1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

This was pretty entertaining. It's like a guide to becoming a hipster. Filson, Pendleton, Red Wing, and Barbour all received honorable mentions. I think it's meant as lighthearted comedy and not made to be taken literally.

hipster 101.jpg

2. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

2 things - packing cubes. My experience is that size variety and good zips are the most important. Size so you can fit folded shirts in one, and underwear etc in others. Good zips because you’ll use them a lot and they take pressure when the cube is full.

On the hipster matrix - I saw this somewhere too recently. Agree it’s tongue in cheek but also think it shows that modern designers are looking for the heritage connection because it’s interesting and (dare I say) “authentic”.
    Whilst I own Barbour, Redwing, Pendleton, Filson and LL Bean stuff, I use them for what they are meant for and don’t pair them with modern or stylistically unsuitable stuff for the sake of fashion. I just want classic, hardwearing, quality items that look good and age well. “Heritage” stuff tends to be heritage because it is all of these things.
    I can’t be a hipster because despite being bearded and vegan, I have no tattoos...

3. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

Ummm... well first let me say that I collected GORUCK gear long before I ever owned anything from Filson... I've probably had 20+ GR bags that I've bought, used for a bit and ended up selling over the last 5-6 years.

Currently, I think I have 9... 3 GR2s, 4 GR1s, and 2 Kit Bags, but I've only paid full price once. I generally pick them up during their Christmas in July sale or around Black Friday and I usually pay 50% or below the retail price.

The great thing about the GR bags is they really hold their value, especially when a color is out of stock or discontinued. I could easily sell what I have currently and double or even triple my investment.

4. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

Hipster is a funny term... is it a negative or neutral descriptor? It kind of depends on the person applying the label... I've kind of just learned over the years that I buy and wear what I like and don't worry too much about what others might think of it.

Life's too short to worry about what someone else is wearing or what someone else thinks of my clothes. ;)

5. smcguirt

smcguirt Member

My fellow goruck brother! Haha! I love some goruck too! Goruck is how me and @woodsjw became friends and then he turned me onto to Filson! I have the same addiction and have similar GR numbers maybe a few more! However I have recently added a journeyman backpack to my filson lineup and really liking it so far. 20181005_134508.jpeg

6. Emthigious

Emthigious Well-Known Member

Maybe not the most spectacular mod every, but I found the shoulder strap to my 256 *way* more useful without the shoulder pad. The pad doesn't really do that much in terms of weight distribution (at least not that I noticed) -- but I was always fiddling with it. Sometimes I carry my bag on the left shoulder, sometimes the right one, sometimes to my side, sometimes flung on my back. Every time the pad would be in the exact wrong spot so it would annoy me.

7. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

I agree and that is why I use the wide leather shoulder strap in place of the padded. Mine is from a talon extra large duffle, but you can buy the new version from Filson now.

8. Emthigious

Emthigious Well-Known Member

Ah yeah that looks way better than a strap with a pad. I do like the width of the standard strap though, it's nice and congruent with the handles. I was going to say that might sound a bit too thought out and obsessed, but then I realized what forum thread I'm in :rotflmao:

9. OtterMeanGreen

That's good advice. I ended up using that exact criteria for my search and ordered a set last night....then realized I picked out the wrong color and cancelled my order. Good ol' REI no cancellation policy stopped me. Luckily I have a store not far from me and can return it there. I found the one I was looking for at Backcountry.com. The set I picked out has a structured medium cube that is good for collared shirts and pants. When it comes in I'll to a packing photo session, as there isn't too many online, especially with a MTB.

Good point on the Hipster Matrix, I wasn't insinuating that anyone here would qualify for being a hipster, even if modern day Filson plays strongly to that market lately. You're right tattoo's are a must these days, especially a sleeve with some kind of fish (not phish mind you :lol:).

10. Rymanocerous

Rymanocerous Senior Member

Huh I have never heard of packing cubes..need to see these in action.

11. OtterMeanGreen

That's cool! Sounds like you've been with the company since the fruition. I have nothing against GoRuck and even considered one of their packing cubes, but since it's a 2-in-one it would be tough to use it with my other bags. I definitely see a Ranger Green GR2 40L in my future or a GR2 34L in Ranger Green. Maybe during that July sale you spoke of. Couldn't imagine paying retail for a GR2 40L ($495), about $200 more than my Talon MTB :lol:. The reason why it lost to the Minaal is due to the back ventilation issue others have experienced on the back when packed for a trip. Something my current BugOutBag suffers from, which prompted this whole search in the first place.

WOW!! I'm glad you said you got them on sale or 50% off, as I was gonna say the classic line, as depicted below.

PoH.png

12. OtterMeanGreen

Believe it or not I never even considered taking mine off and trying it. Since I have the Padless version, I wonder how that would feel. Gonna try it out today with a full packing load and I'll report back on my findings. I have considered the strap that @GzStudio uses which is wider (tapered I think) towards the middle where it carries on on your shoulders.

This place isn't too bad, but I agree we tend to focus on the minute details more than most places. Although I'm sure if you found a Red Wing Forum they would be dissecting what era had the best laces and label material. :fonz:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018

13. OtterMeanGreen

14. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

Going to help my brother in law repair his folk’s deck. The Heritage excels as a tool bag. 38160D3E-2E2D-418A-97F3-F166F9E13D7E.jpeg

15. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

Did you consider the Briggs & Riley Torq Series before you committed to the Away?

Happyish with mine, but there could be some improvements to it.