• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments SS 17

tobiasfunke

Reaction score

If you figure out a better way to lace them, please share @tobiasfunke ! Mine are still laced the way they arrived—I couldn't think of a better way to do it. But I think being able to secure them better would make them more comfortable.
I'm guessing they all come like this:
LL
Maybe something like this would work better:
LL
Edit: Just tried the lacing in the second photo and it works much better.

Last edited:

zunker

Reaction score
Just had to return my DMs (suede ones). Come up a bit big, hopefully a full size down won't be too much but we'll see.

Cool shoes though, nothing wrong with the suede to my eye.

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
Just had to return my DMs (suede ones). Come up a bit big, hopefully a full size down won't be too much but we'll see.

Cool shoes though, nothing wrong with the suede to my eye.

Interesting... I can see someone opting to size up, but not down—perhaps the suede are more roomy? How did you size yours (e.g. vs Brannock)?

Last edited:

djan

Reaction score
I have both navy and milkshake coming within a week. Hoping they'll fit. Didn't even think about sizing down.

zunker

Reaction score
Interesting... I can see someone opting to size up, but not down—perhaps the suede are more roomy? How did you size yours (e.g. vs Brannock)?
To be fair I am tricky with shoes and often go down a size or a half if shoes are broad, which these kind of are. As soon as I got them out of the box these looked big to me.

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
Just got my EG x DM in Navy UK 9 today. Confirming TTS.

I'm a 10D heel to toe on the Brannock (9.75D left, 10D right). The right foot feels slightly snug in the toe box compared to the left, but not uncomfortably so, and I feel like that will improve as they break in. If you're a half size, you may want to also try on the next size up if possible since they're only available in whole sizes.

As @ChetB pointed out, the half-ghillie lacing system does make it difficult to tie them securely—I'll have to play around with this more. There is also a strong plasticky odor out of the box, so I can't imagine the leather is super high quality (or maybe I'm smelling the rubber sole). That said, the styling is on point and the navy looks really nice in person. Looking forward to my black and green pairs coming later this week.

For reference:

Brannock: 10D
Alden Barrie: 9.5D
Vans Authentic Slip-on: 10
EG x Vans Slip-on: 9.5

As @Lorcan7 pointed out, some half sizes are available. For peace of mind, I ordered a 9.5 UK to see if that alleviates some of the toe box snugness on the right foot without being gigantic on the left.

These are my first Docs, and from what I'm reading, they don't stretch much and can be difficult to break in. So, I'd rather err on slightly too big than too small. I'll report back later this week.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2017-menswear/engineered-garments/slideshow/collection

For those interested in fall footwear collabos, based on the lookbook pics we can guarantee:

Dr. Martens: Monkey (Church) Boot in asymmetrical suede/leather (toe area is suede on one boot, leather in the rear and reverse for the other shoe). Black confirmed. Will probably retail ~$279

Danner: Hiking boot with crazy lacing. Looks like Mountain light model but instead of lacing that is straight up the lacebox, its zigzagged. Comes in black and wheat. Will probably run around $380-$450

Timberland: Three hole moc in suede with what I believe are asymmetrical mismatched color panels. I only saw indigo suede and golden nubuck, possibly more. Will probably retail between $120-200. Timberland pricing varies a lot depending on collabs so my guess is as good as yours.

Hersey: Custom hiker shoe, almost looks like a clarks oxford or something in mismatch asymmetrical indigo suede leather. May not be Hersey as I have little familiarity with their models. Will retail ~$300 based on hiker model

Hersey: Custom runner shoe in suede/textile. Very high sole and chunky fit, seems to be similar to a new balance with more heft. Retail ~$245 based on similar models from Hersey

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: EG x DMs they're quite an elongated last IMO. More so than regular Docs. I'm a UK9 but with wide toes / duck feet and gambled on a 9.5 but they were really long (~33cm outsole?). Little clownish on me. The leather on the milkshake suede version seemed fairly forgiving so I'd stick TTS even if you have wider toes with them. YMMV of course.

Probably gonna get some ghillie lace Mckinlays instead as I think they might be more what I want (liked them when I went to Nepenthes Tokyo, regret not picking them up then). The crazy lace Danners look great too so I may be in for those when the time comes.

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
Re: EG x DMs they're quite an elongated last IMO. More so than regular Docs. I'm a UK9 but with wide toes / duck feet and gambled on a 9.5 but they were really long (~33cm outsole?). Little clownish on me. The leather on the milkshake suede version seemed fairly forgiving so I'd stick TTS even if you have wider toes with them. YMMV of course.

Probably gonna get some ghillie lace Mckinlays instead as I think they might be more what I want (liked them when I went to Nepenthes Tokyo, regret not picking them up then). The crazy lace Danners look great too so I may be in for those when the time comes.

When sizing shoes, my main concern is where the ball of my foot sits. With a 9.5 was it sitting in the widest part of the shoe, or behind it?

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When sizing shoes, my main concern is where the ball of my foot sits. With a 9.5 was it sitting in the widest part of the shoe, or behind it?

Yeah for sure, that's more critical than outsole length. It was definitely a little behind but not much. I've sized up on other shoes before successfully without them coming out quite this long, just felt different from what I'm used to. There's aesthetic preference too. I'm not into Viberg's 2030 last either which is a little more elongated than some workboot styles, plenty of people love em though.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the rundown, @Fycus

Really torn on my pair of EG docs. Got black in my usual size, 10uk/11us and they seem to fit well. They're just really similar to my Solovair oxfords and I don't know if I need another pair of black bouncing sole shoes. The EGs are cooler for sure, but don't seem significantly nicer--not sure what else I expected it's not like they were $500

Beedub

Reaction score

They had a FW16 buy too...didn't even realize it until their sale when most of it was gone.

Went in with pretty good reductions right from the off at sale time too, still kicking myself for not grabbing the navy field jacket at 50% off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics