• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

PGS

Reaction score

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was a particularly disturbing example, but such juxtapositions seem to have been catching on more and more lately. And I think women have been down that road for much longer. On a more general level I know Simon Crompton, amongst others, often advocates upping the formality in some way, although not even close to something like that of course. More like carefully adding a little smartness to everyday clothing, such as pairing jeans with casual loafers (i.e. not Picadillys) rather than sneakers. This can certainly work, and work well, when done right.

I really like the information that Simon provides, and his reasonings behind style choices.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with what he attempts to do. Which is also why I have no issues with using black tassels the way @te0o wore them the other day.

My issue more lies in a pair of shoes (could be anything really) that draws the inital attention to one particular spot of a person's body, thereby minimizing the focus off of the face.

That said, I also personally find black tassels to be more on the formal side and would not use them informally, unless I could make said loafers less formal (ie less shiny and a conservative last). The last shape would contribute heavily to the eventual styling decision.

For instance, although these are grained (informal leather), I couldn't imagine wearing these with a pair of Rogue Territory Chinos
Screenshot_20230131-235430_Chrome.jpg

Now imagine if these were in a smooth shiny black leather. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Conversely, these shoes (took this picture from a seller on Ebay)
Screenshot_20230201-000347_eBay.jpg

I could probably pair them up, as is, with those RT Chinos, because they are matte and just look heavier, although still smart. So, they fall in-line with what Simon is proposing, and probably aren't the focal point of the outfit, like what I'm proposing.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I wear my black calf Piccadilly loafers (matte look, not shined) with pretty much every trousers I have: indigo or white jeans, salt & pepper chambray work trousers, olive fatigues, grey flannel or navy linen odd trousers. It works in all these cases in my opinion.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's going to be closer to a Brannock 9C (EG D width = US C width).

Thank you so much for this. I had been thinking about them all day as I am a fine of the style. I posted the PSA here in hopes that someone would grab them and I could stop thinking about it. Hearing this removes all temptation. I also noticed these are final sale so I have a hunch that the retailer is aware of the potential for confusion.

symphvaria

Reaction score
I've been thinking about sending my Dark Oak Dovers in for a resole and a refurbish next month, so I'll need a pair of shoes to wear while they're back at the factory, lest I end up being that weirdo who wears black toe cap oxfords everywhere. Originally I'd intended my next pair of Edward Greens to be a MTO Galway, but given I'll be wearing whatever pair of shoes I get next in pretty warm climates I decided I'd rather save that for the end of the year.

I've gravitated towards getting a loafer instead (though if there's another kind of shoe I don't have that would be worth taking a look at too feel free to mention!), and between the Belgravia and the Piccadilly I've found that I like these two the most:
DSCF1620-1_1024x1024.jpg

Piccadilly in burgundy cordovan from Gentlemen's Footwear

Belgravia_184_Nightshade_addB.jpg

Belgravia in nightshade smooth calf

I already have something in Dark Oak, so repeating the same shade of brown so soon seems a bit silly, and I also prefer darker browns. Both of these shades of brown also have strong red undertones which I'm particularly infatuated with as of late.

My main concern with the Piccadilly would be how wise of a choice cordovan is for a loafer, would it be too inflexible even after break in? I'm also unsure of the aesthetic of the tassel loafer in general vs. the penny loafer, I haven't quite worked out in my head which I'm more drawn to and which one I find more/less formal, and what kinds of outfits I'd be able to pair with either. Thoughts?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about sending my Dark Oak Dovers in for a resole and a refurbish next month, so I'll need a pair of shoes to wear while they're back at the factory, lest I end up being that weirdo who wears black toe cap oxfords everywhere. Originally I'd intended my next pair of Edward Greens to be a MTO Galway, but given I'll be wearing whatever pair of shoes I get next in pretty warm climates I decided I'd rather save that for the end of the year.

I've gravitated towards getting a loafer instead (though if there's another kind of shoe I don't have that would be worth taking a look at too feel free to mention!), and between the Belgravia and the Piccadilly I've found that I like these two the most:
DSCF1620-1_1024x1024.jpg

I already have something in Dark Oak, so repeating the same shade of brown so soon seems a bit silly, and I also prefer darker browns. Both of these shades of brown also have strong red undertones which I'm particularly infatuated with as of late.

My main concern with the Piccadilly would be how wise of a choice cordovan is for a loafer, would it be too inflexible even after break in? I'm also unsure of the aesthetic of the tassel loafer in general vs. the penny loafer, I haven't quite worked out in my head which I'm more drawn to and which one I find more/less formal, and what kinds of outfits I'd be able to pair with either. Thoughts?

Myself, @te0o, and others were just discussing this topic briefly (go back a page). Short answer will depend on your comfort level and willingness to wear shoes that can be described or classified as formal, to be worn casually. Chef choice.

A cordovan loafer will be difficult to break-in (from my experience but YMMV - - this was discussed previously as well), and, for me, feels hotter in warmer climates. An unlined variant might be the better choice both for summer wearing and breaking in. Alternatively, you can begin the break-in process immediately, so they would be ready to go come the Spring/Summer.

kalufsen

Reaction score

DSCF1620-1_1024x1024.jpg

Whatever you choose (both are great) - try them both on feet. Even though they are the same last, they fit very differently due to the saddlestrap!

Had to sell the Piccadillys due to instep challenges and now rocking the Belgravia which fits my instep much better.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
Whatever you choose (both are great) - try them both on feet. Even though they are the same last, they fit very differently due to the saddlestrap!

I think this is very important point and I can confirm that. That double leather in instep area makes big difference. It won't get looser easily in case one has higher instep.
Also Piccadilly's vamp is longer compared to that on Belgravia.

symphvaria

Reaction score
Myself, @te0o, and others were just discussing this topic briefly (go back a page). Short answer will depend on your comfort level and willingness to wear shoes that can be described or classified as formal, to be worn casually. Chef choice.

A cordovan loafer will be difficult to break-in (from my experience but YMMV - - this was discussed previously as well), and, for me, feels hotter in warmer climates. An unlined variant might be the better choice both for summer wearing and breaking in. Alternatively, you can begin the break-in process immediately, so they would be ready to go come the Spring/Summer.
So if I'm understanding correctly, penny loafers are considered a little more formal and tassel loafers are considered a little more casual? That probably pushes me more towards the Belgravia then.

I was thinking that the Piccadilly I selected was a really interesting choice, since I've never owned anything in cordovan before, but the break-in time and the heat issues might be relevant, not entirely sure. And I haven't tried either in person so I have no idea if the saddlestrap will be an issue; thinking of getting it done tomorrow right before I have to head to the airport. That may end up being the dealbreaker, but that aside, I'm curious if anyone else has anything interesting to add that may help to sway my decision.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I have one question to the audience here (thank you in advance for any replies): EG online store does offer Dover in black calf on 606 last with HAF sole. If I ask them to make me Dover in the same configuration but with a change in the last (202 instead of 606), will it be considered as MTO yet and should I expect an upcharge?

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
I have one question to the audience here (thank you in advance for any replies): EG online store does offer Dover in black calf on 606 last with HAF sole. If I ask them to make me Dover in the same configuration but with a change in the last (202 instead of 606), will it be considered as MTO yet and should I expect an upcharge?
Probably it depends if they plan a run in that last or have it as a stock option, you can ask nicely?

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if I'm understanding correctly, penny loafers are considered a little more formal and tassel loafers are considered a little more casual? That probably pushes me more towards the Belgravia then.

I was thinking that the Piccadilly I selected was a really interesting choice, since I've never owned anything in cordovan before, but the break-in time and the heat issues might be relevant, not entirely sure. And I haven't tried either in person so I have no idea if the saddlestrap will be an issue; thinking of getting it done tomorrow right before I have to head to the airport. That may end up being the dealbreaker, but that aside, I'm curious if anyone else has anything interesting to add that may help to sway my decision.
Nightshade can be a bit purple-ish in colour. I am personally not a big fan.

I have three pairs in dark oak, all different styles, and I don’t think the fact they share the same leather makes any one of them redundant. In fact the opposite - there’s a reason why DOAK is so popular.

If you’re after a darker brown, look at the Piccadilly in dark brown London Grain. It also looks a tad more casual which is something you’re after if I understand correctly. Delapre is also an option but not sure how many RTW loafer models they have in that.

If I were you, I’d go for either Piccadilly/Belgravia in DOAK/London grain (or black calf but that is more formal).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads