• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keeping production in the USA doesn't necessarily mean the quality will remain the same, unfortunately. I would have liked to hear him commit to that as well

Leander walker

Reaction score
Generally,a move to overseas production is commensurate with a decline in quality. The retail landscape is littered with companies who formerly produced their products in the US and have either gone out of business or sullied their status with consumers. Some,like Ghurka leather goods,learned their lesson and stopped making g their goods in China. Generally,if a company is committed to manufacturing in the USA,they are going to keep the quality. Of course there is nothing to keep them from lowering it,except the diligent consumer. You can feel the weight and thickness of wool on a shirt made now and one made ten years ago. Difference?

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally,if a company is committed to manufacturing in the USA,they are going to keep the quality.
I don't really think that's true. A lot of Filson's made in USA items have declined in quality over the years already. As production in the USA becomes more expensive, companies look for ways to cut costs while still retaining the "Made in USA" label, which has cachet with some consumers

Leander walker

Reaction score
If that's being done,it's a questionable strategy. The consumer will know items are being made to a lower quality standard and act accordingly. You say "lot of Filson made in USA items have declined in quality over the years". Lots? How many? Which ones?

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that's being done,it's a questionable strategy. The consumer will know items are being made to a lower quality standard and act accordingly. You say "lot of Filson made in USA items have declined in quality over the years". Lots? How many? Which ones?
The bags for sure are not as well-made as they used to be. The cotton twill on the current version 256 bags is much lighter and flimsier than the one I bought in 2012, even. I still like the bags and will still buy them, but I would much rather that they increase the price than decrease the quality. I actually don't think the average consumer pays that much attention to the objective quality of most products, though

Winston2

Reaction score

thewinedown

Reaction score
How do you all feel about the latigo medium leather pouch? I’d love to hear your thoughts if you have them. I could potentially get a new one for $60 instead of $100 for a medium, and am intrigued.

Stratkat

Reaction score
How do you all feel about the latigo medium leather pouch? I’d love to hear your thoughts if you have them. I could potentially get a new one for $60 instead of $100 for a medium, and am intrigued.
They are great, have a small and med.
8E367431-F130-4968-9D70-82B57BB53600.jpeg

Stratkat

Reaction score
Nice thanks. I’m pretty tempted even though I have no idea what I’d use it for. Have you found a good use for the medium/what do you tend to use it for? The leather looks nice in your pic too.
I keep a J frame in it for car travel, perfect size, toss that in the bottom of my duffle or one of the end pockets.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m going to try not to be too dramatic here (insert sarcasm). Ultimately, it’s just a brand right? They’re just bags to lug our stuff around right? It’s just a coat to keep you warm and dry right? See, I don’t know.

After 1000 posts and countless conversations and transactions Filson has become something more to me. It’s something to be connected with, if you will. I think it was @speedy611 that said a long time ago that we have an innate desire in this ever increasing age of technology to work with our hands and in this case own items that were built by hand by real human beings. I think that’s a big part of it for me. Every time I pick up my Denim 256 or put on my wool packer coat I get a sense of pride and affirmation that these were expertly made by artisans. Have I fallen for Filson’s marketing scheme hook-line&sinker. Absolutely. But what’s wrong with that ;)?

I’m a fairly passionate person in general and I absolutely love the escape that goes along with being around others that are equally as passion in understanding and appreciating the smallest details and changes that we have seen over the years. I guess I just want to say thank you to all of you who have unknowingly helped me keep a smile on during both good times and challenging times. To those of you who I have built friendships with and shared coffee and tea and even a virtual whiskey I couldn’t be more thankful. I’m not going to list you all, but you know who you are. This forum in a small corner of the internet, while about Filson bags, has brought an amazing and positive force into my life and I appreciate you all. Looking forward to 1000 more.

View attachment 1535485
Hey @TinMan3 great post.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

This has become a great way to disconnect from our digital lives (although the digital world has brought this group together, so there’s that).

I formally propose that we arrange an in person, whiskey sipping, Filson wearing get-together this summer assuming COVID is behind us.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who’s that distinguished chap you are with in the photo and why are you wearing his tin cruiser?! :)

Thanks for posting this. It is heartening to have this unique group with it’s passion and breadth, and I always appreciate your posts. (That denim jacket of yours from above looks fantastic!)

Fingers crossed the current oddness ends soon and we can all get back to using our gear and having more stories and photos to share. Meanwhile I look forward to your next 1000 posts...
That tin cruiser just about had me marching to the closest Filson store to get my own. Unfortunately I couldn’t bring my entire wardrobe to England though I would have like me to. I too am looking forward to traveling again! I have friends I need to see and a brand new nephew I need to meet. I’ve gotta size him up for his first Filson; he’s only 6 months so it might be a while :).

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were a couple of interesting subs on the Filson Reddit that I thought folks here might be interested in checking out. It started with a complaint going to Filson's customer service, and ended with the original poster having a phone call with Tom Kartsotis (head of Bedrock, which owns Filson) and a lengthy e-mail from Paolo Corinaldesi.

Original sub:
https://www.reddit.com/r/filson/comments/kq940a/filson_frustration/

Follow-up sub:

I thought these subs went along well with what TinMan3 wonderfully wrote earlier. I share a similar affinity to my Filson products. For me, it stems back to the late 80's when my dad extolled the value of well-crafted products. At the time, my dad was frequently traveling across the country, and had a Filson duffle bag that he took with him on all his trips. Then when I graduated high school, he bought me my first Filson product: a 257 in otter green.

Flash forward a couple of decades, and I find myself living just down the road from Filson's HQ. I pop up to their showroom regularly, whenever I have to be in Seattle. I love chatting with the craftspeople in the restoration shop, swapping stories about bags and dreaming about unicorns. Inevitably during those chats, other customers get involved and before long the retail space becomes more of a living room of sorts where a bunch of strangers enjoy talking about Filson and the adventures that their Filson products have accompanied them on.

Soooo, yeah, Filson has cultivated, quite naturally it seems, a community that has wonderful little nooks all around the interwebs and globe.

And for fun, my latest bags:

View attachment 1535728
First of all— thanks for the kinds words. Second— I saw those emails on Reddit and I thought about posting them here but forgot, so thank you. It’s actually kind of neat to hear someone from the actual company tell us what we have hypothesized, that the foreign made products are what make continuing the US manufacturing operation a reality. I do find it interesting that he thinks the company charges a “fair” price for their products. With the rate they have inflated over the last few years I’m still calling BS. I think the Mack cruiser is still a fair price at $395, but $850 for the double with a hood and $800-$1000 (Shinola Collabs) for a quartz watch is totally crazy pricing and they’re making massive margins. I guess maybe they need to to cover overhead, but I don’t think I’d call their pricing “fair” per say.

Thirdly and most importantly. Hot damn that camo 256 is incredible. Maybe one of the coolest I’ve ever seen. What a great couple of bags you have got there. I even like the orange leather on the 261. Very very nice.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads