• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Lebrando

Reaction score
I think the great thing about Filson is that usage doesn't necessarily depreciate the value of the bag. In fact, many buyers are looking for quite pronounced but attractive signs of use (i.e. patina). The vintage Filson bags featured in magazines or Filson catalogs all show quite heavy usage and aren't in showroom condition (a difference from say vintage cars).

So I wouldn't hesitate to use your bag as it was designed.

Great points and good advice, Soletrane! These bags need to see the light of day and not be treated like vampires.

Tom Lebrando

Reaction score
That's a thing of beauty. I say use it but with care. You're lucky like me (with regards to my first edition #257) in that whoever had these bags first preserved them for a reason. Not many people will do that in the Filson community. Everyone is after the patina that made these bags pretty iconic (if we're still talking about nearly 30 years later)

My first edition #257

View attachment 879553

Really appreciate your feedback OMG. I guess we are of the same mind about preserving the beauty but judiciously guiding the patina. Your 257 is definitely drool-worthy!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great points and good advice, Soletrane! These bags need to see the light of day and not be treated like vampires.

At one time, I struggled with the same thing with higher end watches - which actually do lose value with usage - but I realized I was getting way more utility and pleasure out of the watch I wore day in and day out through life's little adventures than the more valuable ones I had in the safety deposit box.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I could use the large compartment bag to transport throw pillows. You know from our country estate to our Manhattan penthouse.

;-)

HAHA I was actually thinking about using it to transport Ferrari tires on my next visit to the Nurburgring, it's certainly wide enough.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really only damage that hurts these bags value: grease stains, ripped or broken zippers, large holes etc. In fact the very used but repaired
FrankenFilson FRD bags get the most $.

I can't argue with that, only problem is (and I speak from experience) that when you have something that is extra special, or just incredibly preserved, it's very hard to treat it as you normally would a Filson bag. It's kind of like finding a rare 1957 Ferrari 250 Testerossa (one recently sold for $39 million) in a barn and it's all yours. Founder, Enzo Ferrari built these cars for one purpose, which was driving (and to fund his racing team). So in a way you're going against his wishes. But $39 million is quite the coin, even if you don't plan on selling it, you feel extra protective of it knowing there's no other like it. That last sentence rings true with my #257, there seriously might not be one like it, so it's difficult for me to use it in a way that makes it look like everyone else's.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really appreciate your feedback OMG. I guess we are of the same mind about preserving the beauty but judiciously guiding the patina. Your 257 is definitely drool-worthy!

HAHA thanks. All i'm saying is use it but treat it right. It's just like a vintage 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS, the value is peaking and the parts are rare (special order from Italy). But there's this feeling I get every time I pilot one, especially on a mountainous road. I still spend about 9 hours straight detailing it and about 3 hours post detailing it back in its stable. Totally worth it though. I hope it brings you enjoyment or helps provide it for you. Esecially since you're part of team d'OG (sorry but i'm coning that phrase lol)

IMG_2393.JPG

Last edited:

Tom Lebrando

Reaction score
At one time, I struggled with the same thing with higher end watches - which actually do lose value with usage - but I realized I was getting way more utility and pleasure out of the watch I wore day in and day out through life's little adventures than the more valuable ones I had in the safety deposit box.

I really like your personal example ... it helps me put the "patina anxiety" into perspective.

Tom Lebrando

Reaction score
HAHA thanks. All i'm saying is use it but treat it right. It's just like a vintage 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS, the value is peaking and the parts are rare (special order from Italy). But there's this feeling I get every time I pilot one, especially on a mountainous road. I still spend about 9 hours straight detailing it and about 3 hours post detailing it back in its stable. Totally worth it though. I hope it brings you enjoyment or helps provide it for you. Esecially since you're part of team d'OG (sorry but i'm coning that phrase lol)

View attachment 879614

Yum ... I could definitely get obsessed with that beauty!

TEAM d'OG !!!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like your personal example ... it helps me put the "patina anxiety" into perspective.

Lol. The other way to look at it: the difference between a mint and an average 1957 Ferrari might be ten million dollars. The difference between a mint 257 and a used but undamaged 257 might be $100-150 (and even that's debatable given that many collectors want patina). It just ain't enough to worry about, I say!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol. The other way to look at it: the difference between a mint and an average 1957 Ferrari might be ten million dollars. The difference between a mint 257 and a used but undamaged 257 might be $100-150 (and even that's debatable given that many collectors want patina). It just ain't enough to worry about, I say!

True! From that viewpoint I see what you mean. I'm just referring to how protective I feel over it...maybe too protective. But as a recent Filsoniac (just making up words here), not more than 4 years ago, that was how things were dictated to me. You take care of something and it takes care of you. Plus a vast majority of the bags that I've had never could take what a Filson can take (and it certainly wouldn't develop a patina). I guess I need a beater Filson, yeah that's a good idea, something to carelessly put to the test to see its limits. Maybe then I will finally get it. I'm not saying my #257 won't have a unique patina, only that I have this mental block that's standing in my way.

Not to keep bringing up Ferrari but it's definitely applicable here. When I was hired back in 2010 I wasn't able to parallel park a Ferrari to save my life. I just never was responsible for something so expensive and fast before (most being in the $500,000 range). It didn't matter if I had a spot long enough to park a bus in, I wasn't making it. After awhile I just sort of acclimated and it was just like driving a Honda, I was able to fit Million dollar cars in spots with only an a couple of inch clearance on each side.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, you could definitely get two. One to admire on your wall (like a Filson boutique) and another to use and abuse (maybe a post-BD version).

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, you could definitely get two. One to admire on your wall (like a Filson boutique) and another to use and abuse (maybe a post-BD version).

HAHA I may have to do that now. Only this time I'm looking for the kind of deal that @woodsjw got on his Talon-Era. I think I'm gonna be on the lookout for a Talon or YKK #256 to give me some variety. And the search is back on looks like.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just want to give a shout out to @GzStudio ...he hooked me up with a Talon Original Briefcase #256 in Tan at an outstanding price!

If you’re looking for classic Filson gear, you should definitely check out his inventory on eBay!

View attachment 879423
I also bought my talon 256 from GZ. We actually handled the transaction in person. At a Jimmy Johns if memory serves.

How was your musty smell? Mine is damn near gone (although it will always be there a little bit I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads