• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gingahbman

Reaction score

The Perfect Pocket Knife for Walt Trousers

Well, this is a little off-topic, but I was sharpening this item earlier today and I realized how much I freaking like it. Given how well it fits with our trousers, I figured that I'd put together some pictures and a recommendation.
I love pocket knives. I may own over 20 of them. I picked this one up about six months ago, and it quickly became my favorite. The brand is called "Mcusta," and it's made in Japan.

As you guys can see, we get a LOT of product here at Epaulet. There's always plenty of boxes to open, so I typically carry a small knife with me every day to work. But this has been the first one that feels comfortable to really carry all of the time. It fits perfectly into the small interior coin pocket that's built into every Walt & Rudy trouser, and it's an ideal balance of being heavy enough to be substantial while you use it but light enough that it's easy to forget that you're carrying it. They make this model in a ton of different styles and materials, but this one is my favorite - the cool damascus steel blade and the etched bamboo handle. The price on this was really fair.
I'd recommend this piece to both veteran and virgin pocket knife owners alike. It's tiny, so you won't be using it for any Crocodile Dundee-ish self defense scenarios, but it's incredibly useful in all sorts of daily cutting tasks. If you've never carried a small knife on you, you'll be surprised how much often it comes in handy.
These are generally available online, but I bought mine from a US-based seller on Ebay. If you search for Mcusta knives on there, you can find quite a bit, and you should be all good if you buy it from a seller with decent feedback.

Bit of a resurrection here, but I am also a fan of pocket knives. I was wondering if you knew what the current carrying laws are in NYC? Someone informed me that it's now technically illegal to have any LOCKING BLADE, which I find beyond absurd if true. Any validity in this claim?

BTW, beautiful Mcusta. Been eying a Yoroi myself.

Costa

Reaction score
need some decision making help....probably going to buy at least 2 pairs, maaaaaaaaybe 3, but I don't think I can justify all 4 at the moment:
Grape Flannel
Wool/Cashmere Medium Grey
Charcoal POW
Wool/Silk Twill
I'm torn on all of these....I really need some versatile staples, so I'm kinda leaning towards the wool/cash medium grey. Maybe the wool/silk twill, although I'm having a tough time imagining what the finished trouser will look like. Any super strong opinions on any of these? Seems like I can't really go wrong no matter which ones I get. I just looked in my closet to see which might work the best with what I currently have, and I realized that I don't own one pair non-Epaulet odd trousers anymore
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Interested in the input here as well. I have the Grape Flannel on order but I know its more of a winter pant. I'm interested in something of a 3 season (fall, winter, spring) pants, and wondering how the wool/silk blend fit into that spectrum. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm on the same path as far as pants and shoes, its becoming VERY Epaulet-heavy. Can't be happier with their products and the input from Adele and Mike.

Simplicio

Reaction score

need some decision making help....probably going to buy at least 2 pairs, maaaaaaaaybe 3, but I don't think I can justify all 4 at the moment:
Grape Flannel
Wool/Cashmere Medium Grey
Charcoal POW
Wool/Silk Twill
I'm torn on all of these....I really need some versatile staples, so I'm kinda leaning towards the wool/cash medium grey. Maybe the wool/silk twill, although I'm having a tough time imagining what the finished trouser will look like. Any super strong opinions on any of these? Seems like I can't really go wrong no matter which ones I get. I just looked in my closet to see which might work the best with what I currently have, and I realized that I don't own one pair non-Epaulet odd trousers anymore :slayer:

I also need to make some decisions. Medium grey tones are probably the most versatile. I'm looking at the wool/silk as well, but I can't quite decide. I haven't received my grape flannels yet, but I suspect that they are actually fairly easy to match. I like the look of the charcoal POW, but I find charcoal trousers often turn out to be more difficult to wear than you think they'll be. They can work with many shirts, but then adding a SC makes it more difficult. Depends what you need. Sorry, this doesn't really help.

I'm on the same path as far as pants and shoes, its becoming VERY Epaulet-heavy. Can't be happier with their products and the input from Adele and Mike. 

An Epaulet-heavy wardrobe helps ensure coherence.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

Unfortunately, or fortunately for my budget, I didn't see a 44, so not an option for me. The baby camel hair remains on the throne.

IIRC size 44 isn't stocked anymore, except via special order. :(

Mike, can you consider at least stocking one size 44 per run of Southwicks to at least give us 44 guys a shot?

Joshua Lee

Reaction score
I hope Epaulet goes up one more size soon! I'm sitting here drooling at those magnificent trousers and jackets, size 46 and 38 please :D.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bit of a resurrection here, but I am also a fan of pocket knives. I was wondering if you knew what the current carrying laws are in NYC? Someone informed me that it's now technically illegal to have any LOCKING BLADE, which I find beyond absurd if true. Any validity in this claim?
BTW, beautiful Mcusta. Been eying a Yoroi myself.

Dude, we won't be able to buy large sodas at bodegas after March of next year, you think knives would be ok? LOL

Anyway, to BG and the guys with the pant versatility questions..heres my take from my experiences with fabrics. I have the Grape Flannel, they're heavy. Very much a winter pant. The color is so damn cool though, and although is "grape" it looks mostly grey unless your in certain light (but take that witha grain of salt, I'm colorblind). The POW is a muted one, and would most likely appear solid at any distance save up close. The wool/cashmere will most likely wear faster, but the trade off is that it will be uber soft. Just the general way cashmere works. The wool silk is an interesting fabric and will probably have a "restrained stretch" to it, something that I find most materials made with silk do. Its cool, and different. I'd probably put that in the lighter realm, where the grape would be at the heavy end.

Last edited:

Costa

Reaction score
I hope Epaulet goes up one more size soon! I'm sitting here drooling at those magnificent trousers and jackets, size 46 and 38 please :D.

I'd check with either the long time customers of Epaulet (NYR has become a great source of guidance) or e-mail Mike and Adele. I know the pants can be taken in or out a few inches.

Dude, we won't be able to buy large sodas at bodegas after March of next year, you think knives would be ok? LOL
Anyway, to BG and the guys with the pant versatility questions..heres my take from my experiences with fabrics. I have the Grape Flannel, they're heavy. Very much a winter pant. The color is so damn cool though, and although is "grape" it looks mostly grey unless your in certain light (but take that witha grain of salt, I'm colorblind). The POW is a muted one, and would most likely appear solid at any distance save up close. The wool/cashmere will most likely wear faster, but the trade off is that it will be uber soft. Just the general way cashmere works. The wool silk is an interesting fabric and will probably have a "restrained stretch" to it, something that I find most materials made with silk do. Its cool, and different. I'd probably put that in the lighter realm, where the grape would be at the heavy end.
Great input, thanks! I have the Grape Flannel on order, and trying to figure out my next trouser move.

By the way, those Anderson Jumpers were everything you said and more. My new (for now) favorite shoe/boot. Thanks again!

Todd V

Reaction score

By the way, those Anderson Jumpers were everything you said and more. My new (for now) favorite shoe/boot. Thanks again!

The Anderson Jumpers look amazing (is it is amazingly?) Can any of the Carmina line be special ordered in smaller sizes? Or can upcoming makeups be preordered in smaller sizes? I guess that would involve divulging the make ups ahead of time!

I'm looking for ~7.5D US or 6.5UK...

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There should be a chance to preorder when they restock. Or keep an eye on the Carmina x Epaulet thread for special makeups. You can definitely get your size then.

Also, I think they just put a reorder for the Anderson in. Can't hurt to see if you can still get in for your size. Give them a call.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got back from Smith St, where I blew a summer work check. Oh my gog. I'm just gonna say there's a some awesomeness on the shelves, and it rhymes with Harmina.

Happy Hanukkah for all the non-Gentiles out there.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got back from Smith St, where I blew a summer work check. Oh my gog. I'm just gonna say there's a some awesomeness on the shelves, and it rhymes with Harmina.
Happy Hanukkah for all the non-Gentiles out there.

What kind of job do you do when school's out, Rob? I saw a teacher at the local mall and I was chatting with her. Apparently the new ones are hired on a yearly basis, pretty scary thought.

I can't wait to see the new Harmonecas!

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just popped in as well. They are spectacular - so unexpected to see them chillin' on the shelf like that.

Folks will be delighted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads