Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.
i do/did not. but i did expect a filson bag to be very "hardy"
Did anyone who bought from Glensoutdoor get their bag shipped yet? Mine has not.
Yep via FedEx.
Should arrive today.
hmm, thanks. I never got a tracking code.
I just had by 256 returned from Madame Paulette in NYC for its biannual cleaning/conditioning.
They dry cleaned the fabric to remove all noticeable stains. I also requested that the all leather parts be hand-conditioned (using only Saphir Renovateur).
Good as new!
Which colour have you got? can't wait to order mine but need to wait til my next paycheque
Any chance of before and after pics?
Can you post some before & after shots or even just an after?
Edited to add: I should have read the thread to the end before posting that huskuzealot beat me to it.
So it turns out that Glen's Outdoor didn't actually have a Pullman Porter in stock; they are still waiting for Filson to deliver their product to them so that they can send it to me. I was told "this week" on Monday; well, this week is now over.
I recall someone on the forum who runs a shop that stocks Filson saying that Filson does not always supply their retailers with supply to match demand. I guess this is an example of that.
They must have had some in stock... I ordered mine on Sep 5 and it shipped on Sep 7. I ordered over the phone and asked them to ship it right away
huh. I ordered mine on the 5th as well, 8:29 a.m., online.
Does anyone have any experience with the medium or large travel bag?
I received a small duffle and a travel kit today, and I thought it might be helpful to post my thoughts about the duffle. Before pulling the trigger, I wasn't sure if I needed the small or medium sized duffle. I'll be primarily using it for weekend trips, but would like to be able to use it for longer trips, too.
I saw the pros and cons as follows:
- Carry-on size (in US), even when full
- Size will make overpacking impossible
- Wide enough for the length of a pair of dress shoes (I wear 7.5) to fit the width of the bag
- Wide enough for length of Filson travel kit to fit the width of the bag
- Less expensive
- Potentially not large enough for weekend trips
- Almost definitely not large enough for longer trips
- Definitely not too small
- When full, too large for carry-on (US)
- Possibly too big for weekend trips - duffles that are too big large lead to wrinkled cloths, and the contents generally getting disorganized
- More expensive
In summary, I like to pack light, I'm small so my clothing is, too, and I don't have a lot of money. So I went with the small duffle.
I was disappointed when the travel kit & duffle arrived together in the same sized box that the 256 arrived in. The duffle - compared to my old gym duffle - appeared impractically small. So, before removing the tags, I tested the bag. I was able to fit:
- 1 pair of dress shoes, width wise
- Travel kit, approx 1/3 full (including all essentials), although it would probably be okay totally full (that would be an absurd amount of toiletries, though). Actually, the travel kit fits perfectly on top of the shoes. Combined, they take up about 1/4 of the interior of the duffle.
- 2 pair of trousers
- 4 dress shirts
- 1 longsleeve polo shirt
- 5 pairs of boxers
- 5 pairs of dress socks
- 1 cotton sweater
Plus, there's easily enough room across the top to fit the odds & ends that I throw in at the end, depending on the season/weather: reading material, an umbrella, sunglasses, an extra sweater. This is without the bag being stuffed to seams. So I am very pleased with my purchase, and I'm looking forward to breaking it in.
Hmmm, I am not sure what happened with your order. I also ordered a Pullman (that needed to be ordered from Filson because Glen's didn't have it in stock) and even through it was delayed because they didn't have it in stock when I ordered, it arrived last week.
For what it is worth, this was my first Otter Green purchase...and I love the color. I've got several items in brown and tan, but I'm thinking all my upcoming purchases will be in otter green.
Another Filson retailer I had good experience with is allthingsoutdoors on ebay.
Separate names with a comma.