• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My two cents on the subject of Dainite:

Dainite can be hard on my bad knee. The funny thing is, it isn’t always; some pairs with Dainite soles are fine. I still avoid Dainite because it’s too hard to tell how my knee will take to a pair without putting in a few miles.

As for slipperiness,in my experience Dainite gives reasonable traction on wet days here in Brooklyn. My workplace has some slippery stone steps. I’ve taken fallen twice, but never on Dainite. I’ve also worn Dainite in snowy streets here and in Canada and managed to stay upright. Not even that many close calls . Yes, Dainite is slippery on ice, but what isn’t.
This is my experience too. I've had some Dainite that's been stiff as hell and then some that I barely feel under foot. Such a crap shoot for some reason

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of extending this discussion far beyond its useful shelf life, I wore these new-to-me Viberg Bourbon shells on dainite.....

13 hours of wear, which includes multiple trips on the stairs between 17 and 24 and my feet feel fine. Slight coating/dusting of snow caused no issues walking through town. For me (agreed YMMV), my issue seemed to be simply a lack of understanding.

Edit - sorry guys, trouble with the spoiler......

Attachments

• 20230120_BourbonBergs.jpg
    20230120_BourbonBergs.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20230120_Bourbon6.jpg
    20230120_Bourbon6.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 89

Haagendazs

Reaction score
F.uck dainite
Wore a newmarket for three week straight on a trip and first thing I did when I came back is to throw it at a cobbler to get that stuff ripped off for something else
Never again

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
13 hours of wear, which includes multiple trips on the stairs between 17 and 24 and my feet feel fine. Slight coating/dusting of snow caused no issues walking through town. For me (agreed YMMV), my issue seemed to be simply a lack of understanding.

I have the same experience. Few weeks ago I wore my Galways on Dainite soles for two days in a row, walked more than 10 km on wet, snowy and even icy pavements and even though it was not ideal, I could handle it without any issues. My feet felt fine at the end of the day. I would compare the comfort level to that of leather sole.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it was the thin socks, or just the break-in process but these Chelsea in 915 last destroyed my feet after wearing them for 3 days at a trade show.

I had no issue with my Glaway in 82 last but I typically wore thicker socks for them.

20230118_075154.jpg

20230118_075229.jpg

shoefan57

Reaction score
Not sure if it was the thin socks, or just the break-in process but these Chelsea in 915 last destroyed my feet after wearing them for 3 days at a trade show.

I had no issue with my Glaway in 82 last but I typically wore thicker socks for them.

View attachment 1881247
View attachment 1881248
I've noticed that having introduced the 915 last and its chisel toed counterpart ( cannot remember the number - was it 890?) to great fan fare, that EG have offered very little on these last beyond the first year or two of their life. I wonder if that means they have not been popular? The drop off happened before Covid, so I don't think it was due to the shift away from smart shoes but that shift certainly won't help these lasts bounce back, if ever they do.

On the positive side, those Chelseas do look like they fit you well.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1881247
View attachment 1881248
Looking great though!

I've got the exact same pair. Mine literally drew blood every time I wore them until I realised they were half a size too big. Got them re-lasted and they've since become my most comfortable pair of oxfords.

Where are the problematic areas for you?

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that having introduced the 915 last and its chisel toed counterpart ( cannot remember the number - was it 890?) to great fan fare, that EG have offered very little on these last beyond the first year or two of their life. I wonder if that means they have not been popular? The drop off happened before Covid, so I don't think it was due to the shift away from smart shoes but that shift certainly won't help these lasts bounce back, if ever they do.
More than two years ago now I was even told they were about to discontinue RTW production on 915 but apparently they decided against it.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow that's a very short life for a last
I really like the last, the Newbury looks perfect on it, so does the Chelsea IMO. But I guess it is a bit too similar to 82 and that's why it never took off. Hard to compete with the 82...

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my right foot right here:

View attachment 1881263
Is it a case of having a little too much room on the vamp which digs into that part of the foot when the shoe is flexing?

I had this same issue, albeit a little further forward on the toe itself. I think it's due to the last being longer compared to 82 and the flex point on the vamp is brought forward.

I'm asking as it looks like you have maybe a little too much volume on the instep too which could mean you might be better off sizing down?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads