• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote burgundy, saddle and deep red in that order. Plain or cap toe, no wings/brogue. I understand the love of speed hooks, but I vote blind eyelets as I have yet to experience speed hooks that don't snag, especially any material other than denim.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mike, what's the surcharge for a single MTO? That's if it's possible

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Mike, what's the surcharge for a single MTO? That's if it's possible

We unfortunately can't do single pair MTO's, but given the cost of a shell bal boot, we probably only need 6 people to commit for that - with 8 people needed for a calf/suede/scotchgrain makeup.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We unfortunately can't do single pair MTO's, but given the cost of a shell bal boot, we probably only need 6 people to commit for that - with 8 people needed for a calf/suede/scotchgrain makeup.

awesome. this is great news

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think Navy shell would be an awesome choice for a bal boot. the color is a good fit for the formality of a bal, as it will look great at night and with dark colors. and this makeup would be something would be something you would never ever find anywhere else, which I think it part of the appeal of a MTO: getting something otherwise difficult to obtain

Couldn't disagree more.

And Cognac should be available. Edward Green and Carmina use it....

If Cognac is not available in the bal boot, I vote Chestnut...but...but...something like a dark brown burnished calf would do the trick as well. See here:

EG Shannon on 202 Last (Robert-esque). Notice the speed hooks (damn it!). A shorter boot would be awesome with all blind eyes, not such a high boot.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So how are going to do this? Kgmessier did this for a special Alden makeup and the process went pretty well. He let the forum go for a certain amount of time with suggestions then created a google spreadsheet where we voted.
Like Namor, I'm down for a balmoral boot, preferrably in shell. Speedhooks are must with this type of footwear though.

The man speaks truth.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My preferences:
Shell Color: Dark Cognac
Style: Captoe (no preference between captoe and punch captoe)
Outsole: No Preference
Eyelets: Speed hooks
Last: Robert
Welt: Flat

Ah, you've come around. This is the win. I say brogue cap. Ultimate makeup indeed.

I say double leather on the sole (but could get down with Dainite).

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for those who are opposed to speed hooks, your opinions are probably based on a previous experience with a casual Alden or C&J boot. These boots are neither as tall nor as fitted as a "dress" boot aka balmoral. Balmoral boots are less likely to snag your shoes because they are up to 1-2 inches taller and thus less likely to make contact with your pant hems. They are also considerably slimmer around the ankle when laced up than an Alden boot.

Speed hooks aren't really not an option, imo, but more of a requirement. Im willing to sacrifice the hooks in order to get this MTO done, but I recommend anyone who hasn't worn a traditional balmoral boot to try one on. Hopefully youll see the functionality of speed hooks

Last edited:

kungapa

Reaction score

for those who are opposed to speed hooks, your opinions are probably based on a previous experience with a casual Alden or C&J boot. These boots are neither as tall nor as fitted as a "dress" boot aka balmoral. Balmoral boots are less likely to snag your shoes because they are up to 1-2 inches taller and thus less likely to make contact with your pant hems. They are also considerably slimmer around the ankle when laced up than an Alden boot.
Speed hooks aren't really not an option, imo, but more of a requirement. Im willing to sacrifice the hooks in order to get this MTO done, but I recommend anyone who hasn't worn a traditional balmoral boot to try one on. Hopefully youll see the functionality of speed hooks

I have a pair of balmoral boots with no speed hooks. The top 3-4 holes never get laced.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My preference in the balmoral boot would be navy and then deep red.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads