• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I’m in!

Thank you Dan, you're going to love it!!!

Oh, and a bit unrelated, but like many of you guys, I have elderly parents and always struggle on what gift to get for them. I decided on a digital picture frame...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nixplay-...Full-HD-Display-with-Smart-Speakers/735315369

My mom doesn't use social media and just kind of relies on me to constantly text her pics and videos of our family. Once this frame is connected to Wifi, you can control it remotely with an app. So I'm planning to set it up for her and then regularly send new pics to it. Apparently you can do this setup remotely, but I guess I'll find that out after Christmas.

I settled on this model after doing a bunch of research. There's plus and minus' to all of them, but this seemed to have the best reviews and functionality. Walmart was the cheapest and fastest place to buy if as far as I could find. Hope this helps if you need a last minute idea!!!

Last edited:

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C0B0656C-7A5D-48D5-B099-6FFEF82072F3.jpeg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Absolutely epic holiday pic! Loving those blackwatch trousers!

We just received this GORGEOUS natural Sashiko suit to add to your wardrobe. I think that this is our first finished piece with off-white "Snail" MOP buttons. They're such a phenomenal color with this fabric!!

RTC Natural Sashiko Jacket Main.jpg

RTC Natural Sashiko Detail.jpg

RTC Natural Sashiko Cuff.jpg

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Two items!

1. Eva, do you feel like Epaulet spearheaded the wave of sashiko we’re seeing in premium menswear brands in the US? I feel like Epaulet was about 2-3 years ahead of this craze.

2. The two way patch pocket may be the greatest innovation in menswear history. Why hasn’t everyone stolen this? Literally every time I switch pocket position I think “this is good stuff right here.”

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two items!

1. Eva, do you feel like Epaulet spearheaded the wave of sashiko we’re seeing in premium menswear brands in the US? I feel like Epaulet was about 2-3 years ahead of this craze.

2. The two way patch pocket may be the greatest innovation in menswear history. Why hasn’t everyone stolen this? Literally every time I switch pocket position I think “this is good stuff right here.”

Not Eva, but I think Blue Blue Japan had done some sashiko and patchwork more like boro sashiko for some time (at least a decade+). It was mostly chore coats in indigo and BBJ is a pretty niche brand. They reminded me of kendogi or the blue competition judogi, but with buttons, collars, and patch pockets at the hips.

The first Epaulet Doyles were in indigo if I recall, so they were very similar to what Blue Blue Japan had done. But, then Eva revolutionized the use of sashiko, bringing in multiple colors and different jacket patterns, and by including trousers. Also, Epaulet made sashiko much more accessible too. BBJ charges a lot for their jackets, 3x a Doyle. Maybe they are cheaper in Japan. A Doyle is one of the best bargains in all of menswear. I love mine and if I hadn't already had other jackets the same weight, I would have many more.

Last edited:

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Sashiko blazer in Train to Busan might've been near the tip of the craze? But that was before the US push, I suppose. I never could quite get into the trend, but maybe that's just because I spent a lot of time getting choked unconscious and thrown in my judo days.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Two items!

Not Eva, but I think Blue Blue Japan had done some sashiko and patchwork more like boro sashiko for some time (at least a decade+). It was mostly chore coats in indigo and BBJ is a pretty niche brand. They reminded me of kendogi or the blue competition judogi, but with buttons, collars, and patch pockets at the hips.

The first Epaulet Doyles were in indigo if I recall, so they were very similar to what Blue Blue Japan had done. But, then Eva revolutionized the use of sashiko, bringing in multiple colors and different jacket patterns, and by including trousers. Also, Epaulet made sashiko much more accessible too. BBJ charges a lot for their jackets, 3x a Doyle. Maybe they are cheaper in Japan. A Doyle is one of the best bargains in all of menswear. I love mine and if I hadn't already had other jackets the same weight, I would have many more.

Thanks guys! Yeah I'd agree with Scurvyfreedman on this... we weren't in the first wave of Sashiko brands for off the rack, but I believe that we made it a lot more accessible through both price point and clean designs.

But... in terms of fully MTM dyed Sashiko garments, I'm pretty sure that we're not only the first, but also possibly the only people on Earth doing that. We've delivered about a dozen RTC Sashiko suits so far, and they're freaking incredible. Really among the best things that we've ever done. Cotton tailoring is always more of a Spring product than a Fall one, so I'm definitely anticipating doing a lot more in the season to come.

And thanks for the pocket compliment! Yeah I feel that it makes a huge difference too. When you run stores and see thousands of guys try on jackets, then you quickly learn that most men will put on a coat and immediately search for where to keep their hands. I thought that giving the customer two options for that would make the Doyle a lot more comfortable and versatile for them.

Oh and speaking about Sashiko garments and such, here's our latest video of new custom pieces... including that stunning Natural Suit!

Todd V

Reaction score
Speaking of unfinished horsehide, to those that have them, what do they look like after a few years?

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks brand new! How old/how much wear?
[/QUOTE]

I received it in August of 2018. It has received light wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads