• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m definitely not equating this with the Filson Chilean Snack Table or Filson Baseball Bats. I love the idea of a Pipe Roll, but it’s what’s included that has me perplexed...

Filson Leather Pipe Roll. Both the finish and makers mark are tastefully done.

View attachment 1706753

Website Description:

This custom Leather Pipe Roll is custom-made from full-grain leather with pockets for pipe, tools and tobacco. Included with the roll are a pipe, filters, cleaners and tamping/cleaning tool. Basically, everything you need but the tobacco. Albert Einstein, a pretty smart fellow, believed that pipe smoking “contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement.” Perhaps our custom-made roll can help with that.

View attachment 1706761

I can say one thing, Filson needs to do a little more research. I once was an aspiring Pipe aficionado, but it couldn’t surpass my cigar hobby so i cut tail. If you’re going to include accessories, do it right. Pipe smokers usually chuck filters so there’s that, on the other hand there’s the pipe. Not my first choice (or 100th), I’ve never seen a bowl so small before, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. There’s a plethora of cost cutting pipes they could’ve included. Since no tobacco is included why settle on showcasing American Spirit? For a $275 work of art, they could’ve picked something more premium for photograph. Hard pass!
I think this is geared toward the gifting market, not the pipe aficionado market. More of a starter kit than a luxury offering with the exception of the roll itself. With that said it is curious that they provided a pipe. I would think that even as a gift this would be gifted to someone who is already a pipe smoker and likely would have their own. Anyways, it wouldn’t be for me for a lot of reasons, but it doesn’t surprise me that they didn’t go top of the line for the included accessories.

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Arrived home from nine days of hiking to find my first Filson garment awaiting my return. Any guesses..? ? 20211121_215654.jpg

Last edited:

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Arrived home from nine days of hiking to find my first Filson garment awaiting my return. Any guesses..? ? View attachment 1707347
It’s a Filson Log Carrier in tan that you, “Mr. Creative”, are going to try to wear as a halter top.

Congratulations on your first one! The little bit we’ve seen looks nice.:)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arrived home from nine days of hiking to find my first Filson garment awaiting my return. Any guesses..? ? View attachment 1707347

Filson Fly Fishing Guide Vest or the 5 Pocket Dry Tin Pants.

Considering you’re from an area that doesn’t require coats and jackets for warmth, and near a great body of water, that’s my best guess. Plus the material looks to be a Dry Tin, Cover Cloth or maybe even a lighter weight Rugged Twill. That would exclude much of what Filson offers in either Tin Cloth & Mackinaw Wool.

Last edited:

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Dry tin indeed... though wearing the log carrier as a halter top cracked me up! ??

Seems another clue is in order: ? 20211122_063707.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dry tin indeed... though wearing the log carrier as a halter top cracked me up! ??

Seems another clue is in order: ? View attachment 1707680

I must admit this doesn’t usually happen to me, but I’m stumped. The Filson label leads me to believe it’s a recent production, at least during the last 5 years.

pobe

Reaction score
This thread is awesome... No, I haven't read all of it, keep discovering new pages :)

Any love for black bags? I had a tan 256 a short while, but it was a bit on the small side at the moment. I was carrying quite a lot those days. Now I carry less so I thought I'd give it a try. Then I found a black 257 used sort of locally (at least in the same country) and being a pastor/priest black is a great color for work - even if green or tan would be more my thing. Waiting for it to arrive, I'll post some pictures when it does!

Edit: just realised this is my first real post! I've lurked here a bit now and then, mostly in different briefcase threads.

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
This thread is awesome... No, I haven't read all of it, keep discovering new pages :)

Any love for black bags? I had a tan 256 a short while, but it was a bit on the small side at the moment. I was carrying quite a lot those days. Now I carry less so I thought I'd give it a try. Then I found a black 257 used sort of locally (at least in the same country) and being a pastor/priest black is a great color for work - even if green or tan would be more my thing. Waiting for it to arrive, I'll post some pictures when it does!

Edit: just realised this is my first real post! I've lurked here a bit now and then, mostly in different briefcase threads.

Welcome! I am a black bag lover and own a black 257 too, my first Filson, and love it. I have some photos a few pages back. It can carry quite a lot--I'm an academic so often have a couple medical textbooks in there--and it's good to know the weight won't bother it. The internal pockets are great for organising small things but eat up a bit of the centre space, so some folk remove that panel.

There was a black 24 Hour on sale locally around the time I bought the 257, but I didn't pull the trigger since it seemed unjustifiable, though I often wish I had been frivolous as it was just gorgeous! They're much less common but I think the Filson lines look fantastic in black, and look tidier and a bit more lowkey than the usual outdoorsy shades.

Stratkat

Reaction score
I would second OtterMeanGreen's comment above. Any of the following would be amazing:
- Heritage Sportsman: As classic as they come. If he's an outdoorsman, he'll find a million uses for it over his lifetime.
- classic twill medium Duffle - as stated above although the Sportsman speaks to me more than the duffle (for your son's purposes)
- 48 hour duffle - Doesn't have the long legacy like the more traditional duffles, but it's an instant classic in the world of Filson. I have one and it's amazing for weekend trips. There is none better for that.

All that said, I'd go with the Sportsman. My reasoning: Over his life, he'll change weekend bags (will probably even go with a rolling suitcase one day) as his tastes and needs (family, etc.) will change. The one bag that can be his CONSTANT companion is the Heritage Sportsman.

I've used mine for overnight travel, for shooting range trips, for fishing excursions, for a 'trunk bag', for camping trips, to carry tools for woodworking and carpentry, to carry wine and whiskey (not ideal) and I'm sure I'll find a hundred reasons more. I'd go with that one for your son. Let him in on a little bit of the Filson history and he'll like it even more.
honestly its hard to beat this pair, between them you have so many options covered!
tempImageOk0BBH.png

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And yet I still have no idea, you’re good! I l’m almost sure it’s a Filson Vest, which would make sense with your hobbies, climate and job. Problem is I haven’t located one with those features and “Motto-less” Tag (made that one up lol). That one pocket looks to be on the outside as I haven’t seen pen pockets on the inside of a garment item.

F8E13FA6-D306-4E31-A960-F16D02589886.gif

Speaking of Vests, I’ve seen this being labeled as having 20 pockets, I wonder if that’s accurate. I’m loving the Otter Green version

4D2142EA-32A6-438B-9756-338FB38AF222.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welcome aboard in that case! If you’re reading the forum then there’s a chance you’ve happened upon one of my Filson Color Competition Counts. Although Black was discovered to be the least popular color behind Brown, it still patina’s in a way that is unique and quite favorable I think.

Much like Navy, the Black Twill features a white-like weft similar to that of a well patinaed pair of Raw Denim

7E91B563-BD1D-46BD-8531-914DBD67ABF3.jpeg

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
And yet I still have no idea, you’re good! I l’m almost sure it’s a Filson Vest, which would make sense with your hobbies, climate and job. Problem is I haven’t located one with those features and “Motto-less” Tag (made that one up lol). That one pocket looks to be on the outside as I haven’t seen pen pockets on the inside of a garment item.

View attachment 1708327

Speaking of Vests, I’ve seen this being labeled as having 20 pockets, I wonder if that’s accurate. I’m loving the Otter Green version

View attachment 1708328

I cannot believe I have you guys stumped! Nope, not a vest... though those look awesome, and I agree the OG version is best. I'll add another clue later on today, but I was sure the pocket photo would make it obvious! The pocket is indeed on the outside.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe I have you guys stumped! Nope, not a vest... though those look awesome, and I agree the OG version is best. I'll add another clue later on today, but I was sure the pocket photo would make it obvious! The pocket is indeed on the outside.

Since you put it that way I’m gonna say it’s a Short Cruiser, but I’m still not convinced with this fly in this ointment:

What is this...

BD770A50-6E95-43DF-9F2F-3434CD7E7955.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads