• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The small field bag is the only bag that I have not had in heavy tin (outside of that monstrous tote/briefcase deisign that they had). I currently have the open tote, 256 and 258 (brand new) in heavy tin. I use the 256 and open tote a lot.

weatherproof is just fine. It is actually larger (taller) than the regular 256 and seems to have a bit more volume as well. Still trying to source a weatherproof duffle.

View attachment 967867
I will second @GzStudio on the size of the weatherproof. Very slightly larger than the standard 256.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Picture for today.....talon of course ;)

IMG_1898-2.jpg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say the dimensions of the 258 in the main storage area is almost exactly the same as 257 other than the fact that it has the extra “pouch” in the front to serve as an extra pocket. Why I said almost is due to the fact that capacity of 258 is negated by having “additional” foam cushioning inbuilt to the bag’s sides. I’ve personally modified the internal dividers and removing some of these foam cushion as I found them adding on weight, taking up space while not exactly adding on protection for the side of the bag that has the front “pouch”.

I apologize again for this blasphemous act but I found that my 258 did have more allowance to stow bulky items after my modification. Gadgets in the front pouch while packing cubes goes to the main compartment. I thought they really should offer a 258 with front pocket configuration like the 24hours tin briefcase but I guess that would come too close to the 48hrs duffel so prob no luck on that end...

Thanks for the appreciation, I’m a bit torn myself if I should rewax the twill back to OG as it’s fading towards Tan color...
I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat. The perfect (as yet unmade) Filson bag is the 24 hour bag in a 22oz twill.

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Haha, let’s just leave it at that yah. That said, great pics all around! Here’re what remains of my Filson litter in my canvas bag corner after some trimming recently. Glad to say half of the Filson released twill colors are represented other than black, white and red. I do catch myself lusting for the HT 256 from time to time :/
View attachment 967668
Ah, enjoying all the pictures being posted lately. Reminder of why I visited this thread in the first place! Thanks for taking the time, guys. I may try to get a pic up of my 256/7/8

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The small field bag is the only bag that I have not had in heavy tin (outside of that monstrous tote/briefcase deisign that they had). I currently have the open tote, 256 and 258 (brand new) in heavy tin. I use the 256 and open tote a lot.

weatherproof is just fine. It is actually larger (taller) than the regular 256 and seems to have a bit more volume as well. Still trying to source a weatherproof duffle.

View attachment 967867

Is this a Filson store display....or your living room? :lol:

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 257 in use at the Hotel Van Zandt in Ausin Texas. Coffee shop.

(Love the uptick of late with pictures!)

View attachment 968633

Speaking of pictures; this is probably gonna be my next carryon suitcase I buy, since apparently Filson doesn’t honor theirs with their lifetime warranty . Although it’s not exactly the one I want. They’re apparently one of the only brands that go hand in hand with Filson

D961B9AD-B459-49F0-B6A2-DA826C3CA509.jpeg

I want the Classic Flight. It’s pricey though, so I’m on the lookout.
3836FD72-F20A-466D-A948-40C85505674D.jpeg

GzStudio

Reaction score
I believe they do not honor the warranty as it’s not made in the USA and do not have the goods or tools to service them. I am a sucker for a spinner, so I wouldn’t use them anyway.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of pictures; this is probably gonna be my next carryon suitcase I buy, since apparently Filson doesn’t honor theirs with their lifetime warranty . Although it’s not exactly the one I want. They’re apparently one of the only brands that go hand in hand with Filson

View attachment 968942

I want the Classic Flight. It’s pricey though, so I’m on the lookout.
View attachment 968943
Each to their own of course...but I think these are the Tumi of the 2010s. I almost bought one a couple of years ago but was deterred by their omnipresence in every airport I passed through across Asia, plus lots of copy cat designs. In addition they dent and look beaten up very quickly. For us here perhaps that’s a positive, but as we all know there is good patina and bad!
All that said I don’t have a better recommendation, and certainly not one that matches with Filson, is high quality and somewhat niche.

Be interesting to hear what others are using in the wheeled department. I know mgrennier is happy with his rolling carry on, despite your concern about the zips!

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I wasn’t so tied to the Filson world, I would take a serious look at the Away line of rolling luggage.

Just a nice looking, simple line-up of lightweight rollers.

Lifetime warranty.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy