• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:rotflmao: What the heck is "vintage" about a Filson-YKK Era Rucksack? At least the photos are clear, however the zippers are too zoomed out, which is ironic, since most of his photos are too zoomed in.

GzStudio

Reaction score
:rotflmao: What the heck is "vintage" about a Filson-YKK Era Rucksack? At least the photos are clear, however the zippers are too zoomed out, which is ironic, since most of his photos are too zoomed in.

it's a Filson branded zippered rucksack....

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's a Filson branded zippered rucksack....

That's what I meant when I said it was a "Filson-YKK" Era (meaning of course the Filson branded YKK Zips). You know what on second glance, I read his description and there is no way that Rucksack is 20 years old. True, the zippers could've been replaced and he forgot, or intentionally, left that out of the description. However just by look alone, that leather is in no way Talon-Era leather. No suede (Talon) and no pilling (YKK). That is clearly Filson-YKK quality leather. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but come one man, did you think you would sneak that by us? :lol:. Zero points for dishonesty. Plus I doubt the zippers were ever replaced as the new-like condition of the bag suggests otherwise.

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slight change in topic. Anyone here personally handle the rugged suede duffle? It looks like a beast of a bag.

Davey13

Reaction score
I also thought that the U.S. is the source for Filsons leather, being Wickett and Craig which I think are in Pennsylvania. You would almost think that should keep prices at bay just a bit, seeing as how they don't have to ship any heavy sides overseas.

Unless they mean English bridle leather, which I think is different from American bridle leather somehow?

Regarding that screw up I did with cracking the leather on my strap last week, I was thinking of taking a trip to the NY store, and see if I can get a replacement strap that matches the rest of the bag. Maybe if I bring the bag in, they can see if they have one close to that shade of brown.

It still bothers me that I did that.

Speaking of talon era, still searching for that hidden gem OG 257....and I see a sportsmans in my near future....

GzStudio

Reaction score
Slight change in topic. Anyone here personally handle the rugged suede duffle? It looks like a beast of a bag.

I have one, it’s a heavy one. Not fond of the shape and a bit smaller than a medium duffle. I prefer the weatherproof duffle all day long.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where is the build tag located on the Rucksack btw? I'm trying to covertly stump this eBay seller and he can't find where it's located. I tried looking at review videos and google images, but to be honest I've already invested way too much time for the sake of eBay seller honesty :facepalm:

GzStudio

Reaction score
Where is the build tag located on the Rucksack btw? I'm trying to covertly stump this eBay seller and he can't find where it's located. I tried looking at review videos and google images, but to be honest I've already invested way too much time for the sake of eBay seller honesty :facepalm:

It’s on the inside of the back pocket.

GzStudio

Reaction score
I have one, it’s a heavy one. Not fond of the shape and a bit smaller than a medium duffle. I prefer the weatherproof duffle all day long.

Speaking of the weatherproof duffle, I’ve noticed subtle changes between one from 2016 and 2018 that makes me wonder what’s going on. It could be just the one I have, but not sure. There’s a different build tag, the sewing of the d-ring patches is very close to edge instead of in about an 1/8 to 3/16, and the thickness of this patch is thinner as well. The 2016 is un-lined (which I prefer) where as the 18 is fully lined. The leather on the 16 is heavy, soft, & supple. It flat out feels thick and robust. It has a slight cool to the touch ever so slight oily-ness that makes it feel just conditioned. The 18 is soft, almost too smooth/soft but dry. There’s no character to the leather as it’s very uniform and feels thinner and lighter to the 16 bag. Could just be me but it seems apparent with them side by side. I bought another to compare the three and see if there are indeed changes. Just thought I’d share. I’ll work on pictures soon.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s on the inside of the back pocket.
Thanks. He claims to not be able to locate it anywhere so I decided to go with the nerd approach and see if I can coerce a little truth out of this. I need another hobby it looks like. Gonna be getting a Cyclocross bike soon, so that might do the trick

I'm certainly not gonna be doing anything like this as I was already involved in the sport of Downhill MTB, but I'd just thought I'd share this video, because well, it's funny. I am looking forward to starting a new and exciting hobby.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listing has been updated after my assistance with the seller. He was pretty cool about it too, which I greatly respect. The $1,000 dry rot special (Filson Leather Satchel) was not so much, as he didn't even bother responding to a simple question about the authenticity and a little more info than just "Antique bag". Especially taking into account the price he's asking. My advice steer clear of that one.

Rucksack (with a 10 year old denomination):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-Vintage-Rucksack-Backpack-Bag-Otter-Green/132708991742?hash=item1ee61282fe:g:TfgAAOSwMiNbT4Bk&_sacat=0&_nkw=filson+bag&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2062857.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xfilson+bag.TRS2.TSS0

Dry Rot "Filson"?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-FILSON-Field-Black-Leather-Briefcase-Bag-Made-In-USA/283026087378?hash=item41e5ab5dd2:g:5scAAOSwHZhbMasY&_sacat=0&_nkw=filson+bag&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2062857.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xfilson+bag.TRS2.TSS0

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OMG is the Filson Avenger!
Here’s his oath:

“In brightest day, in blackest night, no fake Talon shall escape my sight, let those who worship eBay’s might, beware my power, Otter Mean Green’s light!!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That’s disappointing given that I have seen some positive feedback on the rugged suede pouches.

I have a Horween leather non-Filson duffle. The fact that it’s supple and relatively light actually has been a huge advantage as a carry-on so I wouldn’t actively seek out a heavy stiff bag. As I would just use a twill or heavy tin bag if I wanted something that tough for a trip.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG is the Filson Avenger!
Here’s his oath:

“In brightest day, in blackest night, no fake Talon shall escape my sight, let those who worship eBay’s might, beware my power, Otter Mean Green’s light!!

Now there's a great idea for my next tattoo, very clever stuff man.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have one and completely agree. It’s heavy and carries pretty awkwardly. It doesn’t fall into itself and compact in the same way the other duffles do. Materials are rock solid, but the design isn’t going to be for me in the long run.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics