• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can verify with certainty that the eyelets on my Carmina boots are hidden metal. They are smooth and match the color of the interior lining exceptionally well.

nbernie

Reaction score
Useful description of Carmina lasts by Ethan over at The Armoury thread.

The Carmina lasts are all width specific - from my experience, you cannot get a narrow last made wide, nor a wide last made narrow. Rather they have lasts that are narrow or wide, with different shapes and toe boxes per last. What we currently carry are the following;

Simpson - a narrow last with a chisel toe. Reasonably extended in the toe box, and a reasonably narrow waist. E width.
Alcudia - much like the Simpson, but with more of an Almond Toe. E width.
Robert - A rounded Almond toe, E width. Officially it is the same width as the Simspon, but the extra room at the toe tends to make it more comfortable for wider feet.
Inca - a pointed toe, on our widest last, with a fairly wide waist. The most comfortable last we have for wide and flat feet. EE width.
Rain - Much like the Inca, but with a chisel toe. EE width.
Forest - a popular last in Europe, it is a standard width with a soft round toe, quite low in the instep, so high insteps can feel a little pinched in this last. E width.
Uetam - a new last for us in a loafer, it feels very similar to the Forest, if a shade narrower. E width.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is really exciting - all the makeups that you're discussing sound fantastic! Couple of notes from my side:

1. Balmoral Boot in cordovan is going to run about $1K, give or take. It all depends on the sole, details, construction, but figure it's going to be about there. We'll price these as fairly as we can, and I'll find some freebees to give the customers who participate in the special makeup projects. :).
And BTW - a cordo Bal boot is going to be so freaking cool it hurts!

2. The great thing with Carmina is that they can give very concrete delivery dates. If they have the Cordovan in stock, then we can get a pretty firm delivery window on it. If it can't be made for the Spring, then I'll be able to give you a reasonable window for the Fall before you plunk down any money.

3. The only Cordovan colors currently available to order are:

Saddle: like our current Salinger double monk
Chestnut: like our current Fitzgerald shortwing
Burgundy: similar to Alden Color 8, but slightly less reddish. Darker than Chestnut
Navy
Loden Green
Black
Deep Red

Whiskey, Ravello, and Cigar are all exclusive to Alden. The colors are variable, and it's entirely possible that a run of Chestnut could be more reddish and Ravello-like, but it's impossible to tell. But the color differences that you're seeing in example photos above are mostly due to poor color correction in studio photography. As someone who shoots a LOT of shell cordovan, I can tell you that it's a pain ********** to get the color fidelity correct. That's why I've begun shooting footwear both in studio and in outdoor muted light.

4. Some lasts, but not all can be made in wides and/or narrows. Depending on which last you choose, I can advise on what sizing is possible.

5. We should be able to sell and deliver both lasted shoe trees and matching belts with the shoes for any customers who want them with their special makeup shoes.

Thanks!
Mike

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,
This is really exciting - all the makeups that you're discussing sound fantastic! Couple of notes from my side:
1. Balmoral Boot in cordovan is going to run about $1K, give or take. It all depends on the sole, details, construction, but figure it's going to be about there. We'll price these as fairly as we can, and I'll find some freebees to give the customers who participate in the special makeup projects. :).
And BTW - a cordo Bal boot is going to be so freaking cool it hurts!
2. The great thing with Carmina is that they can give very concrete delivery dates. If they have the Cordovan in stock, then we can get a pretty firm delivery window on it. If it can't be made for the Spring, then I'll be able to give you a reasonable window for the Fall before you plunk down any money.
3. The only Cordovan colors currently available to order are:
Saddle: like our current Salinger double monk
Chestnut: like our current Fitzgerald shortwing
Burgundy: similar to Alden Color 8, but slightly less reddish. Darker than Chestnut
Navy
Loden Green
Black
Deep Red
Whiskey, Ravello, and Cigar are all exclusive to Alden. The colors are variable, and it's entirely possible that a run of Chestnut could be more reddish and Ravello-like, but it's impossible to tell. But the color differences that you're seeing in example photos above are mostly due to poor color correction in studio photography. As someone who shoots a LOT of shell cordovan, I can tell you that it's a pain ********** to get the color fidelity correct. That's why I've begun shooting footwear both in studio and in outdoor muted light.
4. Some lasts, but not all can be made in wides and/or narrows. Depending on which last you choose, I can advise on what sizing is possible.
5. We should be able to sell and deliver both lasted shoe trees and matching belts with the shoes for any customers who want them with their special makeup shoes.
Thanks!
Mike

Mike,

Could you tell us what suede or oiled nubuck/chamois options there are?

Thanks in advance,
George

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Are the cordovan shells all from Horween? Including the more coLorful varieties?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up. Are the cordovan shells all from Horween? Including the more coLorful varieties?

Absolutely, all of the Shell Cordovan is from Horween.

Mike I'm particularly curious about deep red. is that like Horween #6? #4? Something else?

It's a dark, deep cherry color. Not a burgundy at all - it's definitely bold.

Yuketen actually produces shoes in the more colorful horween varieties. Here's some examples:

Loden Shell

Deep Red

Last edited:

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got it. I know AE used to sell "Black Cherry" Horween shell and I wonder if this is the same color. I think it could be. I can see why they switched to burgundy. This deeper red is more striking and eye catching (and to me, more awesome) but the standard burgundy is more appropriate as an everyday, stoic, business shoe. it's much more of a lowest common denominator that would appeal to the wide net of the AE customer base

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Mike! As long as the boot stays in the $1k area, im in. For perspective, a mto G&G shell boot costs close to $2k and a Rider boot is $1200, if you can get it in your size. For those interested in the boot, I'm open to either the burgundy or chestnut shell colors.

Last edited:

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks Mike! As long as the boot stays in the $1k area, im in. For perspective, a mto G&G shell boot costs close to $2k and a Rider boot is $1200, if you can get it in your size. For those interested in the boot, I'm open to either the burgundy or chestnut shell colors.

The two colors I would be happy with also. Now, can we find enough people that want to drop $1k?

kungapa

Reaction score
How about the sole and the welt? With a sleek boot like above perhaps a 360 split/reverse welt with very lightly stained sole edges?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Navy shell would be an awesome choice for a bal boot. the color is a good fit for the formality of a bal, as it will look great at night and with dark colors. and this makeup would be something would be something you would never ever find anywhere else, which I think it part of the appeal of a MTO: getting something otherwise difficult to obtain

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads