• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the backpack I'm looking to buy is a little far off and I'm excited to share it with all of you, I will share my decisions below and why I chose it. It will also explain why I went with a certain kind of packing cubes and shirt folder, as I think the name on it would be a dead giveaway if I wasn't sharing my decision

Runner Up:
I had it narrowed down to the GoRuck GR1 26L in Ranger Green (when available) for just under $300. I researched the GoRuck packing cube and found it to not adequately fit in the 26L without rendering the rest of the interior useless. So I would have to buy an array of Eagle Creek and hope that it fits like a glove (as they weren't tailor made for the specs).

Winner:
The other backpack was the Minaal 2.0 Carry-On in Vancouver Grey for basically the same price as the 26L GoRuck. This was the winner and I will tell you why in as brief of a way as I know how to. For the same price as the GoRuck 26L you essentially are getting a whole 10L extra. It's not far off in terms of durability; a reviewer took it on the road for 8 months and lived out of it everyday, and it held up almost perfectly. The Vancouver Grey will patina a little and avoid the ballistic appearance. For a reasonable price it comes with a set of packing cubes & shirt folder that is model specific, that are all of high tested quality. On a side note I do plan on modding it a little, by adding a custom Velcro patch to the outer shell (a nod to the GoRuck). Another great trait is that the shoulder straps have retention straps to help take some of the weight off your shoulders. There is also a ton of usable interior storage and a pretty nifty expandable rain cover.

https://www.minaal.com/products/minaal-carry-on-bag?variant=12494163140

https://packhacker.com/travel-gear/minaal/carry-on-2-0-bag/

minaal.jpg

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that! Admittedly I am not a big Starbucks fan, as they were the enemy to small business roasters like us, but I do have to admit that is quite an awesome presentation. As a bourbon guy I like the Knob Creek collaboration, how did you like it? Love the flight setup with glass tumbler's too. That is quite a roaster too; I'd say it's at least a 20lb batch. We had a modest 5LB Batch Roaster as seen below. It was fully electric and whisper quiet, but achieved 500 degree espresso roasts.

View attachment 1049675

I can appreciate the sentiment regarding Starbucks. And in fact, there were several other neighborhood coffee shops on Pike Street that I am sure have patrons who feel similarly. But I went to the Starbucks Reserve more for just the spectacle of it all. And typically frequent neighborhood places when possible.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya know Tinman I said I’d rather have a leather field satchel which is not part of my ‘collection’. It’s an opinion. Was the point of this forum to agree with everyone else’s choices?

I don’t think it’s the opinion itself but the reactive context in which it was given that is problematic.

It was the forum equivalent of a coworker proudly showing his brand new convertible sports car in the office parking lot and you saying to him “hmph, I would always get the hardtop as I think the soft top looks feminine somehow”

I think a man who is smart enough to figure out how to make guitars by hand knows this.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate the sentiment regarding Starbucks. And in fact, there were several other neighborhood coffee shops on Pike Street that I am sure have patrons who feel similarly. But I went to the Starbucks Reserve more for just the spectacle of it all. And typically frequent neighborhood places when possible.

I appreciate you putting emphasis on shopping SMALL and local. If I can be honest even I have shopped at Starbucks over the years, as in a pinch you can't beat that free wifi and all day seating (with a purchase or two). Plus how else can I offer a better product if I don't first try out the competition. I was on Pike Street myself during a business research trip; went to the famous market before doing the Underground Tour. Seattle and Portland are two of the only places in the country that can literally have a small business cafe open up next to a Starbucks and quite literally shut them down within a year :lol:

GzStudio

Reaction score
Since the backpack I'm looking to buy is a little far off and I'm excited to share it with all of you, I will share my decisions below and why I chose it. It will also explain why I went with a certain kind of packing cubes and shirt folder, as I think the name on it would be a dead giveaway if I wasn't sharing my decision

Runner Up:
I had it narrowed down to the GoRuck GR1 26L in Ranger Green (when available) for just under $300. I researched the GoRuck packing cube and found it to not adequately fit in the 26L without rendering the rest of the interior useless. So I would have to buy an array of Eagle Creek and hope that it fits like a glove (as they weren't tailor made for the specs).

Winner:
The other backpack was the Minaal 2.0 Carry-On in Vancouver Grey for basically the same price as the 26L GoRuck. This was the winner and I will tell you why in as brief of a way as I know how to. For the same price as the GoRuck 26L you essentially are getting a whole 10L extra. It's not far off in terms of durability; a reviewer took it on the road for 8 months and lived out of it everyday, and it held up almost perfectly. The Vancouver Grey will patina a little and avoid the ballistic appearance. For a reasonable price it comes with a set of packing cubes & shirt folder that is model specific, that are all of high tested quality. On a side note I do plan on modding it a little, by adding a custom Velcro patch to the outer shell (a nod to the GoRuck). Another great trait is that the shoulder straps have retention straps to help take some of the weight off your shoulders. There is also a ton of usable interior storage and a pretty nifty expandable rain cover.

https://www.minaal.com/products/minaal-carry-on-bag?variant=12494163140

https://packhacker.com/travel-gear/minaal/carry-on-2-0-bag/

View attachment 1049820

Very interesting. I am a fan of tactical type backpacks. For some reason, whenever I use a backpack, it is a minimal Arcteryx backpack. Mainly for water resistance/proofness, has a great feel (the material used and how it fits), and works for how I need it to.

woodsjw

Reaction score
I appreciate you putting emphasis on shopping SMALL and local. If I can be honest even I have shopped at Starbucks over the years, as in a pinch you can't beat that free wifi and all day seating (with a purchase or two). Plus how else can I offer a better product if I don't first try out the competition. I was on Pike Street myself during a business research trip; went to the famous market before doing the Underground Tour. Seattle and Portland are two of the only places in the country that can literally have a small business cafe open up next to a Starbucks and quite literally shut them down within a year :lol:

Speaking of backpacks... I recently picked up a pretty rare GORUCK GR1. A few years ago GR released 4 color variations of the GR1 in a few of their original colors but with black Molle. Each of the 4 were made in batches of 100 or less.

The java and black goes nicely with my Filson gear.

40EF62FF-9C23-4B33-83ED-CD2A6296DB6F.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of backpacks... I recently picked up a pretty rare GORUCK GR1. A few years ago GR released 4 color variations of the GR1 in a few of their original colors but with black Molle. Each of the 4 were made in batches of 100 or less.

The java and black goes nicely with my Filson gear.

View attachment 1050204

How many GoRucks do you have currently? The Java is a really nice color, especially when paired with a Filson. I'm still on the search for my next carryon roller. The AWAY rollers are very nice but they just don't call out to me yet like the Burton x Filson Flight Deck Roller. Too bad it's rarer than rare at the moment.

For some reason, whenever I use a backpack, it is a minimal Arcteryx backpack

It's nice having a go-to already in place, less to have to waste time over deciding. I've been debating all day what kind of packing cubes I want, doing all types of analysis's. Think the Eagle Creek Specter's are still king though, as the GoRuck (which I really wanted) 20L is just a little too big if say I wanted to use it in the Minaal or Tote #261. Versatility is still the focus.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was pretty entertaining. It's like a guide to becoming a hipster. Filson, Pendleton, Red Wing, and Barbour all received honorable mentions. I think it's meant as lighthearted comedy and not made to be taken literally.

hipster 101.jpg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was pretty entertaining. It's like a guide to becoming a hipster. Filson, Pendleton, Red Wing, and Barbour all received honorable mentions. I think it's meant as lighthearted comedy and not made to be taken literally.

View attachment 1050330

2 things - packing cubes. My experience is that size variety and good zips are the most important. Size so you can fit folded shirts in one, and underwear etc in others. Good zips because you’ll use them a lot and they take pressure when the cube is full.

On the hipster matrix - I saw this somewhere too recently. Agree it’s tongue in cheek but also think it shows that modern designers are looking for the heritage connection because it’s interesting and (dare I say) “authentic”.
Whilst I own Barbour, Redwing, Pendleton, Filson and LL Bean stuff, I use them for what they are meant for and don’t pair them with modern or stylistically unsuitable stuff for the sake of fashion. I just want classic, hardwearing, quality items that look good and age well. “Heritage” stuff tends to be heritage because it is all of these things.
I can’t be a hipster because despite being bearded and vegan, I have no tattoos...

woodsjw

Reaction score
How many GoRucks do you have currently?

Ummm... well first let me say that I collected GORUCK gear long before I ever owned anything from Filson... I've probably had 20+ GR bags that I've bought, used for a bit and ended up selling over the last 5-6 years.

Currently, I think I have 9... 3 GR2s, 4 GR1s, and 2 Kit Bags, but I've only paid full price once. I generally pick them up during their Christmas in July sale or around Black Friday and I usually pay 50% or below the retail price.

The great thing about the GR bags is they really hold their value, especially when a color is out of stock or discontinued. I could easily sell what I have currently and double or even triple my investment.

woodsjw

Reaction score
2 things - packing cubes. My experience is that size variety and good zips are the most important. Size so you can fit folded shirts in one, and underwear etc in others. Good zips because you’ll use them a lot and they take pressure when the cube is full.

On the hipster matrix - I saw this somewhere too recently. Agree it’s tongue in cheek but also think it shows that modern designers are looking for the heritage connection because it’s interesting and (dare I say) “authentic”.

Whilst I own Barbour, Redwing, Pendleton, Filson and LL Bean stuff, I use them for what they are meant for and don’t pair them with modern or stylistically unsuitable stuff for the sake of fashion. I just want classic, hardwearing, quality items that look good and age well. “Heritage” stuff tends to be heritage because it is all of these things.
I can’t be a hipster because despite being bearded and vegan, I have no tattoos...

Hipster is a funny term... is it a negative or neutral descriptor? It kind of depends on the person applying the label... I've kind of just learned over the years that I buy and wear what I like and don't worry too much about what others might think of it.

Life's too short to worry about what someone else is wearing or what someone else thinks of my clothes. ;)

smcguirt

Reaction score
Ummm... well first let me say that I collected GORUCK gear long before I ever owned anything from Filson... I've probably had 20+ GR bags that I've bought, used for a bit and ended up selling over the last 5-6 years.

Currently, I think I have 9... 3 GR2s, 4 GR1s, and 2 Kit Bags, but I've only paid full price once. I generally pick them up during their Christmas in July sale or around Black Friday and I usually pay 50% or below the retail price.

The great thing about the GR bags is they really hold their value, especially when a color is out of stock or discontinued. I could easily sell what I have currently and double or even triple my investment.
My fellow goruck brother! Haha! I love some goruck too! Goruck is how me and @woodsjw became friends and then he turned me onto to Filson! I have the same addiction and have similar GR numbers maybe a few [emoji6] more! However I have recently added a journeyman backpack to my filson lineup and really liking it so far.
20181005_134508.jpeg

Emthigious

Reaction score
Maybe not the most spectacular mod every, but I found the shoulder strap to my 256 *way* more useful without the shoulder pad. The pad doesn't really do that much in terms of weight distribution (at least not that I noticed) -- but I was always fiddling with it. Sometimes I carry my bag on the left shoulder, sometimes the right one, sometimes to my side, sometimes flung on my back. Every time the pad would be in the exact wrong spot so it would annoy me.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Maybe not the most spectacular mod every, but I found the shoulder strap to my 256 *way* more useful without the shoulder pad. The pad doesn't really do that much in terms of weight distribution (at least not that I noticed) -- but I was always fiddling with it. Sometimes I carry my bag on the left shoulder, sometimes the right one, sometimes to my side, sometimes flung on my back. Every time the pad would be in the exact wrong spot so it would annoy me.

I agree and that is why I use the wide leather shoulder strap in place of the padded. Mine is from a talon extra large duffle, but you can buy the new version from Filson now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads