• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @TinMan3 great post.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

This has become a great way to disconnect from our digital loves (although the digital world has brought this group together, so there’s that).

I formally propose that we arrange an in person, whiskey sipping, Filson wearing get-together this summer assuming COVID is behind us.
It’s been needing to happen for a long time. I am 100% in! I know there are some other midwesterners in the group but I’d say NYC might get the most possible attendees. Let’s do it!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s been needing to happen for a long time. I am 100% in! I know there are some other midwesterners in the group but I’d say NYC might get the most possible attendees. Let’s do it!

My vote is for Naperville. This way @GzStudio can attend. Sure it’s a plane ride for me but Cago in the summer is epic, and we already have a couple locals that know the lay of the land

GzStudio

Reaction score
My vote is for Naperville. This way @GzStudio can attend. Sure it’s a plane ride for me but Cago in the summer is epic, and we already have a couple locals that know the lay of the land

Depending on when, I have no problem traveling. I have not been to the Naperville store (which is odd) but I believe it is relatively small....Need to coordinate at the main store and get a tour with the FRD folks....

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on when, I have no problem traveling. I have not been to the Naperville store (which is odd) but I believe it is relatively small....Need to coordinate at the main store and get a tour with the FRD folks....
100% this. Either Seattle or NYC for the big store. Traveling could present some challenges for me this summer but I might be able to pull it off.

The Naperville store is great but is very small and nothing special about it other than great workers and of course that it’s Filson. @GzStudio it is very odd that you haven’t been there! I’ve been quite a few times since it’s out toward my in-laws but they’re really great.

If we had enough people, they may do one of those build it yourself FRD workshops for us! That’s would be epic!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% this. Either Seattle or NYC for the big store. Traveling could present some challenges for me this summer but I might be able to pull it off.

The Naperville store is great but is very small and nothing special about it other than great workers and of course that it’s Filson. @GzStudio it is very odd that you haven’t been there! I’ve been quite a few times since it’s out toward my in-laws but they’re really great.

If we had enough people, they may do one of those build it yourself FRD workshops for us! That’s would be epic!

Don’t get me wrong, the NY flagship store is very impressive, but i was more impressed with the smaller niche store on Great Jones. If it’s a vote between the two (NYC or Seattle), my vote is Seattle. Never been to that store before and I love Seattle. Too bad I wasn’t into Filson when I was there back in 2011, coincidentally the same year I was in Chicago.

Look at me saying I’d rather travel 3000 miles while the other option is right in my backyard. :fonz:

Leander walker

Reaction score
I've been to New York,DC,Naperville and Boston stores and New York by far best of group. Really great people working there,great selection,large enough,not to mention the great 163 year old barn that is part of the stores store is in a really nice Manhattan neighborhood that features some incredible architecture in neighboring buildings

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally,a move to overseas production is commensurate with a decline in quality. The retail landscape is littered with companies who formerly produced their products in the US and have either gone out of business or sullied their status with consumers. Some,like Ghurka leather goods,learned their lesson and stopped making g their goods in China. Generally,if a company is committed to manufacturing in the USA,they are going to keep the quality. Of course there is nothing to keep them from lowering it,except the diligent consumer. You can feel the weight and thickness of wool on a shirt made now and one made ten years ago. Difference?
The thickness of wool and the construction of their core products has not changed. The wool is still the best of the best coming from Pendleton. The bags are still high quality, though the twill is not as “stiff” and the leather in some cases is not as supple as in the past. I am yet to really see a failure on a bag due to this.

I will say this. If you look at the stitching on a mackinaw cruiser vs on the imported Jac shirt, there is a significant difference. I may try to post about this specifically some time but I tend to agree that if they are committed to keeping the manufacturing in Seattle, they are going to keep the material quality pretty high as well. The labor is the most expensive part, so skimping on materials doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

IVIozartsGhost

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads