• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Thought elephant as well. Didn't expect it to be hippo. Is it just natural hippo or suede or what? And I wonder if its tanned?

It's tan hippo suede. They've been a long time in the making (almost a year)! Lorenzo took care of all the CITES details as well, which is part of the reason.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm proposing another run of button boots - black w/ black peccary. For everyone (like me) that missed out on the first one and wasn't in on the Ostrich boots.

Model: EB Button Boot
Last: 74945
Upper: Black calf
Shaft: Black peccary
Sole: Single leather or leather with topy - would like to keep it sleeker than dainite
No pull tabs
Punched captoe, sans medallion, simple stitch (no punch) separating upper and shaft.

Any takers?

Any other interested parties or is this a no go?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's tan hippo suede. They've been a long time in the making (almost a year)! Lorenzo took care of all the CITES details as well, which is part of the reason.
Sand blasted hippo?. Did you go straight to EB?. TIA

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sand blasted hippo?. Did you go straight to EB?. TIA

Nope all the hippo leather details and CITES certificates were handled by Lorenzo at Solegarb. I think he actually flew it over to Italy himself. I also have a different pair in black hippo suede that'll hopefully done in a couple weeks.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That black hippo also looks great also. What model? I also was contemplating hippo on 946 but thought it may be too chiseled. Your pics prove otherwise

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope all the hippo leather details and CITES certificates were handled by Lorenzo at Solegarb. I think he actually flew it over to Italy himself. I also have a different pair in black hippo suede that'll hopefully done in a couple weeks.
Ok. So you mean suede colour. Many members here call suede croc to the way the leather is treated; original croc but with a sand blasted treatment. Just gorgeus booties. Thanks.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. So you mean suede colour. Many members here call suede croc to the way the leather is treated; original croc but with a sand blasted treatment. Just gorgeus booties. Thanks.

No they're fuzzy like a suede leather. I was referring to the texture.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's actually called nubuck. These are hides that are used grain side out with the grain side sand blasted and buffed to raise a nap.
Hippo is generally only available as a nubuck due to extensive scarring on the hides.
Suede, nowadays, is a fairly loose term to describe anything with a nap. It can be a split suede, reverse calf (flesh side out), or a nubuck.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

It's actually called nubuck. These are hides that are used grain side out with the grain side sand blasted and buffed to raise a nap.
Hippo is generally only available as a nubuck due to extensive scarring on the hides.
Suede, nowadays, is a fairly loose term to describe anything with a nap. It can be a split suede, reverse calf (flesh side out), or a nubuck.

I'd probably call the hippopotamus skins I've seen nubuck but that might be a layman's term, I'm not sure if there's a more suited technical name for it. The hides are very scarred, and even when sand blasted, the lion's share of the skins are not suitable for crafting. As Massimo Bonafé said "Hippos must live a very hard life". I love the texture of it though, no doubt it is unique. Always a hassle with CITES, but it's good that there's a system in place to protect certain species! But from my perspective hippos feel more ok than shark or elephant. Could not bring myself to wear any of these.

Last edited:

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably call the hippopotamus skins I've seen nubuck but that might be a layman's term, I'm not sure if there's a more suited technical name for it. The hides are very scarred, and even when sand blasted, the lion's share of the skins are not suitable for crafting. As Massimo Bonafé said "Hippos must live a very hard life". I love the texture of it though, no doubt it is unique. Always a hassle with CITES, but it's good that there's a system in place to protect certain species! But from my perspective hippos feel more ok than shark or elephant. Could not bring myself to wear any of these.

I couldn't ever bring myself to wear Elephant, but Hippos are dicks. :p Although I'd never wear any exotic if it wasn't CITES certified.

SvelteDave

Reaction score
Always a hassle with CITES, but it's good that there's a system in place to protect certain species! But from my perspective hippos feel more ok than shark or elephant. Could not bring myself to wear any of these.

I never really got peoples aversion to exotic leathers, especially since it is very selective - I mean no one complains about croc skin or sting ray or peccary. I can understand qualms if it wasnt CITES verified but as it id don't really see the problem. All herds need to be culled, and its just part of life. Perhaps its because my family always owned land and have had dealings with this since I was young but it kind of seems to me that there isn't really much difference between a cow hide or a hippo hide provided it is CITES verified.
Although there is something I cannot abide and find indefensible and that is the killing of children for hides - like canadians and their baby seal boots - that is just sick.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I never really got peoples aversion to exotic leathers, especially since it is very selective - I mean no one complains about croc skin or sting ray or peccary. I can understand qualms if it wasnt CITES verified but as it id don't really see the problem. All herds need to be culled, and its just part of life. Perhaps its because my family always owned land and have had dealings with this since I was young but it kind of seems to me that there isn't really much difference between a cow hide or a hippo hide provided it is CITES verified.
Although there is something I cannot abide and find indefensible and that is the killing of children for hides - like canadians and their baby seal boots - that is just sick.

Elephants just feels too intelligent for me to "wear". Maybe it's not rational. I used to love sharks as a kid, spent hours and hours watching documentaries about them. Just couldn't wear my old friends! Again, not rational. And also there's a lot of controversy about shark hunting, so it's also a PC decision I guess.

You wear calf though right? Babies. But I agree that the baby seal hunting looks extremely brutal and disgusting, would not wear this. Grown seal though is a different matter. As long as they are CITES certified I personally have no issues with seals. But I think seal is completely banned in the US, CITES or not. Might be wrong though. Seal has a very nice texture to it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Elephants just feels too intelligent for me to "wear". Maybe it's not rational. I used to love sharks as a kid, spent hours and hours watching documentaries about them. Just couldn't wear my old friends! Again, not rational. And also there's a lot of controversy about shark hunting, so it's also a PC decision I guess.
You wear calf though right? Babies. But I agree that the baby seal hunting looks extremely brutal and disgusting, would not wear this. Grown seal though is a different matter. As long as they are CITES certified I personally have no issues with seals. But I think seal is completely banned in the US, CITES or not. Might be wrong though. Seal has a very nice texture to it

We may be able to avoid these issues altogether in the future. Some scientists have found a way to grow leather.

http://www.modernmeadow.com/

http://www.businessinsider.com/modern-meadow-lab-grown-leather-2016-6

Last edited:

Cuebert

Reaction score
As far as the discussion regarding exotic skins goes:

I would never judge anyone based on what he wears. What I don't unterstand though is how certain makers offer leathers from species that are facing extinction, no matter if CITES certified or not.

How is this possible? How can hides from animals that are facing extinction like Giraffes and Elephants be offered by reputable makers? - Anyone that could shed some light on this?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
questionsgems