1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. chev4x4

chev4x4 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Is the 256 big on Tom? He is listed as 170cm and 70kg.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  2. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Yes and he is shorter than 170 maybe counting that cap he is

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. RobZ87

RobZ87 Member

Context Clothing has the Large Leather Tote marked down from $985 to $690.

[​IMG]

Still too pricey for me but a good deal if you've had your eye on one.

4. iDoc

iDoc Senior member

Where can I get the best price on the medium field bag 232 in navy?

5. ktown

ktown Senior member

I'm considering buying a small carry-on (70240) as my daily work bag. I like to bring several meals for the workday (smaller, frequent meals, snacks, protein shaker cup) in addition to a couple files of papers. Occasionally I'd also like to use the bag for a weekend trip (change of clothes, shoes, toiletries). Is this bag the right size? I don't like using shoulder straps and much prefer handles. This bag only has a handle on one side which seems a bit weird to me. Are there any other bags of this size with 2 handle straps?

6. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

The double straps and zip could be quite tiresome if you are in and out of the bag a lot.

The single handle/loop is because the bag is to be worn like a messenger bag with the strap.

Why not one of the larger briefcase models :-

Carry On - 15" W x 11 1/2" H x 5" D
    Filson 257 - 16" W x 12 1/2" H x 6" D
    Filson 258 - 16 1/2" W x 14" H x 7 1/2" D

7. HarrisonTran

HarrisonTran Active Member

Has Filson ever made a messenger style bag, or field style bag but with the snap closure similar to the ones found on a 256?

I find the straps on my rucksack much more cumbersome for quick access like milw50717 mentioned.

8. bibs

bibs Senior member

any of you guys know where i can score just the shoulder strap for a 256/257 ?

9. bigred7078

bigred7078 New Member

I just recently bought the 257 and I have a quick question for other owners. My first time bringing the bag along with me, I found the should strap to constantly slip off. The leather shoulder strap pad does not have any type of material under it that would prevent this from happening.

Does this get better with age? Has anyone done anything to make the underside of the shoulder strap pad not so slick? Doing a search I have not been able to come up with anything other than another member here suggesting to scuff up the bottom of that leather piece (being that it is a brand new bag, I would prefer not to do this). Any helpful tips would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]

10. tomatic

tomatic Senior member

filson.com?

11. dcg

dcg Senior member

Reading through this thread, it's funny that a brand which historically has been devoted to the supremely self-reliant (hunters/outdoorsmen/etc.) now attracts individuals who can't decide which size bag is best for their macbook air and juice box without confirming it for the millionth time with a bunch of internet strangers.

3 people like this.
  12. converge

converge Senior member

13. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

You can rough it up with sandpaper. It helps a little but it does get better with age and use.

14. poena

poena Senior member

yup
    took sandpaper to my brand new 257 last year and now just got a 256 and doing it again.

15. bigred7078

bigred7078 New Member

Edit

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  16. bigred7078

bigred7078 New Member

What grit sandpaper did you guys use? Any pictures of what yours looks like roughed up a bit?

17. bibs

bibs Senior member

Awesome thanks !

18. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

Would also load it up with a bunch of stuff to make it good and heavy, and then hang it over a door or the back of a chair for a night or two. That'll bend the strap somewhat, giving it a better fit on your shoulder.

19. tim y

tim y Member

I'm pretty sure that a 258 would satisfy all my needs. What you mentioned is pretty close to what I use it for.

20. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Looking at the 70192 tote briefcase bag, it appears to have 3 snap fasteners for the flap. Maybe someone can confirm that you can use either the buckles or the snap fasteners to secure the flap. Not sure I like the aesthtics of this bag though.

[​IMG]

The 70112 mesenger bag has large quick release buckles. Despite the lack of leather and brass I do like the look of these bags. Note that 12.5 oz material is used throughout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]