• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mrmax

Reaction score
Quick update, I contacted EG directly:

It is a small piece of plastic cover and can be pulled out with tweezers or small pliers. This will have no effect on the construction of the shoe.

I don't feel comfortable doing this but will pop into the store in London when I'm next there. Thanks for the help Gentlemen.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick update, I contacted EG directly:

It is a small piece of plastic cover and can be pulled out with tweezers or small pliers. This will have no effect on the construction of the shoe.

I don't feel comfortable doing this but will pop into the store in London when I'm next there. Thanks for the help Gentlemen.

It's rather simple to remove it. So simple in fact, if you don't have to make the trip to London, don't. It is literally grab and pull.

Screenshot_20230116-113937_Chrome.jpg

This is what it would have looked like during the construction phase with the plastic film on it to protect the upper during the bottom making and finishing.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than light "glaze" on the toe, EG appears to leave cordovan relatively untreated. My experience is based on a small sample size of two, but I really like the end product.

I've seen a few in-store (don't own any), and it looked only tannery colored. So your experience coincides with what I've seen.

Gustaf

Reaction score
History buffs, which of the current Galway lasts is most similar to the milspec models of yore?

symphvaria

Reaction score
Thoughts on the R3 sole versus the standard oak bark tanned leather sole on a pair of black Chelseas? Which would be preferable and for what reasons?

Also, thoughts on the 82 last vs the 202 last? I’ve tried the 202 on and it fit me alright, but I am curious about what the 82 is like in comparison.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time @te0o posts those amazing DOAK Belgravia’s, it makes me want to wear my DOAK Dovers as I really look forward to them aging like his. Had them on, walked outside, and it was raining buckets and I simply didn’t want to chance it so I called an audible. There are worse Plan B’s than burgundy Dover’s on Dainite……

00676E9A-5553-4410-A03D-A15C72FC13A6.jpeg
DE614B55-0BA7-4A26-ADB6-A900BC74621C.jpeg
0C5942E1-BF22-4488-8F3C-059BC00A80F0.jpeg

Office carpet is hideous but the lighting is good so what he heck. Lastly, what has become one of my favorite shots. Capturing the view of our beautiful city from the 24th floor……

8DF33FB4-F6E1-48B0-89CB-B314070E5BDA.jpeg

Happy Friday-eve…….

Last edited:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone who’s interested the EG private sale has started. Discounts look to be 20% or so.
Where does one access this?

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time @te0o posts those amazing DOAK Belgravia’s, it makes me want to wear my DOAK Dovers as I really look forward to them aging like his. Had them on, walked outside, and it was raining buckets and I simply didn’t want to chance it so I called an audible. There are worse Plan B’s than burgundy Dover’s on Dainite……

View attachment 1880504 View attachment 1880505 View attachment 1880506

Office carpet is hideous but the lighting is good so what he heck. Lastly, what has become one of my favorite shots. Capturing the view of our beautiful city from the 24th floor……

View attachment 1880508

Happy Friday-eve…….

I'm eyeing a pair of Dovers on the 202 last and dainite soles. I wonder, what do you think of Black Utah, and what do you think about the dainite soles? I heard they're kind of stiff and not the most comfortable but your experience would be appreciated!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm eyeing a pair of Dovers on the 202 last and dainite soles. I wonder, what do you think of Black Utah, and what do you think about the dainite soles? I heard they're kind of stiff and not the most comfortable but your experience would be appreciated!

I can offer my experience with Dainite. Stiff, doesn't offer much slip protection, hardens when the weather drops.
It is durable but if you have another option, such as leather and placing a topy unto it, I'd continue in that direction.

Black Utah looks quite good. Probably not as versatile as either Oxblood (or whatever EG calls it) or Dark Brown. I'd suggest to save that leather for a boot or chukka.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bellybalanceau