• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts anyone? I didn't know Filson co-branded with the US Forest Service dating back to the Passage Line. Their logo really helps class the bag up a little I think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FILSON-BAG-US-FOREST-SERVICE-FIELD-BAG-CARRY-ON-LAPTOP-NEVER-USED-LEATHER/192599903823?hash=item2cd7d94e4f:g:IZ0AAOSwc~1bTCV6&_sacat=0&_nkw=filson+carry+on&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

View attachment 1005260
I don't know that I would call this bag classy let alone call this classier than say a 256/257

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking (again) today at the small field bag. It’s a handy size but I wish the side pockets were a bit taller / more functional. For a small bag it’s very stiff with the twill. It almost needs to be made of tin cloth.
All that said, the pictures of broken in ones look fantastic:

View attachment 1005267

This looks perfect for the cell phone, water bottle, keys carrying thing. The full sized one with double straps is almost too big for this purpose.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone notice that the price on some of the weatherproof pieces have been quietly raised....?

$850 for the Briefcase!?!?. What was it before that? :crazy:. I wonder what their excuse for the price increase is, considering most of their stuff is still MiA. With the production outsourcing they've been doing with their "Made in Vietnam" ballistic nylon lines, you'd think the prices might for once come down a little...or at least stay the same.

Last edited:

GzStudio

Reaction score
$850 for the Briefcase!?1?. What was it before that? :crazy:. I wonder what their excuse for the price increase is, considering most of their stuff is still MiA. With the production outsourcing they've been doing with their "Made in Vietnam" ballistic nylon lines, you'd think the prices might for once come down a little...or at least stay the same.

$795 for briefcase and $995 for duffle.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know that I would call this bag classy let alone call this classier than say a 256/257

Don't get me wrong here, I'm certainly not saying this bag was classy, to reiterate I said the logos really help class the bag up. I'm definitely not comparing it to a 256/257 either. However I am saying that I'd rather have this bag over Filson's new "Made in Vietnam" Ballistic Nylon line, the more I look at this particular version, the more it grows on me...if I were to be considering a ballistic nylon bag...which I'm not :fonz:

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong here, I'm certainly not saying this bag was classy, to reiterate I said the logos really help class the bag up. I'm definitely not comparing it to a 256/257 either. However I am saying that I'd rather have this bag over Filson's new "Made in Vietnam" Ballistic Nylon line, the more I look at this particular version, the more it grows on me...if I were to be considering a ballistic nylon bag...which I'm not :fonz:

Ehhhh you are mincing semantics here, and I like it. Allow me to rephrase, I would not classify the bag, the logos or the combination as classy or adding class in anyway. I am on the opposite side, I find all the above to be cheap looking and tacky. And as far as the ballistic nylon in general...:uhoh:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now this is a posting style I have not yet scene. It would totally make sense if he was also selling these items (or in other listings), but that doesn't look like the case here. I get what he's trying to do here, which is tug on the strings of other hobbies that line up with Filson...probably has spent some time on this forum too. Both the Jeans and Boots are very nice looking, however it's off-putting and confusing to feature it as the main listing picture (to me at least). It's also a little peculiar he chose to display a Brown Filson against a brown floor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-70257-Brown-Laptop-Briefcase/183303516681?epid=219758783&hash=item2aadbdb209:g:XTYAAOSwoHJbTfgF&_sacat=0&_nkw=filson+briefcase&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1312.R2.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xfilson+ba.TRS2.TSS0

interesting.PNG

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$795 for briefcase and $995 for duffle.

filson cs.PNG

At least I got a straight answer this time, and even a worthy response to by blunt reply. Must be one of the few veteran CS reps left.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now this is a posting style I have not yet scene. It would totally make sense if he was also selling these items (or in other listings), but that doesn't look like the case here. I get what he's trying to do here, which is tug on the strings of other hobbies that line up with Filson...probably has spent some time on this forum too. Both the Jeans and Boots are very nice looking, however it's off-putting and confusing to feature it as the main listing picture (to me at least). It's also a little peculiar he chose to display a Brown Filson against a brown floor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-70257-Brown-Laptop-Briefcase/183303516681?epid=219758783&hash=item2aadbdb209:g:XTYAAOSwoHJbTfgF&_sacat=0&_nkw=filson+briefcase&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1312.R2.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xfilson+ba.TRS2.TSS0

View attachment 1006123

Typically, if I start seeing catalog quality photography in a listing, the price will be somewhere between “too high” and “say what?!”

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1006126

At least I got a straight answer this time, and even a worthy response to by blunt reply. Must be one of the few veteran CS reps left.

I think his answers were decent but I am a bit skeptical about price rises that are way beyond the rate of inflation (when taken cumulatively). Particularly when wages are not increasing anywhere near that amount. I think Filson only drops prices via sales and maybe through grey market channels.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typically, if I start seeing catalog quality photography in a listing, the price will be somewhere between “too high” and “say what?!”

:lol: True. However @GzStudio breaks the mold, as his prices are more than fair, while featuring catalog worthy photography

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think his answers were decent but I am a bit skeptical about price rises that are way beyond the rate of inflation (when taken cumulatively). Particularly when wages are not increasing anywhere near that amount. I think Filson only drops prices via sales and maybe through grey market channels.

Especially when it comes to leather goods. Doesn't the USA lead the market in leather, or at the very least bridle leather goods? I could be wrong here. So I am not sure what he's referencing to when he refers to raw material and sewers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads