Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Equus Leather, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Hi Layman,

If the colour is looking a bit flat typically its that the leather is a bit dry and feeling tired rather than that the colour has changed a great deal. My first recommendation would be a good leather feed or two and then see how it looks and feels. Everyone says good things about the Saphir stuff though so I dont imagine it will do anything bad if you try it.

By all means send me a photo or two if you like - if I can help more Im vary happy to

Charlie

2. Equus Leather

This is the first calf belt out of the workshop. Its black calf with mouse grey stitching, quite subtle but intended to co-ordinate with striped morning suit trousers which will bring out the grey of the thread I hope. The belt is 1 1/8" wide - the perfect formal belt width to me and has the my personal sterling silver buckle on it from the last batch we made. This is the the first of a calf range we're putting together at the moment after lots of development and investment. Its completely hand made and hand stitched of course and similar to our bridle leather L&R, but much softer and only around 3 1/2mm thick in the raised section. The making process is interesting - a combination of the English and French schools of craftsmanship and has been quite a learning curve for us. We can get lots and lots of colours in this calf so huge potential for interesting combinations.

[​IMG]

The Mouse Grey (love the name) thread is in the foreground here

[​IMG]

Charlie

3. Kroaker

Kroaker Senior member

Looking forward to seeing more of the calf belts! How soon until will you have a dark brown option?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

4. Equus Leather

I hope we'll have the belts and accompanying calf watch straps ready to go over the next few weeks - just putting together the details really. I'll keep everyone posted!

Charlie

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

West End Burgundy vs. West End Australian Nut

For reference, I wanted to share a couple of images of my burgundy West End compared to Aus nut. As Charlie has mentioned, this particular shade of burgundy is very subtle. I really like it's versatility and chose a more casual setup, 1 3/8" with a brushed brass buckle.

When I decided to spec an Australian nut West End, I chose a slightly dressier version, 1 1/4" with stainless buckle. Both have their place in my wardrobe. As you can see they are similar but certainly differ enough to easily justify owning both, especially if the specs are different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No recent update on the Russet Bakers. It's been hot as Hades this July so it hasn't seen much wear. I'll post an update in the fall.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

6. Equus Leather

Just an update on stuff we are working on internally here

This is a little light weight card case and glasses slip case matched pair fresh of the work bench. More than anything they are a development exercise in some of the different techniques needed for light weight leathers, but also for me for a trip to London as my wallet has died and I didnt want to look a complete tramp! Both cases have a vegtable tanned calf exterior with a pigskin lining handstitched with Ecru Lin Cable. Very much development rather than sale pieces but a number of people have been asking for similar things so just letting people know we do listen to requests and are working on new designs.

Next development update will probably be a tannery trip for some Alligator early in September and I very much hope we'll get a delivery of Barenia from Tannerie Haas at some point in September as well.

[​IMG]

Charlie

7. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

8. Equus Leather

Ive had some nice comments re the wallet - thanks folks much appreciated. The pattern is a work in progress but will progress and will obviously post photos here. A nice mid brown or a green semi matt Alligator version of the same would look nice - might be the next iteration!

Charlie

9. Equus Leather

Just this minute got some lovely Barenia samples from France. Its a lovely full grain natural saddle leather, thats been double tanned and oiled . It has reputation for developing an amazing patina over time and I think will make a loverly lined and stitched casual belt. Historically this is quite a famous leather - Hermes have used this a lot for their bags and to a degree their belts but it seems to be getting rarer these days. We'll have some in a couple of months I hope

The photos dont do it justice as ever with leather photos

[​IMG]

Charlie

10. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

wallet looks sweet

11. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

wallet looks sweet

12. Salanito

Salanito Member

They look very nice, will get my first belt from you soon to so looking forward to that. But with the wallets keep in mind that some people might have a problem with the pigskin lining for religious reasons. So it might be worth making one with a different lining as well.

13. Equus Leather

Good point and one I hadn't thought of I confess so thank you. The pigskin lining is nice, really I used it because its what was to hand though, I think the production versions all have calf or goat linings. Goat has a really attractive grain pattern and is a traditional lining material because you can skive it down to thin the seam areas without it loosing strength or shape, I sourced some the other day so will post some photos in due course

Charlie

14. Equus Leather

Actually, Ive just looked again at the pigskin. Its really nice and is undyed but beautifully finished so shows the true character of the leather which is a recuring theme for our work, I hate leather that looks like plastic. We will offer the natural pigskin as an option I think, as well as the goat and calf so lots of choices

I'll post more photos over the next few days

Charlie

15. Salanito

Salanito Member

Choices are nice :)