• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know how heavy is the Filson Small Duffle Bag? Will it be a ***** to carry around for everyday use?

A couple or few pounds which to me is nothing.

rydude87

Reaction score
Darn can't believe I missed that deal! Much better than the Brooks Brothers deal. Gah! Guess I will have to wait until another sale as good as the wconcept one comes around. :(

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
CI, Thanks for the BB heads up! Some great deals. Unfortunately they seem to no longer offer the 256 in tan only brown. I may have to grab the 257 at this price but I think the 256 fits my needs better

milw50717

Reaction score

Jeep as in Grand Cherokee or J40. I knew I shouldn't have gotten rid of my Ram 2500 turbo diesel 4X4.

Mainly, the wrangler body shell with the soft top. The wife has a fairly basic, upgraded tyres & suspension, tough as nails JK that is a blast to drive. However, the soft top offers no real security as velcro and zips are easy to get into without tools let alone being easy to cut. The soft top folds down into the trunk which is thus essential always open at the top even if a hood is used. Interior fittings are pretty much plastic and the lockable glove box and centre console are easily pried open.You have to weld/bolt something more substantial in place and there is not always an easy place to fit things without impacting some area of functionality - soft top take down, rear seat push back, etc. For small items storage boxes can be securely placed under the front seats. Larger storage - boxes in the floor of the trunk or by adding a top to the trunk and using with the soft top up or a bikini top.

IMHO - Best combination is removable hard top + bikini for the summer + storage vault in the trunk + under seat box.

The SUV models such as the Grand Cherokee will be OK as they have all over metal skin and none of the issues brought about by having a soft top and no real trunk.

milw50717

Reaction score
It used to be that Filson would not allow their goods to be discounted and they were excluded from such things as store-wide discount coupons. Recently, we have seen a number of vendors offering fairly substantial discounts off Filson goods.

Change in policy from Filson ?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It used to be that Filson would not allow their goods to be discounted and they were excluded from such things as store-wide discount coupons. Recently, we have seen a number of vendors offering fairly substantial discounts off Filson goods.

Change in policy from Filson ?

No official change that I'm aware of. Some just do it and worry about it later or they're dropping the line from inventory. We've fought with them over this for years remember?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Grabbed a 256 & 257 from BB this morning! For 40% off I grabbed both and will return whichever I don't want. Thanks again CI! A little less of a great deal since they charge tax and shipping but still like 30% off even with that factored in. Looking forward to my first Filson bag

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Grabbed a 256 & 257 from BB this morning! For 40% off I grabbed both and will return whichever I don't want. Thanks again CI! A little less of a great deal since they charge tax and shipping but still like 30% off even with that factored in. Looking forward to my first Filson bag

Nicely done rf. I'm debating over the Sportsman/266 as it's such a good deal. If won't ship until Feb but I assume the discounts still apply. I've been carrying a 256 as a briefcase since 2008. It handled a 13" laptop in a sleeve for much of that time but now I can get away with an ipad most days. I also have an ancient 257 that I picked up on eBay but don't use it much and lastly I use a tan Medium Travel bag for weekends or 1-2 nights of business travel. For air travel I still use a rolling 22" suitcase but when I'm driving I just shoulder the Med Travel bag.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that W. Concept store has a new 30% code (GOODBYE30) for all items with free shipping. its still more expensive though (257 comes in at $190+ and the 256 at $150+) but its free shipping and if you're outside NJ no tax. There are also some other items like the rucksack (in black) and tote bags. The zippered tote bag comes in at $98 with the 30% code so thats a nice deal.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nicely done rf. I'm debating over the Sportsman/266 as it's such a good deal. If won't ship until Feb but I assume the discounts still apply. I've been carrying a 256 as a briefcase since 2008. It handled a 13" laptop in a sleeve for much of that time but now I can get away with an ipad most days. I also have an ancient 257 that I picked up on eBay but don't use it much and lastly I use a tan Medium Travel bag for weekends or 1-2 nights of business travel. For air travel I still use a rolling 22" suitcase but when I'm driving I just shoulder the Med Travel bag.
Thanks! I am looking forward to it. Between the 256 or 257, my Saddleback and my Billy Kirk I think I am set on briefcases for a bit..

I almost grabbed that denim duffle as well due to the deal. I believe it is an 18 oz Japanese denim and like you debated it because it is such a good deal. However, I decided it is ultimately a bit too large for what I am looking for. Its a shame because I think its a great looking bag.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your first, but I doubt last Filson bag rydenfan! I still need to find a few more ways to have you spend money to pay you back for finding those Alden Ravello's for me.
fistbump.gif

I like my Sportsman bag more than any other bag I own. Including other Filson's, bucket mouths and the typical Midway USA shooting bags. The U shaped zipper has a lot to do with that if the XL Outfitter and duffles had it I would own them by now too. Someone on here way back posted that they use the Sportsman as a diaper bag and when his son is older he will give it to him, great idea. I have the brown and will end up getting the tan and olive someday. About a year and a half ago I was shooting skeet and a guy walked in to the clubhouse, looked around and walked by at least 60 people and their bags to come up to me at the back of the room. Said he broke a screw off on his scope ring and asked if I had anything in my bag to help him out. I reached into a side pocket and handed him my leatherman, it took him all of 30 sec. to get it out. He handed them back to me and said he just knew that I had what he needed in my bag. Not sure if he even knew it was a Filson or not but there is certainly something about a Filson......

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That W Concept store looks too good to be true. Anyone know if they are legit?

I'm looking at my 257 I ordered from them on the 23rd and received on the 24th so I'd say they're on the up and up.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads