• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ethically-made suiting - your recommendations wanted!

percystprospect

Reaction score
Hi all, new here and so I apologise in advance if this has already been covered in detail elsewhere - search function didn't turn up much on this topic.

I'm in the market for a new suit for work. My budget is up to AUD$1200 for off the rack (Hugo Boss are in my experience the only store in Australia with a decent long fit), although I'm considering stretching to MTM.

Can anyone recommend suit shop in any of Adelaide / Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane which offers ethically-made off the rack or MTM suits?

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a double-breasted suit from Oscar Hunt and I really like the fit I got. They did a really great job. Suit Shop is another option and I believe both will fit within your budget. As far as the suits being ethically-made, I couldn't answer one way or another. I didn't check. Neither of them strike me as companies that would use sweatshops, if that's what your concern was.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate more on your definition of ethically made? If it's supply chain issues, go for a cloth by Vitale Barberis Canonico, which is the gold standard for ethics in the supply chain. It's pioneered the recycling of water during production and is revered for the treatment of sheep.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking to turn this into a big debate, but what exactly does "ethically" mean, in this context? That the suit was made in a country with a good record of upholding basic human rights? That the people who made the suit were paid in accordance with some (which?) standard? That the sheep from whom the wool for the suit is derived were sheared in some sheep-friendly manner? That the facility where the suit was manufactured uses only environmentally-friendly renewable energy? That the manufacturer donates some percentage of its profits to some cause(s) you deem desirable? That the suit's manufacturer doesn't discriminate in hiring/promotion with regard to age/gender/race/religion/ethnic origin/sexual preference/etc.?

Again, I'm NOT challenging your right to limit yourself to ethically-made suits. I'm fine with that. I'm just not sure what ethically-made means in this case, and would appreciate some clarification.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads