• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I have tons of Filson. Here's my newest. It is the best gear bag I've found. Here it is packed for a quick trip to the range. My next post will show it unpacked.

fattybfat

Reaction score
[ATTACHMENT=6856]20130712_223635.jpg (941k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

typhoon season is coming so i try to wax my bag, but i seriously mess it up. The bag now looks burned and can the waxed be washed off by warm or hot water or wil it get back to old form after a while ? please help, the picture actually look better than real life

fattybfat

Reaction score

typhoon season is coming so i try to wax my bag, but i seriously mess it up. The bag now looks burned and can the waxed be washed off by warm or hot water or wil it get back to old form after a while ? please help, the picture actually look better than real life

i m gonna reply my own post. I just put a paper bag on top of the fabric and iron it without steam and it actually absorb the excessive wax. I tested out and it did waterproof. but is it normal that the wax will darken the fabric since it contain oil?

Last edited:

milw50717

Reaction score

Not sure that you can do a whole lot about it. Some people have washed their bags, but I don't think that the results have been good. Best to just use it and see how it goes.

FWIW I use scotchguard rather than wax for proofing my bag, but then I don't live in a typhoon prone area.

milw50717

Reaction score

i m gonna reply my own post. I just put a paper bag on top of the fabric and iron it without steam and it actually absorb the excessive wax. I tested out and it did waterproof. but is it normal that the wax will darken the fabric since it contain oil?

Coolio. Good to know that you found something that has made it a bit better. Yes, waxing will darken the material, that is the nature of the beast. Filson are now starting to use a soy wax for their products which seems to leave a lighter looking finish. Haven't seen any touch-up tins of this formulation as yet.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to trade my NWT green 256 bag for a green rucksack, or tan zipper tote
Anyone?

Hype1234

Reaction score
If anyone got the gilcity voucher for onward reserve and hasn't been able to use it because their filson is out of stock, i'm looking to buy one. pm me.

Last edited:

fattybfat

Reaction score

harveyrabbit

Reaction score

Zambrone, Italy.

Rucksack is really working out.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue Canvas Medium Field Bag, $99 + $8/shipping.

Just bought one. Decided that my small natural canvas is beautiful but the size is just a bit too small, and the opening just doesn't quite work for putting an iPad in. Also, the small and white ended up looking a bit too purse like, so that's going on eBay. A natural canvas medium would have beaten the navy, I think, but they're both great. Also, I actually really like the red filson label exposed on it.

As an aside, my experience with the canvas is that while it's obviously not as water resistant as the twill, it gets damp without getting wet, and rain drops do mostly tend to just bead off of them. Also, I noticed with my canvas bag that while the fabric weight is lower (this is listed as 10 oz canvas) it's actually two layers of canvas (One might call that 20 oz total). So that should add a nice amount of ruggedness, and just a bit extra water protection too.

For $100+ less than the twill, and the nicer (imho) veg tan leather, I think it's a winner.

milw50717

Reaction score
Personally, I'd not class the 240 as a messenger style bag and I think comparing it to such will always disappoint. The 240 has always been a bit of an odd bird for me. The zip and straps certainly offer more security and protection and are good when limited access is OK, but when you want to be in an out of the bag at a reasonable speed, not so good.

Filson now have a couple of what I would call true messenger bag in their lineup, but I think I'll be sticking to my Timbuk 2

70025-main-001.jpg

70077-main-281.jpg

70077-alt-1.jpg

70077-alt-2.jpg

Last edited:

Adamsapple

Reaction score
Blue Canvas Medium Field Bag, $99 + $8/shipping.

Just bought one. Decided that my small natural canvas is beautiful but the size is just a bit too small, and the opening just doesn't quite work for putting an iPad in. Also, the small and white ended up looking a bit too purse like, so that's going on eBay. A natural canvas medium would have beaten the navy, I think, but they're both great. Also, I actually really like the red filson label exposed on it.

As an aside, my experience with the canvas is that while it's obviously not as water resistant as the twill, it gets damp without getting wet, and rain drops do mostly tend to just bead off of them. Also, I noticed with my canvas bag that while the fabric weight is lower (this is listed as 10 oz canvas) it's actually two layers of canvas (One might call that 20 oz total). So that should add a nice amount of ruggedness, and just a bit extra water protection too.

For $100+ less than the twill, and the nicer (imho) veg tan leather, I think it's a winner.

Thanks for sharing! Just picked one up myself. I've been wanting a 232 for over a year now, but could never justify the $220+ price tag for my needs. But half off and navy to boot? It doesn't get much better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads