1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

Both the Journeyman and AWAY is looking really good here. I must say those AWAY rollers are looking better each day. How does your Journeyman carry when packed full? Do you experience any shoulder blade pulling (think Rucksack)?

That's a Chase Reeves word :lol: Does you AWAY have that built in battery?

2. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

The Journeyman carries VERY well fully loaded. No problems at all.

Carried it all through NYC and today in SFO. No problems at all.

Yes the Away has the built in battery. Use it all the time. Easy and convenient.

They have a 100 day return policy so it’s easy as hell.

3. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

Packing cubes are an absolute must have. No doubt. I have a bunch of the Eagle Creek ones. Very lightweight. Expensive but you only have to buy them once.

Compression cubes are awesome for t shirts, underwear and socks. I use them all the time - as in- every single trip.

I probably have a collection of 10 different sizes and shapes. Some compression. Some not.

I’m a packing efficiency nut so highly recommend them. Just so easy to pack and unpack when on the road.

4. Tom Lebrando

Tom Lebrando Senior Member

OMG,

I really like packing cubes for travel, especially the eagle creek variety. If you are just looking to save a little space in the bag a compression sack or two should work well too, but if you overdo the compression packing you may end up feeling like you are carrying an MTB full of boulders. Your strength and stature may entirely mitigate this possibility however.

5. OtterMeanGreen

Another very informative review by yourself, thanks for taking the time to post and share it here. :fonz:

6. OtterMeanGreen

That's good to know about the Journeyman. I was worried that it suffered from the shoulder blade pulling that the Rucksack suffers from. How does the padding feel on your shoulders after awhile (especially with a light shirt on)? Does the padding suffice?

I am on the fence about buying Eagle Creek, the large GoRuck two sided cube, or the ones that come separately with the backpack that i am looking at (tailor made for the bags specs). This way it's one less thing I need to buy for the backpack. Decisions decisions...always always.

The Eagle Creek specter ones are nice because they are sleek and lightweight but I worry about them sliding around too much. Not sure how I feel about the compression cubes yet but I will consider one after the fact if the cubes don't completely suffice.

7. OtterMeanGreen

EXCELLENT POINT!! I had not considered that. Makes total sense if you think about it. Compression sacks will compress the weight together; while saving on space it might extenuate the feeling of weight. Packing cubes, a shirt folder, loose packed clothes & a dopp might be the method of choice for me and my athletic but svelte frame :lol:

8. OtterMeanGreen

Since the backpack I'm looking to buy is a little far off and I'm excited to share it with all of you, I will share my decisions below and why I chose it. It will also explain why I went with a certain kind of packing cubes and shirt folder, as I think the name on it would be a dead giveaway if I wasn't sharing my decision

Runner Up:
    I had it narrowed down to the GoRuck GR1 26L in Ranger Green (when available) for just under $300. I researched the GoRuck packing cube and found it to not adequately fit in the 26L without rendering the rest of the interior useless. So I would have to buy an array of Eagle Creek and hope that it fits like a glove (as they weren't tailor made for the specs).

Winner:
    The other backpack was the Minaal 2.0 Carry-On in Vancouver Grey for basically the same price as the 26L GoRuck. This was the winner and I will tell you why in as brief of a way as I know how to. For the same price as the GoRuck 26L you essentially are getting a whole 10L extra. It's not far off in terms of durability; a reviewer took it on the road for 8 months and lived out of it everyday, and it held up almost perfectly. The Vancouver Grey will patina a little and avoid the ballistic appearance. For a reasonable price it comes with a set of packing cubes & shirt folder that is model specific, that are all of high tested quality. On a side note I do plan on modding it a little, by adding a custom Velcro patch to the outer shell (a nod to the GoRuck). Another great trait is that the shoulder straps have retention straps to help take some of the weight off your shoulders. There is also a ton of usable interior storage and a pretty nifty expandable rain cover.

https://www.minaal.com/products/minaal-carry-on-bag?variant=12494163140

https://packhacker.com/travel-gear/minaal/carry-on-2-0-bag/

minaal.jpg

9. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

I can appreciate the sentiment regarding Starbucks. And in fact, there were several other neighborhood coffee shops on Pike Street that I am sure have patrons who feel similarly. But I went to the Starbucks Reserve more for just the spectacle of it all. And typically frequent neighborhood places when possible.

10. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

I don’t have it near me right now but here is a stock pic.

EA7B2F21-4345-41D7-82AA-BF9F720CA5FB.jpeg

11. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

I don’t think it’s the opinion itself but the reactive context in which it was given that is problematic.

It was the forum equivalent of a coworker proudly showing his brand new convertible sports car in the office parking lot and you saying to him “hmph, I would always get the hardtop as I think the soft top looks feminine somehow”

I think a man who is smart enough to figure out how to make guitars by hand knows this.

12. OtterMeanGreen

I appreciate you putting emphasis on shopping SMALL and local. If I can be honest even I have shopped at Starbucks over the years, as in a pinch you can't beat that free wifi and all day seating (with a purchase or two). Plus how else can I offer a better product if I don't first try out the competition. I was on Pike Street myself during a business research trip; went to the famous market before doing the Underground Tour. Seattle and Portland are two of the only places in the country that can literally have a small business cafe open up next to a Starbucks and quite literally shut them down within a year :lol:

13. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

Very interesting. I am a fan of tactical type backpacks. For some reason, whenever I use a backpack, it is a minimal Arcteryx backpack. Mainly for water resistance/proofness, has a great feel (the material used and how it fits), and works for how I need it to.

14. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

Speaking of backpacks... I recently picked up a pretty rare GORUCK GR1. A few years ago GR released 4 color variations of the GR1 in a few of their original colors but with black Molle. Each of the 4 were made in batches of 100 or less.

The java and black goes nicely with my Filson gear.

40EF62FF-9C23-4B33-83ED-CD2A6296DB6F.jpeg

15. OtterMeanGreen

How many GoRucks do you have currently? The Java is a really nice color, especially when paired with a Filson. I'm still on the search for my next carryon roller. The AWAY rollers are very nice but they just don't call out to me yet like the Burton x Filson Flight Deck Roller. Too bad it's rarer than rare at the moment.

It's nice having a go-to already in place, less to have to waste time over deciding. I've been debating all day what kind of packing cubes I want, doing all types of analysis's. Think the Eagle Creek Specter's are still king though, as the GoRuck (which I really wanted) 20L is just a little too big if say I wanted to use it in the Minaal or Tote #261. Versatility is still the focus.