• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a great jacket, and that price is insane. I paid full price for it and would do so again. Has gotten plenty of wear!

Would you say it's a fall/winter weight jacket as the website states? I live in California so would prefer something I can wear year round. Thx.

oisin

Reaction score
very very tempted on that desmond--I do need a sport coat, but final sale on a sport coat is worrisome (especially being 6'5"--it might end up being really young on me). also, what are people's feelings about 3 button coats? I used to wear 3 button suits but have gone more in the 2 button direction recently. hrmm.... the caine is also calling my name, but if it doesn't fit, that's $650 in store credit I'd have to blow through (not that that would be hard to do, just not the best idea!). I guess there's always the buy/sell forum.

Got my pine (was calling them olive) trousers on today. Also really nice. I like the feel and color cast--they are grey one moment and green the next. definitely snazzy, and not too thick.

enigma77

Reaction score

Would you say it's a fall/winter weight jacket as the website states? I live in California so would prefer something I can wear year round. Thx.

I wear it year round. I'm actually in California right now and wore it the other weekend. (I think they just released it this past fall -- that's when I got it.)

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so i'm realizing why this thread is always on the front page and why my bank account is now in immediate jeopardy...i just tried on the worsted pine trousers and they are absolutely phenomenal! :nodding: i love the fit and the wool is really light. i was originally worried about them being too thick for LA weather but i don't think it'll be a problem at all.

i also snagged that blue & white gingham. i've been eyeing it for a while and was going to wait for my next paycheck but then i saw this on valetmag.com and got scared of my size being sold out. this is the beginning of an addiction... :confused:

The blue and white gingham is nice. I held off for a bit because of the cutaway color but now that I have it, I really like it.

very very tempted on that desmond--I do need a sport coat, but final sale on a sport coat is worrisome (especially being 6'5"--it might end up being really young on me). also, what are people's feelings about 3 button coats? I used to wear 3 button suits but have gone more in the 2 button direction recently. hrmm.... the caine is also calling my name, but if it doesn't fit, that's $650 in store credit I'd have to blow through (not that that would be hard to do, just not the best idea!). I guess there's always the buy/sell forum.

Got my pine (was calling them olive) trousers on today. Also really nice. I like the feel and color cast--they are grey one moment and green the next. definitely snazzy, and not too thick.

Just got my pine trousers a couple of days ago. Won't be able to have them altered until next week sometime but so very glad I picked them up.

I really need to start posting some fit pics...it's just between a new job, travel, life etc. etc. haven't carved out the time to snap the photos.
KG and Stanvan have set the bar quite high also...

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone has a size 36 in either the worsted pine or tangerine/orange linen for sale, please PM me. I missed on both.

Also, how did I miss the Desmond in 42??? Again, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Last edited:

oisin

Reaction score

Sounds like a bunch of us have the pine trousers - just got mine today! It's a pretty new color for me - any ideas or suggestions on what to pair with them?
anything? i dunno, seems pretty versatile. wore mine today with a blue striped OCBD. Tan desert boots dressed it down, coulda put on a pair of brown wingtips to dress it up a bit more. I think they'll look pretty sick with my oxblood docs. For shirts, blue, cream, grey, white, reds, maybe certain browns or greens even, all seem like it would work.

Last edited:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
is the desmond sportcoat being discontinued? wish there was a 36 for sale
frown.gif

From what I've been told, it'll be sticking around in one form or another. It's a really cool shape and design that's different from the Southwick jackets in a few really cool ways. However, that said, the difference in construction between the Desmond and the Weller is noticeable with lighter-weight fabrics. The half-canvassing on the Weller really helps the jacket keep its shape around the lapels when not buttoned. The Desmond lacks this. With heavier fabrics, this is much less of an issue.

I think Mike posted earlier in the thread that he was toying with the idea of making the Desmond into more of an outerwear piece. Last I heard he's definitely planning on doing something with it -- not discontinuing it. As to what that is, it didn't sound like he'd yet made a decision (or just wasn't going to reveal it yet
wink.gif
).

Of course, I said he ought to do it in the tan moleskin. But I am a crazy person who wears plaid pants in July.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads