• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Quest

Reaction score
Got a noticeable scuff on my rosewood galways.

Would I dob that with black or dark brown to restore it?

Also...I was planning to use cognac for the rosewood in general. Would people recommend a different color?

shoefan57

Reaction score
Got a noticeable scuff on my rosewood galways.

Would I dob that with black or dark brown to restore it?

Also...I was planning to use cognac for the rosewood in general. Would people recommend a different color?
I use “Bordeaux” but “Mahogany “ would work too. It’s a matter of preserving the red colour. You see from my experience Rosewood seems to begin as Almond which is then darkened at the factory. That is, at least, the underlying colour that shows through mine when scuffed or after coming from from EG folllowimg a resole ( Almond patch on toe of one shoe).

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I can offer my experience with Dainite. Stiff, doesn't offer much slip protection, hardens when the weather drops.
It is durable but if you have another option, such as leather and placing a topy unto it, I'd continue in that direction.

Black Utah looks quite good. Probably not as versatile as either Oxblood (or whatever EG calls it) or Dark Brown. I'd suggest to save that leather for a boot or chukka.

As with anything a lot of this is personal preference. There are many people that prefer dainite. My take...

Dainite positives:
Fairly low profile​
Usable in rain*​
Durable**​

Dainite negatives:
Stiff​
Can be uncomfortable for some people​
Lighter colored edges don't look as aesthetically pleasing as full leather​
Not usable in rain***​
Durable****​

Key:
*, *** Usable in rain with the caveat that you don't walk on wet tiled or similar smooth surfaces
**, **** Durable is both a positive and negative. It's a positive because it's nice when soles last a while. It's a negative because when you are saddled with dainite soles they last forever and it's difficult to justify a resole when the soles apparently have decades of remaining service life.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm eyeing a pair of Dovers on the 202 last and dainite soles. I wonder, what do you think of Black Utah, and what do you think about the dainite soles? I heard they're kind of stiff and not the most comfortable but your experience would be appreciated!

My knowledge of EG pales in comparison to @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes and while I agree with his assessment on color, my opinion of Dainite is a little different. First, I have been in the anti-Dainite camp for years. But in hindsight that is because I always compared them to rubber soles and expected them to be soft and pliable. IMO, that was misguided. With my Dovers I noticed that they seem to feel more like leather soles.Once I changed my expectations I came to realize that these are fine. Not at all stiff or uncomfortable when compared to leather. Actually, they pretty much feel the same. As for ice and inclimate conditions, I have yet to find a sole that is slip-proof, but I certainly will reach for something else in the snow. Bottom line, I wasn’t a fan but now I am. Just changed my expectations.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As with anything a lot of this is personal preference. There are many people that prefer dainite. My take...

Dainite positives:
Fairly low profile​
Usable in rain*​
Durable**​

Dainite negatives:
Stiff​
Can be uncomfortable for some people​
Lighter colored edges don't look as aesthetically pleasing as full leather​
Not usable in rain***​
Durable****​

Key:
*, *** Usable in rain with the caveat that you don't walk on wet tiled or similar smooth surfaces
**, **** Durable is both a positive and negative. It's a positive because it's nice when soles last a while. It's a negative because when you are saddled with dainite soles they last forever and it's difficult to justify a resole when the soles apparently have decades of remaining service life.

This has been my experience as well. Sure the Dainite got me to work in one piece, when it was raining and when I wasn't on office tile or subway slip surfaces, but as soon as I entered the office building I was creeping around like a burglar.

https://media.tenor.com/EBGqLpvj3pAAAAAM/raccoon-steal.gif

My knowledge of EG pales in comparison to @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes and while I agree with his assessment on color, my opinion of Dainite is a little different. First, I have been in the anti-Dainite camp for years. But in hindsight that is because I always compared them to rubber soles and expected them to be soft and pliable. IMO, that was misguided. With my Dovers I noticed that they seem to feel more like leather soles.Once I changed my expectations I came to realize that these are fine. Not at all stiff or uncomfortable when compared to leather. Actually, they pretty much feel the same. As for ice and inclimate conditions, I have yet to find a sole that is slip-proof, but I certainly will reach for something else in the snow. Bottom line, I wasn’t a fan but now I am. Just changed my expectations.

A case where YMMV with Dainite then. I've fallen (an amount I can count with one hand) and gotten up with Dainite on, but the close calls were quite numerous with them on, too much to count.

I believe my expectations were rooted in the initial publicity about the soles. Superior grip, as comfortable as leather soles, superiority in the rain, and last longer than leather. While I did/do praise Dainite for its durability, the main selling point to me is superior grip in wet conditions. For my usage, this has/had not been the case. In a rural town or smaller city, Dainite may be fine. If your (arbitrary you) is in a setting similar to NYC (ie office tiles, some slippery streets and stations), I can't in good faith recommend it.

Incidentally, I can't imagine anyone is using Dainite or it's derivatve in snow conditions. I have been successful in combating inclement weather using a commando sole. I recently picked up a pair of boots that have the Vibram Arctic Sole,
Screenshot_20230119-190214_Chrome.jpg

while I have heard great things, have not had a chance to test the soles (no snow).

Will update accordingly!

Last edited:

barutanseijin

Reaction score
My two cents on the subject of Dainite:

Dainite can be hard on my bad knee. The funny thing is, it isn’t always; some pairs with Dainite soles are fine. I still avoid Dainite because it’s too hard to tell how my knee will take to a pair without putting in a few miles.

As for slipperiness,in my experience Dainite gives reasonable traction on wet days here in Brooklyn. My workplace has some slippery stone steps. I’ve taken fallen twice, but never on Dainite. I’ve also worn Dainite in snowy streets here and in Canada and managed to stay upright. Not even that many close calls . Yes, Dainite is slippery on ice, but what isn’t.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hate hate hate hateeee dainitteeee foreverrrr

Dainite can be hard on my bad knee. The funny thing is, it isn’t always; some pairs with Dainite soles are fine. I still avoid Dainite because it’s too hard to tell how my knee will take to a pair without putting in a few miles.

As for slipperiness,in my experience Dainite gives reasonable traction on wet days here in Brooklyn. My workplace has some slippery stone steps. I’ve taken fallen twice, but never on Dainite. I’ve also worn Dainite in snowy streets here and in Canada and managed to stay upright. Not even that many close calls . Yes, Dainite is slippery on ice, but what isn’t.

Talk about YMMV on Dainite.

Braver man than I am @barutanseijin for wearing Dainite in the snow. I'll remain a coward and stick with my lug soles.

J Quest

Reaction score
I use “Bordeaux” but “Mahogany “ would work too. It’s a matter of preserving the red colour. You see from my experience Rosewood seems to begin as Almond which is then darkened at the factory. That is, at least, the underlying colour that shows through mine when scuffed or after coming from from EG folllowimg a resole ( Almond patch on toe of one shoe).

What color do you use for scuffs on the patina? Dark brown? Black?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same as you. I have an unreliable knee and Dainite just doesn't work well for it. On one of my Dovers, I had it resoled at Angelo's in Park Slope with a Vibram Eton sole. Much much much better.

shoefan57

Reaction score
I would say that Dainite is an universal type of sole which does its job pretty well in various situations but at the same time for each of those situations you can find better type of sole. I personally like it for its universality.
I agree with this. It's great for every day wear in "normal" conditions - normal at least in the UK. I agree it's not good on snow however. I bought a fleece lined boot from Cheaney a few years ago. I soon learnt that the boot is largely unwearable because when it's cold enough to wear them, then the conditions are ice and/or snow. I prefer a commando sole or better Ridgeway sole for those conditions.

As an aside, EG do offer a rubber midsole made from a softer rubber and with a Dainite outer sole makes for a more comfortable experience.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
healthyfit