• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be bummed too.

There is a lot more knowledge on the part of sellers on what they have these days so it’s rarer to find a deal like this. You can see it with use of “talon” or “workshop” or “restoration” in the description (even when it’s not FRD but just a repair).

I suspect this is directly a result of people reading this forum. And OMG, I think you were the first - or at least the most prolific - on posting on the virtues of the Talon era stuff so ironically you may have raised the prices on your own subsequent purchases!
This is pretty amusing. And I tend to agree - as far as I have found this group is the best informed and the most prolific (and nicest by far) anywhere.
I’m suddenly thinking that Talon stuff is terrible and the old school nylon and leather passage line items are where it’s at. Anyone currently holding talon items should dump it ASAP and switch to passage line. Or Tumi.
:)

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not having luck with the Filson Winter Sale this year. The lined cruiser vest pops up out of nowhere but already sold out. The red mackinaw duffle reappeared but I know now it’s more on the orange spectrum of red. Still crossing my fingers.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is pretty amusing. And I tend to agree - as far as I have found this group is the best informed and the most prolific (and nicest by far) anywhere.
I’m suddenly thinking that Talon stuff is terrible and the old school nylon and leather passage line items are where it’s at. Anyone currently holding talon items should dump it ASAP and switch to passage line. Or Tumi.
:)

I saw this with watch collecting years ago. Today, anyone with an internet connection knows what is hot and desirable within an hour of googling. Buyers and sellers have almost perfect information.

For example, I remember a time where there were regularly these very weathered Talon bags (often with X on the label) sold regularly on the famed auction site for relatively little. I also remember people giving me a double-take twenty years ago when I showed up for a flight with my large carry-on 242 in that era of black ballistic Tumi garment bags and baggy pleated microfiber suits.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not having luck with the Filson Winter Sale this year. The lined cruiser vest pops up out of nowhere but already sold out. The red mackinaw duffle reappeared but I know now it’s more on the orange spectrum of red. Still crossing my fingers.
My wife likes my medium field bag that I use while walking dog through the fields, so used the winter sale to get her a small field bag, and if she doesn't like it.............It's mine, as I think the size would actually be better for what I use the medium for. Except for hauling back "decorative rocks" for wife's garden.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be bummed too.

There is a lot more knowledge on the part of sellers on what they have these days so it’s rarer to find a deal like this. You can see it with use of “talon” or “workshop” or “restoration” in the description (even when it’s not FRD but just a repair).

I suspect this is directly a result of people reading this forum. And OMG, I think you were the first - or at least the most prolific - on posting on the virtues of the Talon era stuff so ironically you may have raised the prices on your own subsequent purchases!

I suspect you are right. So that means I will have to contact @GzStudio and @TinMan3 with my bank information for my commission for all past and present transactions :lol:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say I am not a fan of the way this looks, but I'm sure it is for someone. I don't believe I have seen one of these before in this wash.

@Rymanocerous I forgot are you still looking for one of these? One of the zippers have been replaced by the factory but the main entry are still Talons. Price isn't too shabby either.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect you are right. So that means I will have to contact @GzStudio and @TinMan3 with my bank information for my commission for all past and present transactions :lol:
Much of what I sell these days isn’t driven as much by the “vintage” component. Obviously some things are but I find the discontinued or special edition items to be the easiest to sell. Surprisingly (or maybe not) is that clothing has a larger market than the bags!

Definitely agree though that this group has educated the Filson masses on vintage quality of the 1990’s.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much of what I sell these days isn’t driven as much by the “vintage” component. Obviously some things are but I find the discontinued or special edition items to be the easiest to sell. Surprisingly (or maybe not) is that clothing has a larger market than the bags!

Definitely agree though that this group has educated the Filson masses on vintage quality of the 1990’s.

Most people will think an old weathered Filson bag looks ‘cool’ but I think when it comes to plopping down their money for something they intend for personal use, I think most will still want something new or nearly new like recently discontinued or special editions. Of course, the hard core Filsonados will always pay a premium for the vintage Talon pieces with the perfect patina which keeps their prices high, but I still think they are in the minority.

woodsjw

Reaction score
Hey all! Been awhile... I’m thinning out a few items that aren’t getting much use and thought someone here might be interested in a Filson Medium Rugged Suede Duffle. Same one that’s currently on the Filson Winter Sale for $499. Mines in like new condition, includes the Filson storage/dust bag and I’m asking $350 for it.

Let me me know if you’re interested!

Happy New Year!

woodsjw

Reaction score
Here's a few photos of it. (Thanks @TinMan3
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg
s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-7.jpg
s-l1600-8.jpg
s-l1600-9.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
)

s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy New Years Brothers of Filson! Been a fun year, hope 2020 is even better. I started 2019 out with a meeting of the minds at Filson's new NYC Flagship with @mgrennier and @Davey13 (who I'm not positive is a member on here anymore). I hope 2020 brings many more of us closer. I know more then a few have had first time meets this year and that is one of the best things I love about this place and Filson. Who would've thought a luggage and outdoor inspired clothing company could bring so many of us together.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Rymanocerous I forgot are you still looking for one of these? One of the zippers have been replaced by the factory but the main entry are still Talons. Price isn't too shabby either.

Tanks for thinking of me. Still holding out for the right one. Replaced zipper and the relisted price are an easy pass on this one.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tanks for thinking of me. Still holding out for the right one. Replaced zipper and the relisted price are an easy pass on this one.

Sheesh that sucks, he must've checked out this forum and realized he has a Talon Era :lol: and adjusted his price. I won't fault you for waiting for the right one, been more then a few times I've done that and it's paid for itself in dividends

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads