• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Filson had to cancel my navy medium field bag, apparently it was an inventory error. But then it popped back up on the Clymb (I'd missed it last time it was on there) at a similar price (found a $10 coupon, so it was $122 after tax, vs. $108 at Filson, not worth crying over $14). We'll see if this goes through.

Someone earlier on this thread actually mentioned that these field bags were a limited run of 30? Any information on how it's possible that a 30-piece run is being sold on clearance? Perhaps these were actually just dealer samples, or overruns?

nickwjd

Reaction score
Argghh. The navy zippered tote is back on The Clymb at $69. I just bought it at UO last week at $99. :(

Oh well, just posting this in case anyone else was eyeing it.

thechad1215

Reaction score
Just a heads up, if anyone else used the visa/giltcity deal last month for OnwardReserve.com but didn't get their order in before they sold out, OnwardReserve has filsons back in stock as of this morning.

Just ordered a tan 257 and matching small duffle.
biggrin.gif
Be aware, they've jacked up some of the prices to match filson's website. Had to pay an extra $35 for the duffle.

-Chad

Cancer

Reaction score
My Filson 256 has started to smell due to moisture. It was kept for sometime in an enclosed space while it was still slightly damp.

Is there anyway to clean the bag and remove the smell? I've tried water and a damp cloth, and even vodka.

Also, should I look into rewaxing the bag? The oil finish wax on Filson's website seems suitable for the job.

TIA!

gkl

Reaction score
Since this thread is quite massive and search didn't yield the desired results, can anyone advise how wool bags compare to regular waxed canvas ones? Is wool lighter or heavier? More or less rough and stiff?

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this monstrosity:

http://www.filson.com/products/twil...age/rucksacks-and-backpacks&fmetaProduct=1019

It would have been great without the pleated front snap pocket. And... who the hell is going to pay $350 for that? Better off with a GoRuck or any number of options.

Also, it looks like they've learned from the Rucksack that:
1. The rucksack bare-leather straps are ridiculously uncomfortable
2. Having a padded back panel is expected

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Filson 256 has started to smell due to moisture. It was kept for sometime in an enclosed space while it was still slightly damp.

Is there anyway to clean the bag and remove the smell? I've tried water and a damp cloth, and even vodka.

Also, should I look into rewaxing the bag? The oil finish wax on Filson's website seems suitable for the job.

TIA!

Put bag in plastic bag with coffee should remove the smell

Also airing out in sun for a few days is good, might fade bag though

Since this thread is quite massive and search didn't yield the desired results, can anyone advise how wool bags compare to regular waxed canvas ones? Is wool lighter or heavier? More or less rough and stiff?
wool is lighter and less stiff. Sold mine as it didnt hold shape

milw50717

Reaction score
It would have been great without the pleated front snap pocket. And... who the hell is going to pay $350 for that? Better off with a GoRuck or any number of options.

Filson do seem to be in danger of jumping the shark with some of their more recent offerings. I think a lot of these new items will have a short life on the inventory list.

New owners aiming to get more of the trendy urbanite market? Nothing wrong with that if it enables them to keep the quality up and the classic items still available.

converge

Reaction score
My briefcase has a 3/4" thread lingering from where the hand grip was stitched to the handle. I didn't notice this before. Should I cut it off or let it be?

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got my Navy canvas field bag. It's a bit less substantial feeling than the natural canvas field bag I got. Not sure whether I'm going to keep it or not. I really like the veg-tan leather, but I'd also prefer a navy twill bag. Of course, navy twill field bags aren't out yet and the difference in prices is quite compelling.

It'd help if I knew how the canvas was really going to age over time. Or if they would release a navy twill field bag. :)

Adamsapple

Reaction score
So I got my Navy canvas field bag. It's a bit less substantial feeling than the natural canvas field bag I got. Not sure whether I'm going to keep it or not. I really like the veg-tan leather, but I'd also prefer a navy twill bag. Of course, navy twill field bags aren't out yet and the difference in prices is quite compelling.

It'd help if I knew how the canvas was really going to age over time. Or if they would release a navy twill field bag.
smile.gif

If you find some time, could you post some photos of the bag? I'm still on the fence, but leaning toward yes since it's 50% off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads