• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments FW 09

Freddyfisk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by himself
i am not a fan of double breasted jackets at all, but i gotta say the newport jacket looks really good... also, is that an mkii sea fighter with zulu band?
It´s a great jacket, one of the best pieces fronm A/W if you ask me. It's actually my fathers old Seiko 6105 (Old Swedish Military Issue) on a zulu!

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Freddyfisk
My size is small!
And what's your height/weight? regular suit size? One more question on the bedford vs baker, any thoughts on pros and cons? I like the kick vents/flaps on the baker but also like the more casual 4 pocket and neck strap look on the bedford, but I guess I'm more concerned of potential restriction of movement, particularly in the shoulders/biceps on the baker, so wondering if the bedford would be my better bet, especially since I plan to layer with them, I looking to get either one in grey or brown wool, I dont have access to them irl, so trying to gauge the best fit for me out of those 2 jackets before I kop online....... Jackets fit great btw

Freddyfisk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by canstyleace
And what's your height/weight? regular suit size? One more question on the bedford vs baker, any thoughts on pros and cons? I like the kick vents/flaps on the baker but also like the more casual 4 pocket and neck strap look on the bedford, but I guess I'm more concerned of potential restriction of movement, particularly in the shoulders/biceps on the baker, so wondering if the bedford would be my better bet, especially since I plan to layer with them, I looking to get either one in grey or brown wool, I dont have access to them irl, so trying to gauge the best fit for me out of those 2 jackets before I kop online....... Jackets fit great btw
I'm 178cm and my weight is 74kg, in every american brand, except maybe BOO i wear S. In european brands i tend to be a medium. In suits sz 46 or 48. Baker vs. Bedford my opinion; Both are good jackets, the baker is very fitted over the shoulders and in the arms. It makes layering almost impossible except for maybe the use of a vest. The Baker is also really varm, it would be hard to wear inside. And it is a "bit itchy". Bedford is a more relaxed looking jacket, you can wear it with almost anything, even a tee, and it would look good. Better layering options and, i kind of like the four pockets. The Navy wool is not itchy/sticky. I would say Bedford is my favourite among the two.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Thanks, really appreciate the input.....

So, if I'm about 170 and 58, wear a 46/36 suit sometimes a 44/34, would you say XS would be better than S for me, on both models? or is the fitting difference between then enough to say maybe XS in bedford and S in baker?

Also, when you say the baker is "really warm", could you be a little more specific? like where are you located and what's the usual fall/winter temps in your area like....... I'm in Canada btw, so, you know, it could be "really warm" for like SoCal F/W weather but not really doing much up here on a nice and clear winter morning in downtown toronto windchill weather ;-)

Thanks again......

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
USN shirt jackets in cotton

035.jpg

045.jpg

072.jpg

Cardigans... with large polka dots.
plain.gif

087.jpg

089.jpg

Freddyfisk

Reaction score
^^^ Thanks, really appreciate the input..... So, if I'm about 170 and 58, wear a 46/36 suit sometimes a 44/34, would you say XS would be better than S for me, on both models? or is the fitting difference between then enough to say maybe XS in bedford and S in baker? Also, when you say the baker is "really warm", could you be a little more specific? like where are you located and what's the usual fall/winter temps in your area like....... I'm in Canada btw, so, you know, it could be "really warm" for like SoCal F/W weather but not really doing much up here on a nice and clear winter morning in downtown toronto windchill weather ;-) Thanks again......
I would say XS in Bedford and S in Baker, if you go with S in the Baker you could probably manage some layering also. I'm in Sweden so i guess our weather is about the same. When i say warm i mean for indoor use. I have worn the bedford to work and that was ok, not to warm. The arm lenghts were a bit diffrent as well, the Bedford was quite long, had to adjust about an inch. The baker was good as it was. The bedfords arms are much moore roomy, wheres the bakers arms are almost like a shirt.

JO3B

Reaction score
i dunno. i tried on the S in the baker and i'm typically an XS in EG.

I'd def go for an XS in both.

foxnwolf

Reaction score
tried on the new andover jackets this season. i love this brands, but i seem to be inbetween sizes.

nothing really fits right..

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foxnwolf
tried on the new andover jackets this season. i love this brands, but i seem to be inbetween sizes.

nothing really fits right..

That's where a tailor comes into play. As long as it fits within reason, a tailor should be able to make some adjustments for you.

Woofers

Reaction score
it seems criminal not to mention - Yoox has the blue Fireman's jacket in S, M and L. I'm assuming that they are from F/W 08...

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Freddyfisk
I would say XS in Bedford and S in Baker, if you go with S in the Baker you could probably manage some layering also. I'm in Sweden so i guess our weather is about the same. When i say warm i mean for indoor use. I have worn the bedford to work and that was ok, not to warm.
The arm lenghts were a bit diffrent as well, the Bedford was quite long, had to adjust about an inch. The baker was good as it was. The bedfords arms are much moore roomy, wheres the bakers arms are almost like a shirt.

Thanks again man, all that info is really helping me out......

Would you mind chiming in on the bedford vs andover?
I know the andover has a more formal look to it whereas the bedford has already been stated as a more casual look, now just wondering fit-wise where it stands.....

My conclusions have led me to this so far:

Look (from more formal to more casual):
Andover > Baker > Bedford

Fit (from fitted to regular):
Baker > Bedford - missing andover here

I'm looking for the most versatile wool jacket/coat out of what EG's FW stuff has to offer, something that will look good layered with a LS thermal crewneck, BD shirt, wool vest, scarf and wool slacks,,,, but would also want it to look good in dark jeans layered with LS thermal turtleneck and a sweater, the bedford almost has me convinced just hopped it had a vent somewhere in the back, never owned a SC or suit jacket with no vent(s), so just have to get over it I guess ;-)

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, I don't really think the andover as more formal than the others. I'd say that they're all pretty casual.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I would agree to a point, but I think it's more the fit and the pockets that make this true:
Look (from more formal to more casual): Andover > Baker > Bedford

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics