• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s an amazing bag and the nylon used on it feels different than the stuff they’re using now. That that what they’re using now is bad. It’s also USA made making it one of only a few nylon bags that Filson ever made in their factories. There was also a lightweight 24hr briefcase and a lightweight small duffle both made of nylon, but I much prefer this one!

That Camo design is definitely an acquired taste. Did they offer any other colorways? It immediately reminded me of the Multicam GORUCK GR2 I passed over when choosing my color. Like the Buffalo Plaid Mackinaw Cruiser, I think it takes a certain level of confidence I don't currently possess to pull it off. I much rather fly a little (but not completely) under the radar, which I guess is why I went with the Coyote Brown, although I am kicking myself for not picking the Ranger Green. Oh hindsight, you're always 20/20

GR2 3.PNG

IVIozartsGhost

Reaction score
That Camo design is definitely an acquired taste.... Like the Buffalo Plaid Mackinaw Cruiser, I think it takes a certain level of confidence I don't currently possess to pull it off. M

I think some camo patterns lend itself better to non-camo-needed applications (I.e. fashion...) than others. I can pretty easily pull off my camo 256 when suited up at the state legislature, but I’d probably draw a few extra stares if I was sporting that camo backpack.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, today’s bag zippers will be just as smooth, they just need to be used. They all start out that way, the more you use them the more they will break in.
I was out of town hiking through Sedona, AZ and you guys start a war on zippers?

Strat - on the zipper front, NO, you’re not correct. All zippers do not start out the same. I used to buy custom suits from a haberdashery in Michigan - the zippers were so smooth they were, um, a ‘selling point’ in my single days.

“Buttery smooth” did not do them justice. They were better than that.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was out of town hiking through Sedona, AZ and you guys start a war on zippers?

Strat - on the zipper front, NO, you’re not correct. All zippers do not start out the same. I used to buy custom suits from a haberdashery in Michigan - the zippers were so smooth they were, um, a ‘selling point’ in my single days.

“Buttery smooth” did not do them justice. They were better than that.
I'll bite. Why only in your single days....?

Leander walker

Reaction score
Watched the Talon video. How incredibly sad. For the employees,the company and the town. All the factories shut down and now it's all made overseas.

heq206

Reaction score
Had a fun "build your own" project come up last week. My wife wanted a "JUDY" emergency preparedness grab & go bag in case of a zombie apocalypse. I saw the contents of the JUDY Mover Max wet/dry bag and thought, we don't need this - we have almost everything.

Only thing I bought that I "splurged" on was the Filson wet dry backpack (on sale) and the hand crank radio. This is the only time I made an exception on buying the otter green color of a bag.

Everything else we already had or didn't cost too much (ex. water packets, ponchos, emergency blankets, glowsticks). Forgot to include the biohazard waste (poo) bags in the photo and still need to find some n95 masks.

IMG_1364.jpg

ChasingStyle

Reaction score
Had a fun "build your own" project come up last week. My wife wanted a "JUDY" emergency preparedness grab & go bag in case of a zombie apocalypse. I saw the contents of the JUDY Mover Max wet/dry bag and thought, we don't need this - we have almost everything.

Only thing I bought that I "splurged" on was the Filson wet dry backpack (on sale) and the hand crank radio. This is the only time I made an exception on buying the otter green color of a bag.

Everything else we already had or didn't cost too much (ex. water packets, ponchos, emergency blankets, glowsticks). Forgot to include the biohazard waste (poo) bags in the photo and still need to find some n95 masks.

View attachment 1561695

Known as "weekend bag" in Texas.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off topic (my usual style :lol: ) anyone heard of a company called Triple Aught Design (TAD for short)? They make some really cool pants and shorts...well they call them "PANT" and "SHORT" which I find somewhat annoying. Since I have gravitated away from denim, maybe for good, I wanted something equally as durable, without sacrificing too much in terms of style. Not going for the commando look. On the plus side it's MiUSA and with really quality materials meant to last a very long time, even under heavy usage. They also make Selvedge Twill Pants, so there's that too. Also for you boot guys, they've done collaborations with White's MP Service Boots.

Check out those pockets....you know me...well thought out pockets are the key to my heart.

No sound for some reason...they should hire a better PR person

These are the ones I am considering, it's made with something they refer to as "Doomsday Canvas". These are discontinued but I'm sure, being that these are a popular design, they will return

Last edited:
Reactions: WJR

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off topic (my usual style :lol: ) anyone heard of a company called Triple Aught Design (TAD for short)? They make some really cool pants and shorts...well they call them "PANT" and "SHORT" which I find somewhat annoying. Since I have gravitated away from denim, maybe for good, I wanted something equally as durable, without sacrificing too much in terms of style. Not going for the commando look. On the plus side it's MiUSA and with really quality materials meant to last a very long time, even under heavy usage. They also make Selvedge Twill Pants, so there's that too. Also for you boot guys, they've done collaborations with White's MP Service Boots.

These are the ones I am considering, it's made with something they refer to as "Doomsday Canvas". These are discontinued but I'm sure, being that these are a popular design, they will return

TAD has great marketing. Their stuff tends to be overly expensive, not as great as advertised and suffers frequently from lack of availability (presumably created by low stock specifically to drive hype). After a few TAD purchases, I dont look at their stuff anymore.

Lots better (make ups and vendors) that have MP collabs out there if your interested. Or Bakers for a full custom model.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TAD has great marketing. Their stuff tends to be overly expensive, not as great as advertised and suffers frequently from lack of availability (presumably created by low stock specifically to drive hype). After a few TAD purchases, I dont look at their stuff anymore.

Lots better (make ups and vendors) that have MP collabs out there if your interested. Or Bakers for a full custom model.

No doubt about it that their stuff is pricey or heavily unavailable, but then again neither is Vermilyea Pelle...not that I'm comparing the two (completely). I have yet to find a better pair of pants though that meet my heavy criteria: Made in USA, with durable materials, and lots of pocket and organization without going the cargo pocket route. Since I've given up on denim, raw denim in specific, I'm more open to suggestions, so if you have any I'd appreciate it. I'm also trying to avoid something that is 100% cotton, as those will definitely shrink and weaken with repeated washings. A lot of the TAD stuff has nylon/cotton blends, or NYCO's as they refer to it as.

I've already looked at brands like Taylor & Stitch, Filson, LL Bean and find their stuff either too slim fitting or not what I'm searching for durability/pocket wise. I'd like something that will last more then a couple of years of usage, which is why the Doomsday Duck Canvas stuck out. A lot of TAD gear gets used by military contractors, police and undercover special ops guys and outdoor survivalist types (according to forums), so it definitely passes the durability test. I am in no way going to wear them in that fashion or need a place to put a spare AR magazine, but would be nice having one of those hidden rear yoke pockets for my phone and a reinforced pocket padding for my EDC knife. These are pretty cool but yeah super pricey...but no more pricey then your average pare of Raws.

Mind you these go for $135 on the website, so this isn't a place I'd buy from

Last edited:

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No doubt about it that their stuff is pricey or heavily unavailable, but then again neither is Vermilyea Pelle...not that I'm comparing the two (completely). I have yet to find a better pair of pants though that meet my heavy criteria: Made in USA, with durable materials, and lots of pocket and organization without going the cargo pocket route. Since I've given up on denim, raw denim in specific, I'm more open to suggestions, so if you have any I'd appreciate it. I'm also trying to avoid something that is 100% cotton, as those will definitely shrink and weaken with repeated washings. A lot of the TAD stuff has nylon/cotton blends, or NYCO's as they refer to it as.

I've already looked at brands like Taylor & Stitch, Filson, LL Bean and find their stuff either too slim fitting or not what I'm searching for durability/pocket wise. I'd like something that will last more then a couple of years of usage, which is why the Doomsday Duck Canvas stuck out. A lot of TAD gear gets used by military contractors, police and undercover special ops guys and outdoor survivalist types (according to forums), so it definitely passes the durability test. I am in no way going to wear them in that fashion or need a place to put a spare AR magazine, but would be nice having one of those hidden rear yoke pockets for my phone and a reinforced pocket padding for my EDC knife. These are pretty cool but yeah super pricey...but no more pricey then your average pare of Raws.

Mind you these go for $135 on the website, so this isn't a place I'd buy from

I wont pretend to represent that I know for a fact what Military contractors or SPEC OPS are wearing in the field. TAD often alludes to this being true, when in fact, there are several reports that it is not. I chalk this up to their marketing, but I also don't dress tacticool in my day-to-day so it doesn't matter to me.

With some research, and confirmation bias from a handful of SMEs, they are wearing real gear like Crye. I believe all of their stuff is US made. I have only handled one of the PC and its seemed great. However, I don't have personal experience with their apparel or tac gear, but I do know it is heavily favored and praised.

That aside, if you like what TAD is putting out and don't care about the price tag, by all means give it a shot. But its fashion clothing. Don't buy it assuming it is also survival/sandbox rated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads