1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

Speaking of the weatherproof duffle, I’ve noticed subtle changes between one from 2016 and 2018 that makes me wonder what’s going on. It could be just the one I have, but not sure. There’s a different build tag, the sewing of the d-ring patches is very close to edge instead of in about an 1/8 to 3/16, and the thickness of this patch is thinner as well. The 2016 is un-lined (which I prefer) where as the 18 is fully lined. The leather on the 16 is heavy, soft, & supple. It flat out feels thick and robust. It has a slight cool to the touch ever so slight oily-ness that makes it feel just conditioned. The 18 is soft, almost too smooth/soft but dry. There’s no character to the leather as it’s very uniform and feels thinner and lighter to the 16 bag. Could just be me but it seems apparent with them side by side. I bought another to compare the three and see if there are indeed changes. Just thought I’d share. I’ll work on pictures soon.

2. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

Thanks. He claims to not be able to locate it anywhere so I decided to go with the nerd approach and see if I can coerce a little truth out of this. I need another hobby it looks like. Gonna be getting a Cyclocross bike soon, so that might do the trick

I'm certainly not gonna be doing anything like this as I was already involved in the sport of Downhill MTB, but I'd just thought I'd share this video, because well, it's funny. I am looking forward to starting a new and exciting hobby.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018

3. OtterMeanGreen

Listing has been updated after my assistance with the seller. He was pretty cool about it too, which I greatly respect. The $1,000 dry rot special (Filson Leather Satchel) was not so much, as he didn't even bother responding to a simple question about the authenticity and a little more info than just "Antique bag". Especially taking into account the price he's asking. My advice steer clear of that one.

Rucksack (with a 10 year old denomination):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-Vintage-Rucksack-Backpack-Bag-Otter-Green/132708991742?hash=item1ee61282fe:g:TfgAAOSwMiNbT4Bk&_sacat=0&_nkw=filson+bag&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2062857.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xfilson+bag.TRS2.TSS0

Dry Rot "Filson"?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-FILSON-Field-Black-Leather-Briefcase-Bag-Made-In-USA/283026087378?hash=item41e5ab5dd2:g:5scAAOSwHZhbMasY&_sacat=0&_nkw=filson+bag&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2062857.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xfilson+bag.TRS2.TSS0

4. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

OMG is the Filson Avenger!
    Here’s his oath:

“In brightest day, in blackest night, no fake Talon shall escape my sight, let those who worship eBay’s might, beware my power, Otter Mean Green’s light!!

5. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

That’s disappointing given that I have seen some positive feedback on the rugged suede pouches.

I have a Horween leather non-Filson duffle. The fact that it’s supple and relatively light actually has been a huge advantage as a carry-on so I wouldn’t actively seek out a heavy stiff bag. As I would just use a twill or heavy tin bag if I wanted something that tough for a trip.

6. OtterMeanGreen

Now there's a great idea for my next tattoo, very clever stuff man.

7. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

I also have one and completely agree. It’s heavy and carries pretty awkwardly. It doesn’t fall into itself and compact in the same way the other duffles do. Materials are rock solid, but the design isn’t going to be for me in the long run.

8. OtterMeanGreen

You've been on the forum too long...you're starting to sound just like me :fonz:. I respect your preciseness, the arrows in your quiver are sharp as a nail

9. Davey13

Davey13 Well-Known Member

Downhill MTB is great. Its always been something I enjoy, but I never sprung for the full suspension bikes, always a hardtail for me. Never rode enough now that I drive a car to work to get my money's worth out of some of the setups I wanted to buy, and never really had the balls to go THAT big where I needed it. And no, I would not consider myself all that great but have been doing it since I was a kid.

That Cyclocross thing looks even crazier haha. I don't know if I'd even try it. I like my wider rubber personally. I always did want to get a good racing road bike though. Still on my list...

10. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Have fun! I ran a fixed gear home-brew “scorcher” style gravel/off road ride for a while. I’d ridden fixed on the road a lot previously, but doing same off road was deeply challenging - and lots of fun.

Topic jump: on the subject of rotting leather: i was in a couple of high end vintage stores in London earlier this week. You lot were on my mind as I guessed you’d have appreciated many of the classic designs. Lots of boots, military uniforms from WW2, flight jackets and so on. Whilst the designs were cool the overall quality was at best patchy. In particular the leather on most items including bags and jackets was dry, cracked and looked like it had never been that great to begin with. Sure, some of this stuff was built by mil contractors to a price, but it makes me wonder how our stuff would last for 50-70 years - and - if leather production tech has improved since then?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018

11. stylish_raven

stylish_raven Well-Known Member

I like it. it should combine pretty good with jeans and a flannel shirt

12. OtterMeanGreen

:lol: I was heavily involved in Freeride/Downhill Mountain Biking (MTB) (link to video below) but had to give it up after several trips to the hospital. Fear of internal bleeding in one, broken wrist the other and a concussion for the third. Now I just to regular enduro style MTB and pretty soon Cyclocross. I love MTB (no not Medium Travel Bag...which I also love ;)). There just really isn't a feeling like being alone in the wilderness on a tight flowy single track. I've had a Hardtail before, and a few Full Suspension bikes (including a HEAVY downhill rig).

What I love about Cyclocross (or gravel bikes) is that you can go as fast a road bikes but with the dual purpose tires, you can also go off road. With the rigid suspension you don't suffer from compression loss and a single gear setup removes any guess work for what gear you should be in.

This is the Bike Park I rode at, called Mountain Creek Bike Park. It's an extension of Action Park Water Park, which was world renowned for its danger and many deaths (5 I believe). I went there as a kid and somehow survived. Action Park was the single most inspiration for the new movie Johnny Knoxville starred in ("Action Point"). The Bike Park is just as extreme, even though the mountain isn't much of a mountain, by say Colorado standards (@Fueco )

This rider is the local Pro, which should be obvious by his skill level (which I was nowhere near :lol:)

13. OtterMeanGreen

AH a fellow Fixxie! I use to ride fixed gear and will be incorporating the Bull Horn style bars on my gravel bike. One of my favorite movies is "Premium Rush" with Joseph Gordon Levitt (he rode a fixxie with bullhorns). Fixxie's are certainly a workout, as there is literally no option, besides pedaling.

I hear you on the topic of vintage leather. I have a early 1980's pair of Italian made Bruno Magli Loafers and the leather is quite worn, in a not so good way. Love old military stores, which is exactly what my #257 currently still smells like :-D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018

14. mdwsta4

mdwsta4 Active Member

Honestly, it’s the best thing I’ve done with a bag. It carries exactly how I wanted it to and conforms to my body. Haven’t figured out how to sew the hole up yet; I may just throw on some tape until I figure it out. Or leave it and use it as a stash pocket like on my Saddleback briefcase.

15. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

W
    Will you hurry up and figure out an easy mod? :evolve:

I decided to carry the 261 Zippered Tote on my two day trip I'm (currently) on in San Jose/San Fran - but will want to mod my 48 hour when I get back. I did take Speedy's advice and bend it back and forth a hundred times but it wouldn't break.

Only second time carrying the 261 on a road trip and it's worked quite well, I must say! It was damn near going to be sold so it's good.