• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great points and good advice, Soletrane! These bags need to see the light of day and not be treated like vampires.
I beat the crap out of my talon 256. Find myself picking it up by the leather zipper pulls a lot - especially from under the airplane seat.

These bags are made to be USED!!!!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

woodsjw

Reaction score
I also bought my talon 256 from GZ. We actually handled the transaction in person. At a Jimmy Johns if memory serves.

How was your musty smell? Mine is damn near gone (although it will always be there a little bit I think.

Its not bad at all! I stored it with some dryer sheets for the first few days now it smells like mountain breeze... need to carry it for a few weeks to get that overly laundered smell gone now ;)

woodsjw

Reaction score
This is pretty cool, when did Burton and Filson have this collaboration? Thought Allan said they were done with collabs (according to that article). It's new with tags which is the reason why I ask.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/burton-x-f...425856?hash=item1c98d8bf40:g:7nkAAOSwiBJaFcZx

Not sure when the Burton collaboration happened... its been awhile, I think close to when the vans and levi collabs were happing.

There was an awesome Filson x Burton backpack too.... let me see if I can dig up a photo.

woodsjw

Reaction score
Not sure when the Burton collaboration happened... its been awhile, I think close to when the vans and levi collabs were happing.

There was an awesome Filson x Burton backpack too.... let me see if I can dig up a photo.

Here you go!
Filson-x-Burton-Backpack-17L.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah I see. Now that's an attractive backpack, although I'm pretty sure I'm set with the Filson Journeyman.

Say @Soletrane I have a unusual question for you (well unusual for me lol). Will a 15.6 inch laptop fit in the Journeyman, specifically in the padded compartment? I know it specifies 16 inches on the website but so does the other Filson's, only thing is they don't really fit sometimes in the padded compartments. You then have to cram it in the main section without padding.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This just might be the most beautifully aged Filson I've ever seen (myself). Take a look at that leather, looks like snake skin. HAHA and yes I do realize it isn't Otter Green lol.

Filson-vintage-bag-500x334.jpg

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also bought my talon 256 from GZ. We actually handled the transaction in person. At a Jimmy Johns if memory serves.

How was your musty smell? Mine is damn near gone (although it will always be there a little bit I think.

I picked up my last Filson at a Jimmy John's and it still smells of the "#5 Vito"!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah I see. Now that's an attractive backpack, although I'm pretty sure I'm set with the Filson Journeyman.

Say @Soletrane I have a unusual question for you (well unusual for me lol). Will a 15.6 inch laptop fit in the Journeyman, specifically in the padded compartment? I know it specifies 16 inches on the website but so does the other Filson's, only thing is they don't really fit sometimes in the padded compartments. You then have to cram it in the main section without padding.

Sure, happy to check. I have a bunch of my kids' old laptops of different sizes (my own is 14") that are probably that size or bigger.

Just to confirm: 15.6" is your screen diagonal length correct (not including perimeter plastic)?

Here is the Journeyman with my son's Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series with 15.6" screen. Plenty of room.

IMG_5095.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This just might be the most beautifully aged Filson I've ever seen (myself). Take a look at that leather, looks like snake skin. HAHA and yes I do realize it isn't Otter Green lol.

View attachment 879680

Love the pic. Even after buying a real nice full Horween duffle from Defy, just one trip with my aged tan small duffle again has me hooked on it again. There is something about the look and feel of an old well used 1st Gen Filson bag that is just unmatched.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to source an older (but in good shape) paddless shoulder strap for it... if anyone has one laying around that they would be willing to sell--let me know!

If you can't find one, consider a DIY project. I actually made custom shoulder pads that fit on the same 1" strap. My 256 & 257 are old enough to have the unpadded shoulder pad (which I much prefer). However, I wanted something a bit wider so I bought some dark brown bridle leather and made some larger pads.

Here's the post from 2015 when I made them:

I finally got around to customizing my shoulder strap. I much prefer the older style non-padded version. However, I find it slips off my shoulder from time to time but it's still better than the padded version (IMO). Two of my Filson bags have the older shoulder pad (pictured below) and two have the newer padded style.

I always liked this custom strap I found pictured earlier in this thread:

I thought I'd combine the original 1" strap and make a larger shoulder pad, minus the padding. The leather I used is ~10oz English bridle, 10 1/2" long by 2 1/2" wide. The original is 8 1/2" long x 2 1/8" wide and a bit thinner.

My version & the original.

Pictured on my ~8 yr old 256.

Functionally, it works just as I'd hoped. The added width seems to help more than the length but it doesn't slip anymore. I bought enough leather to make a few and I already see some necessary changes. For instance, I'm afraid I didn't leave enough space between the oval punches. It may be a weak spot down the road (probably years down the road but it's en easy fix for the next version).

In the end, I'm happy with the result. It should also break in and become a bit more uniform in color over time. I'll add them to my other filson bags as well.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny anecdote from last week. I got off my flight and a guy noticed my old 256 and we chatted about Filson bags. After asking how old mine was, he asked to buy it. I politely declined and told him it's been a constant companion for almost 10 years. Note, he was carrying a beautiful Glaser bag so clearly he has good taste.

Happy Thanksgiving fellow Filson aficionados!

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny anecdote from last week. I got off my flight and a guy noticed my old 256 and we chatted about Filson bags. After asking how old mine was, he asked to buy it. I politely declined and told him it's been a constant companion for almost 10 years. Note, he was carrying a beautiful Glaser bag so clearly he has good taste.

Happy Thanksgiving fellow Filson aficionados!
That’s a cool story! I’m always on the lookout for Filson bags at the airports. (And I’m in one every week).

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a cool story! I’m always on the lookout for Filson bags at the airports. (And I’m in one every week).

I do the same. I started seeing a TON of similar looking canvas a few years ago and the occasional 256/257. JCrew has a canvas briefcase that I think is the one I keep seeing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads