• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a slightly different track for trousers (pants) - I’m a fan of the 1941 pattern herringbone twill fatigues worn by the US marines. Very durable, useful pockets, relaxed, roomy fit. And they fade and develop some softness and character with time. Not everyone’s cup of tea but different to denim and hiking pants.

Also- they work splendidly with Iron Rangers.

BF663252-68E9-48E3-A0F3-8A001EEB1847.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a slightly different track for trousers (pants) - I’m a fan of the 1941 pattern herringbone twill fatigues worn by the US marines. Very durable, useful pockets, relaxed, roomy fit. And they fade and develop some softness and character with time. Not everyone’s cup of tea but different to denim and hiking pants.

Also- they work splendidly with Iron Rangers.

View attachment 1563395

Those might be a little too roomy then what I need. Comfortable no doubt. For awhile I was looking for a NOS WWII or Vietnam Era Military tan or green Twill trousers. These are nice, wish I could find them in Tan

The Railcars are nice but the tapered look is one i’m trying to avoid, which is mirrored in the Taylor Stitches from Huckberry. I’m really digging the Triple Aught Design DC, but the break in period scares me, also the double knees might be a “TAD” (pun intended) utilitarian for me.

CD858BE6-BD35-4E86-B72F-C81FBFBBB869.jpeg

I’m probably gonna settle for the Icon RS Pants. Maybe I’ll pick up both.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So GORUCK has finally made a backpack that could certainly compete with that of Filson, but also stand out on its own. They certainly could've went the Vermilyea Pelle route and just made their version of a very beautiful (but still somewhat of a knockoff) Filson. However, using their own unique formula, created something truly spectacular. It's called "The Heritage", made with Waxed Army Duck Canvas with beautiful leather accents

GoRuck SE 1.PNG

The fabric isn't as thick as Filson or VP, that's for sure, but GORUCK definitely doesn't need any help in the durability department, as their stuff could certainly stand together in the same ring. Speaking from experience since I've owned both bags

Goruck SE 2.PNG

Very tasteful leather accents and for a competitive price (same as the Journeyman)

Goruck SE 3.PNG

Goruck Se 5.PNG

Lifetime Warranty and made in USA. Too bad they sold out so quickly or that it wasn't offered in a GR2 34L

Goruck SE 4.PNG

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So GORUCK has finally made a backpack that could certainly compete with that of Filson, but also stand out on its own. They certainly could've went the Vermilyea Pelle route and just made their version of a very beautiful (but still somewhat of a knockoff) Filson. However, using their own unique formula, created something truly spectacular. It's called "The Heritage", made with Waxed Army Duck Canvas with beautiful leather accents

View attachment 1564801

The fabric isn't as thick as Filson or VP, that's for sure, but GORUCK definitely doesn't need any help in the durability department, as their stuff could certainly stand together in the same ring. Speaking from experience since I've owned both bags

View attachment 1564802

Very tasteful leather accents and for a competitive price (same as the Journeyman)

View attachment 1564803

View attachment 1564810

Lifetime Warranty and made in USA. Too bad they sold out so quickly or that it wasn't offered in a GR2 34L

View attachment 1564805
This is a very cool bag and would definitely make me look twice if I were in the market. They use leather from SB Tannery which is owned and operated by Red Wing boots, so the leather accents are using the same leather as the iron rangers I love so much. Thanks for sharing!

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1564801

View attachment 1564802

View attachment 1564803

View attachment 1564810

View attachment 1564805
That's the first GoRuck bag I would actually consider. Very good looking bag - and does have the 'vibe' that so many on here like. Not in the market for a backpack (just sold my Journeyman, in fact) so don't need this, but they've done a nice job with this one!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the first GoRuck bag I would actually consider. Very good looking bag - and does have the 'vibe' that so many on here like. Not in the market for a backpack (just sold my Journeyman, in fact) so don't need this, but they've done a nice job with this one!

Glad you and @TinMan3 both liked it. You can never tell until you post something how the reaction is going to be, and to be honest I am a little surprised :fonz:

If you do find yourself in the market, there is one currently available for sale on eBay at the moment. It's the Dark Oak version which I guess one could call Brown. However it's being listed with a $170 markup

Goruck SE 6.PNG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one of those steals of a deal that comes around every once in awhile. Otter Green #256 from the YKK Pad less Strap Era. Interior looks to be in good condition and the exterior has very little patina. All for the low price of $161.99 which is about half the price of a brand new one.

256.PNG

thewinedown

Reaction score
Here's one of those steals of a deal that comes around every once in awhile. Otter Green #256 from the YKK Pad less Strap Era. Interior looks to be in good condition and the exterior has very little patina. All for the low price of $161.99 which is about half the price of a brand new one.

View attachment 1565348
Nice one. If that had been a 257, I might have been tempted.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a very cool bag and would definitely make me look twice if I were in the market. They use leather from SB Tannery which is owned and operated by Red Wing boots, so the leather accents are using the same leather as the iron rangers I love so much. Thanks for sharing!

Interesting...I thought the interior brand and model patch looked Amber Harness like, but didn't make the correlation until I read your comment.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see this in their emails yet? Apparently Filson has a new collaboration with a very well known and respected tent maker. Filson contributed the colorway and the bridle leather.

Filson Tent 1.PNG

Having spent quite a few nights along the Delaware River across several free range kayak camping trips I am having a difficult time trying to figure out why someone would need a tent that is over 6 feet tall but only a 7 x 9. Considering heat rises it seems counterproductive.

Filson Tent 2.PNG

For myself I use a NorthFace tent that is about 7 years old and still going strong, despite being crammed into a tight space in the waterproof hatch in the stern of my kayak. It has just enough room for my cot and gear

my tent .jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some interesting eBay listings to share, who knows maybe someone here will snatch them up.

1. This one took me by surprise, I don't believe I have ever seen this Filson before and it just looks awesome, like it belongs in the movie "Tombstone". Build date appears to be 9508 (August 1995)

Filson Duster (w/ a Mackinaw Wool Collar)

Filson Duster.PNG

2. Albeit not as slick but a beautiful example of a Talon No.262 Rucksack with gorgeous brown leather

Filson Talon Ruck.PNG

thewinedown

Reaction score
Some interesting eBay listings to share, who knows maybe someone here will snatch them up.

1. This one took me by surprise, I don't believe I have ever seen this Filson before and it just looks awesome, like it belongs in the movie "Tombstone". Build date appears to be 9508 (August 1995)

Filson Duster (w/ a Mackinaw Wool Collar)

View attachment 1568367

2. Albeit not as slick but a beautiful example of a Talon No.262 Rucksack with gorgeous brown leather

View attachment 1568368
If you ever see a medium field bag at a solid price, I’m your huckleberry!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you ever see a medium field bag at a solid price, I’m your huckleberry!

doc holiday.jpg

It might just be a strange coincidence but I just bought a Rye that is rumored to be Doc Holliday's go to whiskey. It was also once the official medicinal whiskey of the US Navy way back during the World Wars. It's exceptionally good for the price. Oldest whiskey line in the US. It was also a featured episode on the critically acclaimed series Boardwalk Empire (modern reference)

IMG_3245.JPG

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads