• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you resolve that? Does it bother you that the Filson looks so rumpled after a time when the rest of your kit looks so sharp?

Canvas is obviously a rugged material, which has a charm all its own, but then the much disparaged ballistic nylon is also very rugged and retains its sheen and shape much longer. Why does canvas get all the love and ballistic nylon doesn't?

I'm authentically curious about all this.

you are right, it doesnt look consistent.

makes sense when im in chinos and a waxed cotton jacket.

with a suit i go with a leather case/portfolio/bag.

other people... do it to follow the crowd i guess...

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Glen's Outdoors sale is over. I was told last week that my Pullman, bought last Monday (a week ago) would ship some time this week. So not really "five to seven days" for shipping but I'm pretty sure I'll live with shipping being free and the discount price.

huskyzealot

Reaction score

Looks like the Glen's Outdoors sale is over. I was told last week that my Pullman, bought last Monday (a week ago) would ship some time this week. So not really "five to seven days" for shipping but I'm pretty sure I'll live with shipping being free and the discount price.

Nice, I also snagged a Pullman at the Glen's sale. What color did you go with? I had trouble deciding, but decided to switch it up and try the green...got several items in the tan already.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did tan so that it matches my 257--my luggage will match when I travel.

Tan matches more universally than green, and I don't need another brown thing in my wardrobe.

kidtwist91

Reaction score
Im considering purchasing the Filson 257 for law school. My heaviest load is 3 BIG law school books and my laptop + a couple pens and highlighters. Does the 257 have enough space to meet my needs?

Last edited:

chrisjr

Reaction score
^^ why not measure the textbooks and check the filson website size specifications?

is crane's still the best spot to get a 256? i'm split between the brown and otter green, though i'm leaning towards brown to use as a work bag. I honestly won't be carrying documents to and from work that often but really like the look of the bags. :satisfied:

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Harry32

Reaction score
Just not sure if the bag can withstand the daily grind of having heavy objects inside. Dont want to destroy it

raptorrapture

Reaction score

Just not sure if the bag can withstand the daily grind of having heavy objects inside. Dont want to destroy it
If it can't, there's something wrong with it and Filson's customer care department will be more than happy to fix it for you (given previous experience).

Last edited:

kidtwist91

Reaction score
it looks like the Filson comes up JUST short of my law school needs at 6 inches... thanks for the replies.

kcherney

Reaction score
i'm starting to notice two wear points on my 257:

the stitching around the ring where the strap connects to the bag
where the shorter part of the strap loops around where the buckle connects

this is definitely a product of me having to carry too much stuff for school. i'm not too worried though, i feel like it would take a long time for anything to malfunction

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

rivet busted off my shoulder strap
and the bridle leather is really really getting beat up

do you condition the leather? or does anyone condition the leather strap? I would imagine that all that rubbing would weaken it if dry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics