• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice! I wish we could get them to respond to our request for a SF Edition Twill 48hr Duffle and related Focus Group. :) Also speaking of Red Wing, the shoes I am wearing in the Smokey picture above are Red Wing Oxfords that were a UK exclusive a couple of years back. I picked them up at the Flagship store in Red Wing Minnesota!

I'm planning on going to the Red Wing Warehouse sale again this fall, so if anyone is interested I would happily proxy a pair of Iron Rangers or otherwise for you!
As I mentioned before, I would fly to Seattle to wait in line to buy a twill 48 hour off the assembly line. (of course, with my luck, it would be made in Malaysia)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mentioned how irritating the 48 hour was on a few trips because the hard panel that’s supposed to keep the bottom flat digs into my hip and thigh. Carrying the bag in 90* heat a few dozen blocks in NYC I had enough! Dropped into a store, grab a pair of scissors and cut open the seam at the bottom of the bag to rip the GD insert out.

I don’t know how this isn’t a common complaint or how other people get around it. Hopefully the bag is more comfortable now. Of course, I also need to figure out how to close up the hole I created in my heat induced fit of rage

There's modding, then there's gutting and then we have your case. I completely sympathize with you, nothing like having an annoyance like that while battling NYC sidewalk traffic and the sweltering heat they're known for. I have yet to experience a 48 Hour (the unofficial Filson of this forum). That must have felt pretty relieving when you finished. Hopefully you can repair the hole, keep us updated.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "Chicago Screw" mod that I am referring to is pictured in post #9306 by @Samgoody. He used a fixed brad, and @speedy611 in post #9312 wisely suggested a "Chicago Screw" in place of the brad. @Texan also has post #11447 that has very good pictures of this mod.

Very early in this thread there are references to use a Chicago Screw to shorten the shoulder strap in various ways, but I did not like the way it was done in the earlier posts.

:lol: Look at you now, posting actual post #'s along with the matching member names. That's right on par with my level of obsessiveness :fonz:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some misc replies to comments.

@mgrennier, If I still traveled, I would definitely have held out for a #257. Honestly the only time that I want that extra little space for a jacket or fleece is while traveling. I too enjoy nice pens, and swap them around depending on my mood. However, and this is sacrilege. I have been using a Bic Crystal Pen for the last few weeks and love it. Maybe it just feels a little counter culture to me. I don't know.

@OtterMeanGreen , I appreciate the comments about the notes and pictures. That means a lot because I rarely drop into the daily conversation. My go to pen is a Fisher Space Pen in a Stainless Steel Rick Hinderer Investigator pen body. Even though right now, I am using that Bic Crystal Pen.

The foam in the bottom of the briefcase does stiffen the bottom a little - fore and aft. It does not help the bag remain upright on its own. The 256 is just too slender.

If the Crane's Handle Clasp Snap Enclosure were still available, I would probably do it. It tidies up the hand straps, and is a good place for a jacket or fleece to be held in place. It was also an option when ordered directly from Filson or Crane's. I think both places charged an extra $20-$25 for it, and up until a few years ago you could even buy the piece separately and have it sewn on at your local cobbler.

The "made in the USA" tool is a small tripod, Pedco Ultra pod tripod II. It comes in handy for taking photos of my work.

I am not from Australia, South Africa, Wyoming, or Montana. Except in terms of an adventurous spirit. Hobby Lobby is in the next town over, and I have to stock up at Trader Joe's in Atlanta, Birmingham, or New Orleans. I currently live in L.A. (Lower Alabama). If you are on Instagram, I am Toombs on there as well.

Thanks toombs, no problem at all, I call it like I see it. Hard to believe you've managed to make such good use out of the slimmer #256, especially with your daily haul. It gives me hope that my larger #257 can handle much more than I'm demanding from it. I just saw the Space pen that you're referencing, not too shabby looking. I myself am more of the newer black version, with the pocket clip. Mine is from 2007. That's funny how you mention that you prefer the Bic, as from time to time I reach for the cheaper alternates too.

The clasp is best for holding a jacket and well worth the old $20-$25 added cost. I wonder where you would get something like that nowadays, as Crane's stopped doing it.

That's a beefy looking tripod you have, thought it looked familiar, however I was thinking more in line with a military style tripod. Thanks for the info, I will check it out. Shoot, way off then, would never have guessed Alabama. I've never been yet, although I have been to Georgia plenty of times. Do you ever make it up the NYC area?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick chime in on the pen discussion - I’m not a collector but used a Parker Sonnet all through university and love the action (especially as a lefty!) A very close family member was the managing director of Parker and I’ve got several limited run sets of the Duofolds and associated ball pens and pencils.

The Sonnet is quite nice. Parker is actually an option for refills for my Monteverde.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t really protect it all that much. For a while I was putting it inside the green felt-like bag that came with my medium pouch.

(A bag inside a bag inside a bag)

I’ve since stopped doing that though although it’s a good practice.

The important parts of the camera (read: lens) is covered with both a clear filter and the lens cap.

I don’t mind a little patina on the camera.

Here is a shot from my trip to Sanibel Island with the Fuji.

View attachment 1004234

That's true, never considered the patina aspect of it. Plus if the lenses is covered how much damage can be done inside a bag that inside another bag that's also inside another bag (I caught your Inception reference) :lol:.

Beautiful shot btw

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I head out for the day in the summer - particularly if I will be away from my car - I find I have too much stuff to comfortably fit in my pockets since I am not wearing a coat or jacket: sunglasses case, portable battery for phone, water bottle, book, keys, gum etc. However it’s far too little for a backpack or a messenger. And though ‘crossbody’ bags (formerly called ‘fanny packs’ in the US) have made a comeback, I don’t like carrying my gear on my chest or my hips.

So I have been using a Swedish 1960s army gas mask bag that I bought in Stockholm years ago for a few euro. Just the right size. Comfortable to carry (backpacks can get sweaty in hot weather). The vintage and military has deflected the murse comments so far!

View attachment 1004208

I think you and @speedy611 have the right idea about a lightweight carry bag, that doesn't look too much like.....

I have to be on the lookout for something similar. I'm thinking then it may be time for me to finally get a Tan Filson #240 Small Carry On or a #232 Small Field Bag.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I’m staring at my 48 hour bag right now wondering if I should take out the hard plastic. Either talk me into it or talk me out of it - I can’t really see an easy way to do it and I have ZERO sewing skills.

What say you, Forum?

If it's bothering you and you can actually see some benefit to doing it, then I say go for it. However I think it goes without saying that your warranty will be null and void though...if that kind of thing matters to you (coming from me :lol:)

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, I would fly to Seattle to wait in line to buy a twill 48 hour off the assembly line. (of course, with my luck, it would be made in Malaysia)

I started chuckling at the thought of you standing outside the Seattle HQ early morning on the 1st day of the availability. And a truck pulls up and a guy pulls them out of a big cardboard box prominently stamped with Made in Vietnam.

(Again, I have no problem with Asian goods - I love many, many Japanese products and a lot of cool tech things are made in China and Korea. But Filson luggage, I prefer US made. I wouldn’t want the Filson Italy made luggage either.)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree, however, given the variations in tint or shade that are possible with even basic digital photography (warm, vivid, etc) - it’s hard to know for sure.

Another interesting thing - the leather looks less worn than the twill on some of the bags. Is it possible that the twill has been rewaxed - which tends to give a dirtier look.

Looks more BROWN than Otter Green, however with the right light and patina, you could pull it off. Since Otter Green patinas/fades into a Dark Tan, it's possible. However based on how new-like that leather looks (un-patinated too) I would tend to doubt the posts authenticity

Here's a good article that actually displays this color transformation pretty clearly when you see the comparison to unfaded Otter Green (beneath the storm flap) and faded Otter Green.

http://wornandwound.com/american-built-filson/

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started chuckling at the thought of you standing outside the Seattle HQ early morning on the 1st day of the availability. And a truck pulls up and a guy pulls them out of a big cardboard box prominently stamped with Made in Vietnam.

(Again, I have no problem with Asian goods - I love many, many Japanese products and a lot of cool tech things are made in China and Korea. But Filson luggage, I prefer US made. I wouldn’t want the Filson Italy made luggage either.)
i'd probably still buy it as I too have several products that are great from all parts of the world. Although I'd still love to see Filson make ALL their stuff in the U.S., I understand the business and cost implications.

(In a previous company, I've remember seeing spreadsheets comparing US labor costs to India and/or Chinese labor costs - the imbalance is palpable)

I just heard from the client that jeans are totally acceptable for the meetings on Thursday which makes my "one-bag" decision a much easier one. I'll be carrying the 48 hour as my only bag this week. @speedy611, you'll be glad to know that I spent some time yesterday trying to bend that bottom flap back and forth in an effort to snap it in two. In typical Filson fashion, it would bend, but not break. Dang it...

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Co
Looks more BROWN than Otter Green, however with the right light and patina, you could pull it off. Since Otter Green patinas/fades into a Dark Tan, it's possible. However based on how new-like that leather looks (un-patinated too) I would tend to doubt the posts authenticity

Here's a good article that actually displays this color transformation pretty clearly when you see the comparison to unfaded Otter Green (beneath the storm flap) and faded Otter Green.

http://wornandwound.com/american-built-filson/
Cool post, I'm surprised I hadn't seen that before. ..

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts anyone? I didn't know Filson co-branded with the US Forest Service dating back to the Passage Line. Their logo really helps class the bag up a little I think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FILSON-BAG-US-FOREST-SERVICE-FIELD-BAG-CARRY-ON-LAPTOP-NEVER-USED-LEATHER/192599903823?hash=item2cd7d94e4f:g:IZ0AAOSwc~1bTCV6&_sacat=0&_nkw=filson+carry+on&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

thoughts.PNG

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice! I wish we could get them to respond to our request for a SF Edition Twill 48hr Duffle and related Focus Group. :) Also speaking of Red Wing, the shoes I am wearing in the Smokey picture above are Red Wing Oxfords that were a UK exclusive a couple of years back. I picked them up at the Flagship store in Red Wing Minnesota!

I'm planning on going to the Red Wing Warehouse sale again this fall, so if anyone is interested I would happily proxy a pair of Iron Rangers or otherwise for you!
I think you and @speedy611 have the right idea about a lightweight carry bag, that doesn't look too much like.....

I have to be on the lookout for something similar. I'm thinking then it may be time for me to finally get a Tan Filson #240 Small Carry On or a #232 Small Field Bag.

I was looking (again) today at the small field bag. It’s a handy size but I wish the side pockets were a bit taller / more functional. For a small bag it’s very stiff with the twill. It almost needs to be made of tin cloth.
All that said, the pictures of broken in ones look fantastic:

878E8643-32F0-424C-848C-BD4104E17028.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics