• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Depends on the leather & last, but generally speaking the Tassel loafer will be more formal.

For instance, I'd consider that Piccadilly in cordovan you posted more informal than the tassel loafer posted, but it would be more formal than a brown suede tassel loafer. Cordovan or a suede are generally more casual.

As soon as you begin introducing chiseled slim lasts with barely visible welts, the formality of either can change. Someone mentioned the Alden tassel loafer. That would be a good example of a loafer that is damn versatile if you kept it matte and in cordovan. That Alden last is more robust and therefore looks heavier, especially when combined with a visibly protruding welt.

So here is the EG Belgravia
View attachment 1886289

Versus the Alden Tassel in Cordovan
View attachment 1886291

All this tassel-loafer talk got me feeling FOMO...but I could not justify EG pricing to "experiment" with the style...so I found Tricker's Elton in dark brown calf on sale on their website for 208 pounds (North American pricing) and pulled the trigger. Now crossing fingers for a good fit...we shall see!

Trickers Elton.jpg

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this tassel-loafer talk got me feeling FOMO...but I could not justify EG pricing to "experiment" with the style...so I found Tricker's Elton in dark brown calf on sale on their website for 208 pounds (North American pricing) and pulled the trigger. Now crossing fingers for a good fit...we shall see!

The last thing you want to do is experiment, regardless of price (although if it were really cheap I guess you could) with loafers. They are hard as heck to get correct in terms of fitting. These Eltons are very Aldenish which should allow you to wear them on the casual side. Hope they fit!! 🤞

BlueSteel

Reaction score
The last thing you want to do is experiment, regardless of price (although if it were really cheap I guess you could) with loafers. They are hard as heck to get correct in terms of fitting. These Eltons are very Aldenish which should allow you to wear them on the casual side. Hope they fit!! 🤞

I agree with you...I do have worries - especially because these are loafers.

I buy a lot of shoes, and most of them I buy online because where I live is a wasteland for quality GYW or handwelted shoes. I've had pretty good luck with buying that way...but then again it is easier to adjust when a shoe has laces or monkstraps and I don't mind experimenting with sock thickness (a much overlooked simple tool that can easily change fit by 1/2 size).

But these worry me a bit more because I do agree that loafer fit is tougher to nail...and I have wide feet...so getting all the dimensions to line up with a loafer is extra-tough for me!!!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you...I do have worries - especially because these are loafers.

I buy a lot of shoes, and most of them I buy online because where I live is a wasteland for quality GYW or handwelted shoes. I've had pretty good luck with buying that way...but then again it is easier to adjust when a shoe has laces or monkstraps and I don't mind experimenting with sock thickness (a much overlooked simple tool that can easily change fit by 1/2 size).

But these worry me a bit more because I do agree that loafer fit is tougher to nail...and I have wide feet...so getting all the dimensions to line up with a loafer is extra-tough for me!!!

If any style requires an in-store try on, it would be the loafer. There isn't any means of manipulating the shoe to stay on (if too big) or adjusting the instep (if too tight like you can with a Derby).

I do not own one single EG shoe that is a loafer, and that is only due to fitting issues. CJ, for some reason, all their loafer lasts fit me well. They also fit many of the folks here which is why many turn to CJ over EG to fulfill loafer needs. What can you do 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I've never owned a Tricker's loafer but if their derbies are anything to go by, which I do have experience with, you should have leeway. Since you said you have wide feet, a company that leans on the wider side should, in theory, work. Since you can't try them on, as you mentioned, hopefully that forgiving last works in your favor..... just not too forgiving 🤞🏻🙏🏻.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
If any style requires an in-store try on, it would be the loafer.

Yes - and given my situation with a lack of local purveyors, this likely explains why I have 5 pairs of GYW/handwelted monkstrap shoes (which I do love...and got good fits gambling on online orders), compared to no GYW/handwelted loafers...until this Trickers order.

I have been wearing loafers for many years, but mostly until now bought pretty affordable/disposable suede drivers, boat shoes, and the like. And I still have some "designer" loafers bought many years ago (like a pair of Gucci horsebit, and a couple Bruno Magli) that I did get to try on first and buy locally.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - and given my situation with a lack of local purveyors, this likely explains why I have 5 pairs of GYW/handwelted monkstrap shoes (which I do love...and got good fits gambling on online orders), compared to no GYW/handwelted loafers...until this Trickers order.

I have been wearing loafers for many years, but mostly until now bought pretty affordable/disposable suede drivers, boat shoes, and the like. And I still have some "designer" loafers bought many years ago (like a pair of Gucci horsebit, and a couple Bruno Magli) that I did get to try on first and buy locally.

Where is this wasteland that you speak of?

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Where is this wasteland that you speak of?

Canada...whole country is bad, but especially here on the West Coast.

In the past, I never really considered buying loafers while on vacation, but now that I'm thinking about it I should take the time to try on some pairs when I'm travelling for leisure to Europe or the US next.

Pushedboar

Reaction score
I just got a notification from EG about ‘last day of private sale with further reductions’ - decided to give it a look in, and was amazed to see they had actually increased the price on certain styles! The Canterbury for example is being quoted for about £150 more now. Maybe they got the pricing wrong the first time? I do not know, but it is pretty unusual to see the prices being quoted up as time goes on in a sale. Happily prices are down about £50 in some others. Just an FYI I’m case anyone was considering a purchase.

papado

Reaction score
I just got a notification from EG about ‘last day of private sale with further reductions’ - decided to give it a look in, and was amazed to see they had actually increased the price on certain styles! The Canterbury for example is being quoted for about £150 more now. Maybe they got the pricing wrong the first time? I do not know, but it is pretty unusual to see the prices being quoted up as time goes on in a sale. Happily prices are down about £50 in some others. Just an FYI I’m case anyone was considering a purchase.

Did they even reduce the prices on anything? I find it comical to mention further reductions and maybe do one or two models lol.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm never too excited to wear the mink Piccadillies, probably because they're such a safe choice. But every time I put them on I appreciate that quiet quality and versatility that just fits with any outfit.

They're a bit beaten up here but I think that look works when worn with jeans on a weekend stroll.

IMG_0710.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg

IMG_0712.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics