Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. raptorrapture

raptorrapture Senior member

I have one and the indigo does rub off on the tan, but I actually find that it adds to the "worn-in" or "patina" look of the bag. Gives it some character. Anyway, to each his own.

Very rarely and the most you'll get (if lucky) is 20%. Most of the times it's due to the fault of the reseller.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Senior member

Check out the quote in post 707.

3. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Call Cranes

4. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

5. JoeNK

JoeNK New Member

I really like to buy a filson 256 after reading this thread. Don't know go for tan or brown.

6. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

Got a question re the Filson briefcase:

What always struck me about the Filson is how beat to hell they look after a while and how incommensurate that is with the sleek, polished look of many of you here in the MC forum.

How do you resolve that? Does it bother you that the Filson looks so rumpled after a time when the rest of your kit looks so sharp?

Canvas is obviously a rugged material, which has a charm all its own, but then the much disparaged ballistic nylon is also very rugged and retains its sheen and shape much longer. Why does canvas get all the love and ballistic nylon doesn't?

I'm authentically curious about all this.

7. raptorrapture

raptorrapture Senior member

Again, can't speak for everybody, but I like my clothing and accessories to have a little character. I like them to say something about me and how I wear or use those items. Like raw denim, canvas bags tend to fade and get worn-in rather nicely (so does leather for that matter). Filson bags are great because they have leather + canvas.

That being said - I don't think I'd ever pair a well-worn Filson bag with a sleek suit. Other have done this with varying degrees of success, but I think it looks out of place on me. With chinos or denim though? Absolutely - I think it matches the aesthetic well.

8. converge

converge Senior member

For those who are in between a small duffle and medium duffle, consider the medium travel bag.

Small duffle: 39 linear inches
    Medium travel bag: 42 linear inches
    Medium duffle: 52 linear inches

I have the medium travel bag and it's been great for overnight trips and weekend trips. It has the advantage of being one of Filson's largest bags that is still carry-on compliant.

But what puts it over the top are the 4 outside pockets and 2 inside pockets (which I can easily fit my 13" MBP with sleeve). It's kind of like a giant 256 but without the outer flap.

The only downside is that price is almost identical to the medium duffle. Plus it doesn't have that "classic duffle" appearance.

[​IMG]

9. entrero

entrero Senior member

Ballistic nylon ages(looks) badly. It will probably outlast canvas, but does not have the same rustic charm. Unless you're specifically looking for strength-to-weight advantages of nylon, I believe you'll be much better off with canvas Filson

10. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

It depends largely on the wearer's style. If you go for Italian style, Filson is probably not for you. If you prefer English style and your favorite jacket is tweed, then Filson might be your thing.

And ballistic nylon has a sheen to retain...that's why a lot of SFers won't like it. Shiny things generally don't look good.

11. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

Helpful answers, all. Thanks.

I'm no fan of ballistic nylon, but don't find the Filson at all in tune with my own personal aesthetic. That said, I "get" the look and the appeal, and think it would be great with tweeds, richly textured wools, etc.

Oddly, I've seen a lot of Filson in Berlin. It seems to be one of the brands of choice among the younger, less buttoned down set -- artists, tech workers, etc.

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Thanks for this! I'm probably going to by the medium travel bag due to your informative post.

13. bobm

bobm Senior member

Well said; agree 100%. I like Filson bags (and some clothing) for the same reasons. I have no need of dressing formally 99% of the time, so the Filson bags suits me just fine - plus I like the fact that they are made in the USA. I have zero interest in Filson's newer - nylon luggage.

Bob

14. hymo

hymo Senior member

It's less the look and more the feel. It is so sturdy you feel you can go anywhere and do anything with it.

15. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

i'm thinking the exact same thing. Thanks for the info.