1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

:fonz: Me too. I often search for it on google images. @masayako has a great #257 review video on YouTube that shows how his is set up. It's very entertaining and a well done review. Probably the best I've seen on Youtube...behind Chase Reeves of course (24 Hour Briefcase).

The Midori is simply amazing. The leather smells very fresh and rich. I first got inspired to buy one after watching an incredibly entertaining video from my dedicated Tobacco Pipe channel I follow. I'll post the video below. Since I love pens too, having a great, but compact, notebook helps out a ton. Since I have such a great briefcase now, I enjoy filling it up with quality items, and I am on the search for more which excites me. As far as what the backup battery charges, I am not too sure. I use it mainly for my iphone 7 and my work Ipad. I'll include a link below so you can check it out.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018

2. OtterMeanGreen

Love how you're utilizing the Old World quality Filson Padless Strap on the new duffel. How do you like carrying it when it's half full or a quarter full? Does it sag too much for your liking? That is why I'm loving my #246 more and more each day, the way it's designed prevents the sagging even when carrying empty :lol:. I can now use it for simple weekend trips, which is great because I am now just looking for excuses to use it. I've never been more happy to be proven wrong about the Medium Travel Bag, as I was one of the loudest critics of it on here.

3. OtterMeanGreen

4. OtterMeanGreen

5. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

Yes, I keep my new felt pad strap most of the time, but love the chestnut color of this padless shoulder support so I use it from time to time. However, my wool felt strap is my most used and most favorite.

Half full is probably ideal, but quarter full is no problem either. I don’t find the sagging to be an issue almost ever. Maybe when you only have one heavy item, but very rarely. I typically keep one of my down jackets in the bag just to keep it full enough to hold some shape without adding weight. But really I am impressed with the general design. Since the straps are not sewn on to the sides or the top, it allows the bag to always maintain a good shape. It is the weakness that the rugged suede bag has, and makes for an awkward carry. I will say that the medium travel bag carried very nicely as well, especially when 80% full or less.

6. OtterMeanGreen

Gotcha, thanks.

Can you share a photo of your wool felt strap? I might be in the market for a new strap or at least a new padded insert for my #257. I noticed when carrying it for the first time in the city, that when packed full with a laptop and gear that it can get quite uncomfortable when carrying cross-body. I wonder if this is because the pad-less strap is still quite new and not yet broken in? Thoughts?

I have been looking anxiously for a possible replacement, at least when my laptop is in tow. I had a similar issue with the cotton webbed strap under heavy load. I just want something that is comfortable, but doesn't detract away from the overall design characteristics of Filson. That is why I'm shying away from straps like the SOS or Tom Bihn for now. I've been eyeballing this, but would rather just buy the padded insert, as I very much like the sueded underside of my Filson strap. Plus I can always carry around the other insert and use it when needed, since it's compact enough.

https://www.frostriver.com/shop/luggage/travel-accessories/shoulder-strap-accessories/

frost.PNG

7. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

Sure! Talon vs Wool Felt Pad. Both great strap pads.

CF444F6A-13DF-4D1D-B85A-4E3805B10D41.jpeg

4C022C33-F98F-4180-8C27-FA4B8958ADC2.jpeg

8. OtterMeanGreen

Awesome Strap Pad! That might be perfect for what i'm looking for. How does it feel when carrying on a hot Chicago summer day with only a polo or a dress shirt on?

Wonder where I can buy one of these as I have just learned that they come with the Weatherproof Leather Line.

9. Rymanocerous

Rymanocerous Well-Known Member

So are the padless straps something that pop up with regularity? I don't like this padded version and much prefer my 257 which is padless.

10. OtterMeanGreen

Pad-less Straps are dinosaurs. Rarely popping up on eBay ranging from fare to exuberant in price.

11. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Ok, so here is my new green canvas item...

4BE1B41A-FCA1-46CA-AFC2-F64DCE66CD53.jpeg
    ...just wish the straps were bridle leather!

I’ll shut up now.

12. Davey13

Davey13 Well-Known Member

I was just thinking the same things. Now that I have a perfect for me briefcase, I need some new cool crap to put in it! I'm slowly getting into notebooks like the one you posted, thanks btw, and gonna need a new real good pen. I just don't want any ink spillage in my new bag. I'm even open to fountain pens if I find one that meets my criteria, as the two things I care about are beautiful writing, and leak proof. I know most of the time those two don't really go together.

I'm actually really liking that Midori notebook now, I can see how it can become an every day tool. I was kind of thinking more of a larger size for projects too, so open to any suggestions. The small size of the Travelers notebook looks cool though, and haven't even considered it until now but it does look great for what it is. Just not sure if I should go with something that size or something larger.

Its funny, for my notebooks I tend to like the larger paper for my hands and writing comfortably (I hate trying to write on something tiny like the very small Moleskins, or on the last line or two at the very bottom of a page), BUT when I look back at my notes and writing style, I'm actually wasting a lot of paper as I tend to write bullet point style most of the time, so the skinner size of the travelers notebook might actually work for me.

I know I want college ruled paper, and a beautiful leather cover. I did see something on a kickstarter site called the Endeavor notebook, which used brass screws to hold the cover onto the notebooks, which looked really cool too. But, i don't think it ever came to market but I know there are many options like that.

13. Davey13

Davey13 Well-Known Member

Wow man, that is one beautiful truck. I love the older rovers, but that one is perfect. We need more pics of that thing please.

14. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

Been awhile since I've made a Filson purchase... I'm pretty content with the items I own currently, but have been considering picking up Wool Jac Shirt in Navy or Black... anyone own one? If so, what do you think of it?

15. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

My shoulder has never gotten hot from the wool padding. I don’t think there is enough coverage to really make a difference. As far as sourcing one of these, I honestly don’t know. I know you can’t buy them directly from filson, and I’ve never seen one on eBay, so really not sure.