• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

MattyS

Reaction score
On one hand, I'm feeling quite a bit of resentment because of the horrible communication. It's one thing that you are unable to meet your commitments, but ghosting customers while you keep taking orders until the day you close shop feels like a ****** move, quite frankly.
I don't understand this sentiment. Surely they were trying to save the business until the moment they realized that they couldn't. If they had notified their customers that the business was in financial straits and that they may not be able to fulfill new orders, it would have obviously been a self-fulfilling prophecy. The only way for them to have a chance to stay afloat was to keep taking orders!

Now, if there was a point at which they decided to enter a liquidating bankruptcy but kept taking orders, then I would be inclined to agree that they had done their customers who placed orders after that point a serious wrong. But there's no evidence at all that this happened, is there?

nelsypants

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve managed to have luck disputing the credit card transactions for orders placed with Equus in late 2021. For reference, this was using Visa and Mastercard credit cards. There’s a 540 day limit for disputes of this nature so best to get cracking if you’ve also been affected.

MattyS

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve managed to have luck disputing the credit card transactions for orders placed with Equus in late 2021. For reference, this was using Visa and Mastercard credit cards. There’s a 540 day limit for disputes of this nature so best to get cracking if you’ve also been affected.
Could you say more? What sort of documentation did you need? (It's not like I received a notice that my order has been canceled/would not be fulfilled.)

nelsypants

Reaction score
Could you say more? What sort of documentation did you need? (It's not like I received a notice that my order has been canceled/would not be fulfilled.)
Hi Matty, it was a surprisingly easy process through my banks. I sent through evidence of original invoices as well as correspondence from the liquidator. It’s certainly worth a try.

marlinspike

Reaction score
I recently went through this when a pen store took thousands from me on the promise of still being able to get certain pens I believed to be discontinued under the pretense Montblanc would fulfill them as they had the same pens on an old backorder. I had done business with them for years, so I was willing to believe this. A week or so later they disappeared in the night and shortly thereafter declared bankruptcy. For AmEx to give me my money back, all I had to do was tell them this occurred, never provided proof of anything.

fazalmajid

Reaction score
Over the last several years I've purchased 3-4 belts from Equus and had been thinking of another couple. I very much regret not ordering them now. I'm sorry for the Equus team and people who have pending orders. What are some alternatives that people recommend? I think someone mentioned Tim Hardy.
I've lost a lot of weight on doctor's orders and had to shrink my belts by 4 inches (good problem to have, I know). I'd sent all my my Equus belts save one for them to shorten, it took them six months to do the work apart from my black raised and lined belt they couldn't do, so I bought a plain black one from Tim Hardy as the Equus prices were no longer within the realm of reason. It's fairly basic, but well made.

Cuebert

Reaction score
Very sad to hear about Equus shutting down. I own two belts and a Llyod Card Wallet and have always been very happy with them.

I hope this is not too insensitive to ask on this thread, but any alternatives to Equus with a similar Design and Quality?

I will reach out to Charlie personally and report back.

Aside from our professional relationship, I have been a personal customer of @Equus Leather for years. My favorite is a damascus belt stamped with the date of my anniversary.

Though the circumstances are both surprising and disappointing, I wish Charlie and Dawn the best wishes for their next chapter, and I will report back as I am able.

Any update on this @LA Guy ?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very sad to hear about Equus shutting down. I own two belts and a Llyod Card Wallet and have always been very happy with them.

I hope this is not too insensitive to ask on this thread, but any alternatives to Equus with a similar Design and Quality?

No, I've received no update.

Cheers,

Fok.

msimon

Reaction score

Give Tim Hardy leather belts a look.

fazalmajid

Reaction score
Give Tim Hardy leather belts a look.
Also Jasper Highet of Colyton, who offer their belts in J&FJ Bakers (also of Colyton) in oak bark tanned leather. The quality is a little bit higher, for instance the end of the belt where the buckle is fitted is skived (thinned) so when folded back over itself and the buckle, it does not take double the thickness.

Neither offer more refined options like raised and lined belts the way Equus did. Atelier Subdivise in France used to, but their style tends towards rustic and functional.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't check this thread often and had no idea Equus went out of business. I’ve been meaning to start an independent leather craftsman thread for wallets, but anyone interested in a custom wallet should reach out to Wyatt at Dreadnought. Last year he designed and made me a small alligator card case/wallet that I've been nothing but happy with. Great communication and fair pricing. I'll try and get around to that thread with pics soon.

Last edited:

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also Jasper Highet of Colyton, who offer their belts in J&FJ Bakers (also of Colyton) in oak bark tanned leather. The quality is a little bit higher, for instance the end of the belt where the buckle is fitted is skived (thinned) so when folded back over itself and the buckle, it does not take double the thickness.

Neither offer more refined options like raised and lined belts the way Equus did. Atelier Subdivise in France used to, but their style tends towards rustic and functional.

Equus didn't skiv the belts at the buckle fold? Jeez.... their bridle was, what, 4mm thick? Skiving the fold should be de rigueur for any belt.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh ok.

There was a maker in the UK named Terry Dear of Celtic Leathercrafts who made belts, though not so sure he does anymore.

Anyway, this guy used to skiv the fold and secure the belt in the fold so snug (and then stitched) that you could barely notice any bulk at that part of the belt, compared to some other makers who wouldn't skiv and even leave quite a bit of wiggle room for the buckle wihtin the fold. It just looks bulbous, sloppy, and, frankly, uncomfortable to wear.

Terry Dear was on a whole other level of belt makers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads