• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

superfishy8

Reaction score
another supporter for the hatch grain chukka
i love the idea of the burnished dark oak, but I would prefer a cap toe design

granjamo

Reaction score

actually, I think I'm leaning more towards a burnished dark oak color, as I think it might be more versatile in my wardrobe. I think the EG Beaulieu's above are a MTO.

+1 for a brown austerity brogue in calf.

Preference for a Dainite sole but would go for leather.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love the look of this! Would you guys be interested in doing a burgundy calf makeup with the distinct toe burnishing like this? I've also had a few guys PM me about doing the Austerity Brogue in black shell cordovan.

I would be in for burgundy calf with toe burnishing in the rain last.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would be in for burgundy calf with toe burnishing in the rain last.

Edward Green's Beaulieu comes standard in a burnished burgundy, but EG won't even take special orders in shell cordovan. In fact, I don't know of anyone who offers an austerity brogue in shell cordovan, so I would REALLY like an austerity brogue make-up in ruby shell cordovan--a shoe with minimal decoration that let's the leather do the talking.

I have a pair of monkstraps in Horween's color #6, slightly more red than color #8, and it's one of my favorite shoes. Like most people, I wear my favorites heavily for about a year, or until I get something new, but I've worn my color #6 monkstraps several times a week since I bought them about 4 years ago and I still love them.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edward Green's Beaulieu comes standard in a burnished burgundy, but EG won't even take special orders in shell cordovan. In fact, I don't know of anyone who offers an austerity brogue in shell cordovan, so I would REALLY like an austerity brogue make-up in ruby shell cordovan--a shoe with minimal decoration that let's the leather do the talking.

I have a pair of monkstraps in Horween's color #6, slightly more red than color #8, and it's one of my favorite shoes. Like most people, I wear my favorites heavily for about a year, or until I get something new, but I've worn my color #6 monkstraps several times a week since I bought them about 4 years ago and I still love them.

I'm not a fan of Ruby Shell...I would prefer a rich dark burgundy.

Last edited:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Got a confirmation from Carmina today - we've got 110 units being prepped for delivery in about two weeks. I'll get the full manifest in the next day or two, but from what I can see, there's lots of shell cordovan in there. And at least one of the Python shoes that we have on order (I believe that it's the Cognac Python remake). I imagine that at least 50 of these pairs are MTO project styles. I'll post the update once I have it.

Good discussions going around here. So I think that this is where we stand:

Remakes
1. Navy Calf Alcudia last Adelaide
2. Chocolate Suede / Chocolate Calf Jodphur

I'll put these online this week for Friday's newsletter.

New Ideas
1. 5-eye chukka: I believe that I asked about Hatch grain at Pitti, and Carmina told me that they don't have it available. When you guys see these hatch grain makeups, are they Carmina or a different brand?

2. Austerity Brogue Calf: Let's go forward with the the burnished Burgundy calf. We've done a few burgundy calf styles, and the leather is just phenomenal. The burnishing will lend it some extra attitude as well. Want a medium brown sole on that?

3. Austerity Brogue Shell: You guys know me, I'd make freaking every shoe in Ruby Shell if we can. That color is consistently stunning. Are there a few guys interested in this? We can easily build it out.

Some Suggestions

1. Greeley Boot: We should get our first run of Greeley boots in pretty soon. If you guys are interested in some new concepts for it, we can put some things into work. Maybe two tones: shell and calf, calf and suede, calf and scotch. There's lots of possibilites. We'll do some compositions and mockups on our side too.

I kind of fell in love with this bal boot sample. Could be killer in the Greeley shape:

2. Kudu Antelope Leather. Anyone interested in a tough-ass makeup using this:

i'd be interested in a burgundy calf make-up, or a dark oak make-up of some sort. I love shell cordovan but don't really want the added cost of shell for this particular shoe. also, the last is a big consideration. I don't own any Carmina shoes so have no idea how their lasts fit or what size would work for me. if a group MTO were to go through in the burgundy calf how much would it cost?

Burgundy Calf Austerity Brogue is going to be about $580 with the shoe trees.

Hey Mike,

I've just placed an order for the Ruby Bradbury boots but I was wondering if you were ever able to find out about this?

Thanks

Ah sorry that I missed your last post. We can have MTO project styles shipped direct from Europe, but not stock ones. So, unfortunately no on that.

6A41E83B-1CE1-47D8-894B-4FA0CF02CD31-12179-000006013E43B5C1_zpsef8f2096.jpg

Thought id leave you gents with this from today

Good lord those look great!

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clicked on this thread for the first time in months and I see a burgundy austerity being planned.

Sigh

There goes some money.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking on this burnishing. Can we opt out of the burnishing? Not a deal breaker but may be nice to have the option.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Speaking on this burnishing. Can we opt out of the burnishing? Not a deal breaker but may be nice to have the option.

Unfortunately no - we'd have to do all of them one way or the other. If most guys prefer it to be a straight burgundy calf, then it's no problem to order it that way. I will say that Carmina's burnishing is going to be less obvious and pronounced than the Edward Green shoe. EG is pretty famous for their heavy burnishing, and Carmina tends to finish their shoes much more conservatively.

This would make a sick boot! I'm thinking double dainite, storm welt, on either the Oscar or Soller last.

Oh yeah! We can also use the proper commando sole, they added this into the lineup for Fall.

I really like this pattern a lot. I was also thinking of offering the Anderson Jump boot shape as well:
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0184/4436/products/8123610319_b3649c9a91_b_1024x1024.jpg?7898

I'll check with Carmina on pricing and availability for this leather. If I can lock down some quantity on it, then we can offer a few patterns and give a very realistic delivery date on them.

Concub1ne

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Got a confirmation from Carmina today - we've got 110 units being prepped for delivery in about two weeks. I'll get the full manifest in the next day or two, but from what I can see, there's lots of shell cordovan in there. And at least one of the Python shoes that we have on order (I believe that it's the Cognac Python remake). I imagine that at least 50 of these pairs are MTO project styles. I'll post the update once I have it.

Fingers crossed for the cognac python. Btw, will this first batch be for your US customers, or might there be a few pairs in there for us euros?

Quote:
I've seen these from cleverley and alfred sargent. I seem to recall cleverley leather was a single lot of hides from a sunken ship, so when they're out thats it. AS on the other hand gets theirs the old fashioned way, but I've no idea who the supplier is. In any case it looks like this.

thecool85

Reaction score
Oh yeah! We can also use the proper commando sole, they added this into the lineup for Fall.

I really like this pattern a lot. I was also thinking of offering the Anderson Jump boot shape as well:
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0184/4436/products/8123610319_b3649c9a91_b_1024x1024.jpg?7898

I'll check with Carmina on pricing and availability for this leather. If I can lock down some quantity on it, then we can offer a few patterns and give a very realistic delivery date on them.

I actually like both shapes, so I'd be cool with either one. And I absolutely like the suggestion for a commando sole though. I had forgotten all about that.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And I think when you last mentioned the hatch grain, I started yelling about making a jodhpur or a chelsea in that kind of leather. Some serious déjà vu in this thread.

:fence:

Hey guys!

New Ideas
1. 5-eye chukka: I believe that I asked about Hatch grain at Pitti, and Carmina told me that they don't have it available. When you guys see these hatch grain makeups, are they Carmina or a different brand?

2. Austerity Brogue Calf: Let's go forward with the the burnished Burgundy calf. We've done a few burgundy calf styles, and the leather is just phenomenal. The burnishing will lend it some extra attitude as well. Want a medium brown sole on that?

Some Suggestions

1. Greeley Boot: We should get our first run of Greeley boots in pretty soon. If you guys are interested in some new concepts for it, we can put some things into work. Maybe two tones: shell and calf, calf and suede, calf and scotch. There's lots of possibilites. We'll do some compositions and mockups on our side too.

That photo I keep recycling of hatch grain is a G&G shoe. It's one of their standard MTO options, so it seems like it should be a source-able leather, but I know nothing of these things.

I think a black sole on the burgundy austerity brogue would be a cool contrast, but I suspect I'll be a distinct minority.

I'm not even sure that I would buy it, but I continue to think that a black calf, ruby shell austerity brogue would be extremely cool. As a boot, even more so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads