Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ebmk3891, Nov 10, 2010.

1. BiKi Orleans

BiKi Orleans New Member

Happy New Year everyone!

Bought a Gianni Versace Couture blazer at a steal...but i'd still love to know if it's authentic...

here's the label (inner, right side - no inner pocket though)

[​IMG]

and here's the composition tag/care label - by alias (80s? 90s?)

[​IMG]

the lining has versace's signature medusa head all over, it is a single button blazer and the button's made of plastic with versace engraved on it

it's a steal (dirt cheap) so if it's fake it's no biggie...but i'll be ecstatic if i found out that i've got the real deal!! :)

2. Abstraktmind

Abstraktmind Senior member

3. Viral

Viral Senior member

Is This A Real Z Zegna Suit? Need Authenticity approval

Ait's real...........most probably picked up from an outlet and so the tag has been marked with that line.

Why not ask the seller if you have doubts?

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Real. 90's I believe. Ask Spoo.
    Welcome to Styleforum.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

5. BiKi Orleans

BiKi Orleans New Member

[​IMG] i'm so darn lucky! i know someone who would die to have this jacket!
    Thank you, Man Of Lint!

6. SailorS15

SailorS15 Active Member

If you're wearing anything Tom Ford, I'm right beh
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

7. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

Paul Smith Wallet Real?
    I was wondering if anyone could let me know if they think this wallet is real or not? I payed about 160ish usd for it. I bought it in Japan. It says made in Italy on the box and on the wallet itself. I have never had a Paul Smith wallet before. It does smell like leather, but it is not a strong smell. There is also something weird at the credit card area, but maybe that is normal for this type of wallet. Thanks for any comments.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Yeh that's normally done with seconds or rejects, stops people taking garments back to the stores, claiming they're defective.

9. HolidayDoc

HolidayDoc New Member

Gianni Versace Couture blazer - fake or not?!
    Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum and came across it when doing an online search regarding GV Couture.
    The reason for it is, that I've bought a Gianni Versace Couture blazer off ebay.
    Regarding the pics in the auction everything seemed to be fine which means that in my opinion it was typically Versace's style, the close up pics were decent and the seller had a good ranking.

Now that the blazer has arrived at my door, I'm not so sure anymore that it is authentic.
    The blazer really looks nice but beside the fact that it does not fit - it is an European 48 in contrast to European 50 claimed by the vendor - the Gianni Versace Couture Label inside the blazer has not been fixed with real great care and looks a bit sloppy and also the inner lining - though some parts of the blazer seem to be hand made - has some weak spots at the bottom for what stitching to the blazer itself is concerned.

As said before, it really looks nice but I expected a blazer that would knock me off my feet regarding the construction level and materials used but in fact - at least in my opinion - it is not enough to be a Couture suit...

Further there aren't any production or care instruction labels inside the blazer. The seller mentioned it in his auction und explained that it was used as and in fact is a runway sample during NY's fashion week so I did not do any further investigation but now I'm quite concerned if it's a fake or not.

Since the seller does not offer any refund I would like to sell the blazer, especially since it does not fit... but only if I can honestly claim that it is not a fake but real GV couture line...

Would be really great if someone could help to clear things up a little!

This is the link to the auction where you can find detailed pics of the blazer. Hope that helps!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/160724567204?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks in advance,

With best Regards,

Michael

10. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Ive seen that "made in italy" tag on some other suit brands. If you find out who makes the suits for Versace couture and match that label you can find your answer. You see that tag on some of the suits/coats in C21, i cant really remember the brands though. That is a really scary looking blazer btw.

11. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This looks authentic, but don't be mistaken, this is from FW98 or FW99. Now, Gianni Versace couture is made by Zegna to near couture standards. However, back in the late 90s when this blazer was from, Gianni Versace black label couture (one step up from the white label with the same font) was made by their factory "Alias". The black label was made by Inco, FWIW. Is it authentic? From the pictures I can see, most definitely. However GV couture blazers from that period usually go for about $250 or so. Very best of luck with it.

13. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

If spoo is correct in what he's saying (he probably is), then you can probably return it. How can an item be NWOT if it's 15 years old?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

14. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Probably inferred NWOT - i.e. worn X amount of times but in such good condition the seller was being naughty by listing it as such. I have seen NWT stuff that was clearly at least 10 years old.

15. HolidayDoc

HolidayDoc New Member

Hi Spoo,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback regarding the blazer.

What do you think of the fact, that there aren't any production or care instruction tags inside of the blazer?!
    Could this one really be a sample piece for a runway show as mentioned by the seller? Does Versace normally do any sample pieces for runway shows?!

Having the blazer in my hands it really seems to be NWT, there is nothing which points out that it has really been worn... which is also a little strange since the blazer is more or less already 15 years old, regarding your answer... ;-(

Thanks,

Michael

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012