• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exit Interviews

kryn13

Reaction score
I avoid the exit interview at all costs. Nothing good can come of them. Schedule it for the week AFTER you've left the company.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HR is just one large cluster **** of marsupials.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr

I don't understand why anyone would actually choose to study HR at university.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I don't understand why anyone would actually choose to study HR at university.

My dad runs a finance division for a large pharmaceutical company and HR told him that he couldn't bring me in to show me around. So people under him were telling him what he could and couldn't do. Maybe he was just trying to set a good example by following policy, but it really pissed me off.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is what she is going to do. Layoffs started to hit Toronto in January, though, so I think her job search is on hold. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but how do people generally handle references when their employer doesn't know they are looking for a new job?

In my experience (head hunter), my candidates have used co-workers, former managers who've left, clients, suppliers, subordinates, etc. Obviously those folks can lie - but then, there's not much more incentive for the person's current managers not to lie either. Referencing is a different beast these days, and in my opinion, is losing its usefulness. People vet their references in advance, as we're discussing now. They pick people who will give them a positive reference. So why conduct reference checks at all? Due diligence? I don't know. There is the off-chance that a reference will promise a positive reference and then give a negative one, but then they're asking for legal trouble.

HR people are weak tea bags.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Yes, that is what she is going to do. Layoffs started to hit Toronto in January, though, so I think her job search is on hold. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but how do people generally handle references when their employer doesn't know they are looking for a new job?

I think it comes down to your relationships. Ideally, you'll have existing supervisors or colleagues to whom you're sufficiently close that you can disclose to them in confidence that you're looking at other opportunities. You can then have the potential new employer call them directly. You can also tell the new employer that your current employer doesn't know, and figure out what they need to get comfortable. They may agree to talk to a few non-current references in the first instance, and to hold off on contacting your current employer until after a conditional offer (that is, conditioned on your current employer not saying you're a schmuck) has been extended.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I think it comes down to your relationships. Ideally, you'll have existing supervisors or colleagues to whom you're sufficiently close that you can disclose to them in confidence that you're looking at other opportunities. You can then have the potential new employer call them directly. You can also tell the new employer that your current employer doesn't know, and figure out what they need to get comfortable. They may agree to talk to a few non-current references in the first instance, and to hold off on contacting your current employer until after a conditional offer (that is, conditioned on your current employer not saying you're a schmuck) has been extended.

That last bit is a great suggestiong, LD. I'll pass it along to my friend.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is always the chinese wall option...

Where I am, you must disclose when you are seeking employment at other firms in certain sectors. Seeking employment is pretty encompassing...even being offered a chance to talk about an opportunity and not explicitly turning it down counts. I suppose the key to it working out is that there is a certain person you must disclose these things to that keeps it all in a database. If your supervisor tries to assign you to a company you are "seeking employment" at, they aren't told that you are job hunting, only that you are unable to handle that company. There are many other reasons that an institution may be off limits including holding a financial stake or having family ties so its not like anyone would assume you were trying to jump ship.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in my office, an exit interview led to the immidiate dismisal of the person's boss. he basically said "well, John said that there was no real future here for our team, so I started looking for work. I was pretty sure John was looking for work, too". boom, John was out on his ass taht afternoon.

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
in my office, an exit interview led to the immidiate dismisal of the person's boss. he basically said "well, John said that there was no real future here for our team, so I started looking for work. I was pretty sure John was looking for work, too". boom, John was out on his ass taht afternoon.

The ultimate revenge on a boss.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Whoa -- are you suggesting that it's even appropriate to tell a current manager that you're exploring other opportunities prior to the assurance of such opportunities? I ask as I may soon be in that position (the opportunity for me is going back to college full time), and my manager is a godsend. I do not want to leave him hanging with a standard notice (there is no one else who does what I do), or even a month or two, so I am thinking of telling him ASAP, in confidence, and offsite. Very few people to whom I speak think this is a good idea, yet I am still planning so to do. ~ H

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I ask as I may soon be in that position (the opportunity for me is going back to college full time), and my manager is a godsend. I do not want to leave him hanging with a standard notice (there is no one else who does what I do), or even a month or two, so I am thinking of telling him ASAP, in confidence, and offsite. Very few people to whom I speak think this is a good idea, yet I am still planning so to do. ~ H
I was in a similar position prior to returning back to school full time. Because it was a startup company, and the product was proprietary, there was no readily replacement for me from the job market. Even with a 2-month notice, I ended up doing part-time consulting work for the company and trained the new person well into the Fall semester because I felt obligated to the company. With hind sight, it was a terrible idea. My grades suffered as a result of having to split time between work and school. And everyone who's gone to law school knows, first year grades are the most important. They set you up for everything down the line. Eventually, my grades picked up and I was able to make up for the poor grades earlier. But, the damages were done. In any case, I hope you won't have to repeat the mistake that I made.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
There is always the chinese wall option...

Where I am, you must disclose when you are seeking employment at other firms in certain sectors. Seeking employment is pretty encompassing...even being offered a chance to talk about an opportunity and not explicitly turning it down counts. I suppose the key to it working out is that there is a certain person you must disclose these things to that keeps it all in a database. If your supervisor tries to assign you to a company you are "seeking employment" at, they aren't told that you are job hunting, only that you are unable to handle that company. There are many other reasons that an institution may be off limits including holding a financial stake or having family ties so its not like anyone would assume you were trying to jump ship.

Who do you disclose the information to? HR? I have never heard of such a clause in a contract before...is it legal to ask for that information?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Who do you disclose the information to? HR? I have never heard of such a clause in a contract before...is it legal to ask for that information?

I'm not in the industry, but it sounds like something they would do in finance to eliminate conflicts of interest after Spitzer went on his crusade.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

My dad runs a finance division for a large pharmaceutical company and HR told him that he couldn't bring me in to show me around. So people under him were telling him what he could and couldn't do. Maybe he was just trying to set a good example by following policy, but it really pissed me off.

A good HR VP is one of a CEOs most valuable tool. HR never tells me what to do, but like an attorney, they offer advice in their area of specialty. If I decide to listen to said advice, or not, is my business. But when I pay someone six figures to advise me, what type of idiot am I, if I routinely ignore their advice? If I thought I was getting bad advice, on a regular basis, then it's just time to replace the head of HR.

HR, in and of itself, can save you from heartbreak.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads