• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea why the leather is faded and colourless on this Pullman bag? It seems as bleached.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CC-Filson-Seattle-Rugged-Pullman-Duffle-Large-Travel-Hunting-Bag-Brown-Leather/123297547851?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=53210&meid=133b8750e1804528b240e46ff921a54e&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=12&sd=202392690086&itm=123297547851&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&autorefresh=true

s-l1600.jpg

Also does anyone know Troop of London. They make a model inspired in Filson and the reason why I have a Filson now. I bought one of their briefcases for about gbg 20.00 on sales, and got many compliments, however the zipper was crap and only lasts for about 6 months. Then I saw a Filson and realised that was the 'real thing' . I still have two of their bags that I use for going to the gym.

This is just a wild guess but I'm assuming the previous owner put some kind of personal information (like his name/address) on the leather and wanted to remove it, which is what it looks like he did successfully...however he removed a little more than he bargained for :fonz:. Who knows, maybe he even used some kind of paint thinner.

Glad you're enjoying your Filson journey so far, it's nice to have you aboard.

Speaking of paint thinner, anyone here like Mr. Bean?

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That thing is super clean! Not sure it's worth $110K but I guess like Filson luggage, it will get whatever someone is willing to pay. Not much patina though...sorry I had to. :lol:. Where's the custom luggage these things are known to come with?
Considering that the original price was 135k, and given Filson’s collector’s market, he may not be too far off. Anyone know if he is correct that they only made 5 of these?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering that the original price was 135k, and given Filson’s collector’s market, he may not be too far off. Anyone know if he is correct that they only made 5 of these?

Bedrock must've been in charge of pricing :lurk:. When I was at Ferrari, there were many times clients would add very mundane things for INSANE prices. Like the famous Carbon Fiber Cup holder that once cost $4,000 :lol:. Take it from me, exclusivity rarely only demands a premium on the back end, which is why flipping is so commonplace in almost every marketplace. However this takes many many many decades for this to take affect, majorly. Of course this doesn't mean those that decide to do this immediately or within 5 years won't make a profit, as this happens even with Ferrari, but not at such a large affect as below.

Take the now, one of a kind Ferrari 250 GTO (which came out before the Pontiac GTO mind you), that recently sold at auction for $70 Million. Only 36 were produced in the world and they originally sold for $18,000 from 1962 - 1964, which with inflation comes to roughly $148,000. Many of these cars have been either raced/crashed over the years, and most of the others have been lost with the sands of time, maybe even being abandoned in some barn somewhere (which is where the term "barn-find" originates from).

https://www.maxim.com/rides/ferrari-250-gto-sets-auction-record-2018-6

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are the two Backpacks I am now considering. Spoilers...none are Filson :(. My criteria is pretty simple come to think of it, but still come with the usual OtterMeanGreen obsessiveness. Just recently I took a 2 day business trip with a one bag carry. I knew I had to go with a backpack as I was doing 5 exterior energy audit on location for a group of warehouses, so my hands had to be free. I took a train up to Massachusetts from NJ and an Uber to the Hotel. I didn't trust the shady hotel clerks to keep my bag behind the counter, so I took it with me on the Audits. So I performed 5 exterior assessments in 100 degree heat with what seemed liked a cinder-block on my back. The sweat was pouring which had to do with the backpack in part. A unique situation I'm hoping to never have to endure again. I was using this as my one-bag-carry:
https://www.ebags.com/hproduct/soc-...MImfTyne_i3AIVELXACh1uNwG_EAQYASABEgJjAPD_BwE

So my criteria is as follows:
1. It has to be the exact opposite of my Bug-Out Bag above
2. Have weight distributing straps with load bearing tech
3. Have a secure space for a laptop/ipad
4. Have some kind of rain protection
5. Business casual friendly (no snowboarding look)
6. Have a pack-it system in place (clam shell design for packing cubes)
7. Under $375
8. Have the ability to carry 3 days worth and maybe a pair of shoes
This is what I've considered so far:
1. GoRuck GR1: (video mainly shows GR1)
https://www.goruck.com/gr1/

2. Minaal 2.0 Carry-on:
https://www.minaal.com/products/minaal-carry-on-bag

Thoughts?

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea why the leather is faded and colourless on this Pullman bag? It seems as bleached.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CC-Filson-Seattle-Rugged-Pullman-Duffle-Large-Travel-Hunting-Bag-Brown-Leather/123297547851?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=53210&meid=133b8750e1804528b240e46ff921a54e&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=12&sd=202392690086&itm=123297547851&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&autorefresh=true

s-l1600.jpg

Also does anyone know Troop of London. They make a model inspired in Filson and the reason why I have a Filson now. I bought one of their briefcases for about gbg 20.00 on sales, and got many compliments, however the zipper was crap and only lasts for about 6 months. Then I saw a Filson and realised that was the 'real thing' . I still have two of their bags that I use for going to the gym.
That has all the markings of a a Dremel tool used to buff off what I'm guessing were initials or something similar.

woodsjw

Reaction score
There are the two Backpacks I am now considering. Spoilers...none are Filson :(. My criteria is pretty simple come to think of it, but still come with the usual OtterMeanGreen obsessiveness. Just recently I took a 2 day business trip with a one bag carry. I knew I had to go with a backpack as I was doing 5 exterior energy audit on location for a group of warehouses, so my hands had to be free. I took a train up to Massachusetts from NJ and an Uber to the Hotel. I didn't trust the shady hotel clerks to keep my bag behind the counter, so I took it with me on the Audits. So I performed 5 exterior assessments in 100 degree heat with what seemed liked a cinder-block on my back. The sweat was pouring which had to do with the backpack in part. A unique situation I'm hoping to never have to endure again. I was using this as my one-bag-carry:
https://www.ebags.com/hproduct/soc-...MImfTyne_i3AIVELXACh1uNwG_EAQYASABEgJjAPD_BwE

So my criteria is as follows:
1. It has to be the exact opposite of my Bug-Out Bag above
2. Have weight distributing straps with load bearing tech
3. Have a secure space for a laptop/ipad
4. Have some kind of rain protection
5. Business casual friendly (no snowboarding look)
6. Have a pack-it system in place (clam shell design for packing cubes)
7. Under $375
8. Have the ability to carry 3 days worth and maybe a pair of shoes
This is what I've considered so far:
1. GoRuck GR1: (video mainly shows GR1)
https://www.goruck.com/gr1/

2. Minaal 2.0 Carry-on:
https://www.minaal.com/products/minaal-carry-on-bag

Thoughts?

OMG, I've owned 20+ GORUCK backpacks and other products over the last 4-5 years. I still own 6 of their backpacks. 3 GR1's and 3 GR2, like the one you are considering. I can't recommend them enough and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have that would make your decision easier.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, I've owned 20+ GORUCK backpacks and other products over the last 4-5 years. I still own 6 of their backpacks. 3 GR1's and 3 GR2, like the one you are considering. I can't recommend them enough and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have that would make your decision easier.

Sounds to me like OMG needs a nice ballistic nylon Tumi...

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Woods! I will be knocking on your door soon enough as I want to know more about the GoRuck. I do appreciate the overbuilt nature of them and the lifetime warranty of course. Love the Velcro patches you can do to personalize them. Just worried about how heavy they are on your shoulders, which is why the Minaal 2.0 looks so attractive right now

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like OMG needs a nice ballistic nylon Tumi...
Absolutely not!!! For a one bag backpack carry I need to look past the rugged Twill heavy bags. The most important part to me is still longevity, comfort and overbuilt. I want something I won’t need to replace or grow tired of. So the Journeyman is out I guess. But I’m open to suggestions from you guys...as long as it’s not Tumi ;)

woodsjw

Reaction score
Thanks Woods! I will be knocking on your door soon enough as I want to know more about the GoRuck. I do appreciate the overbuilt nature of them and the lifetime warranty of course. Love the Velcro patches you can do to personalize them. Just worried about how heavy they are on your shoulders, which is why the Minaal 2.0 looks so attractive right now

GORUCK packs can be heavy, but I've found their simple/clean layout and their "overbuilt" durability to be worth the extra pound or so... they even break-in and have their own "patina" similar to the Filson bags. I have a GR1 that's nearly 3 years old and it looks better everyday I use it.

Another bag I would put on your radar is the Aer Travel Bag. They just updated their design (Version 2.0) and I think they're worth considering for 1 bag travel. They are also considerably cheaper than the GR2 and the minaal 2.0.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GORUCK packs can be heavy, but I've found their simple/clean layout and their "overbuilt" durability to be worth the extra pound or so... they even break-in and have their own "patina" similar to the Filson bags. I have a GR1 that's nearly 3 years old and it looks better everyday I use it.

Another bag I would put on your radar is the Aer Travel Bag. They just updated their design (Version 2.0) and I think they're worth considering for 1 bag travel. They are also considerably cheaper than the GR2 and the minaal 2.0.

Speaking of ballistic nylon and dufflepacks- I like this new Rover from Defy out of Chicago. Seems like a great execution on the duffle-pack - which seems to be a good solution for airline travel and long walks to the gate as opposed to a full fledged backpack.

DEFY has this industrial/motorcycle/Chicago vibe going on which is kinda cool. And very different from the woodsy/Pacific Northwest/lumber camp vibe of Filson

872B8D76-7D91-4282-9051-2F25A1C35EFF.jpeg

AE53313A-650D-46FD-8298-6E07F7570F1A.jpeg

Last edited:

woodsjw

Reaction score
Speaking of ballistic nylon and dufflepacks- I like this new Rover from Defy out of Chicago. Seems like a great execution on the duffle-pack - which seems to be a good solution for airline travel and long walks to the gate as opposed to a full fledged backpack.

DEFY has this industrial/motorcycle/Chicago vibe going on which is kinda cool. And very different from the woodsy/Pacific Northwest/lumber camp vibe of Filson

View attachment 1017441

View attachment 1017442

I've heard nothing but good things about DEFY. I have several friends who use their gear regularly, but I haven't tried any of it myself... aesthetically, it's a bit too urban for my taste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads