• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

krakerjac

Reaction score
I don't know if I like these Pebbly Grain Dovers selling on MrPorter, but I'm really really growing fond of it.

http://www.mrporter.com/en-au/mens/edward_green/dover-pebble-grain-derby-shoes/465703

Get it! I have absolutely no regrets. They are the perfect wet weather shoe. And they look amazing with grey pants. In fact, ever since I got them (which to be fair has only been a week), my DOAK Dovers (same last - 606) with HAF leather soles haven't seen any action.

krakerjac

Reaction score
Nice! Does the CC leather develop much of a patina over time compared to the usual type of leather?
Don't know about developing a patina, but I use black polish on the toes of my Walnut CC Dovers, and they've developed a nice dark shine, not quite bull shine as on regular calf, but there's definitely a nice, smoother contrast against the graininess of the rest of the shoe.

krakerjac

Reaction score
I would like to know if the way to tell whether a pair of EG is bought directly from them, or from a reseller (e.g. Mr Porter) is by looking at the insole.

A pair direct from Jermyn Street has a gold rectangular box with 'Edward Green' written in gold inside the box.

A pair from a reseller just has Edward Green blind embossed onto the insole, with no colour at all. And the font is much bigger too.

Can anyone verify that this is the case?

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would like to know if the way to tell whether a pair of EG is bought directly from them, or from a reseller (e.g. Mr Porter) is by looking at the insole.

A pair direct from Jermyn Street has a gold rectangular box with 'Edward Green' written in gold inside the box.

A pair from a reseller just has Edward Green blind embossed onto the insole, with no colour at all. And the font is much bigger too.

I've had the same experience, though unsure if it's simply a coincidence. Sftg would know for sure I bet

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

interesting question - never thought of that.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately no. The MTO 2 option is only available as single MTOs. 

Oh, too bad. I really respect EG's integrity, though at times their policies seem a bit on the restrictive side – like this stock model that have done numerous times on the 888 – so I think that kicks my idea further down the road. Unless of course it's a model Skoak would consider taking home for the store :smarmy:

Just look at how nice they are on 888 (though I would prefer single leather soles):

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello -

For either of the following Galway makeups:

939e7cc9_1.jpeg

Would I need to do a MTO or is that something I could find via an online retailer? Are there ever GMTOs of Galways?

cezinho

Reaction score
I was going to get a Burgundy shoe. But I already have ae Burgundy wingtip Oxford and a Vass Oxblood shell lwb. Might go for the Beaulieu or maybe look for gaps someplace else

I guess I will go also burgundy beaulieu. Inverness in not for me on 888.
I will eventually seach for a Malvern in other colour than DOAK (which I have already 2 pairs):

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess I will go also burgundy beaulieu. Inverness in not for me on 888.
I will eventually seach for a Malvern in other colour than DOAK (which I have already 2 pairs):

Malvern in chestnut is stock color I think.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Malvern in chestnut is stock color I think.

In the EG catalogue I think it's Edwardian, no? I would really, really like it on the 888 and something like Edwardian, but not sure if it really justifies the MTO2 fee... So if someone sees it stocked on the 888 anywhere, please let me know :D

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello -

For either of the following Galway makeups:

939e7cc9_1.jpeg

Would I need to do a MTO or is that something I could find via an online retailer? Are there ever GMTOs of Galways?
Your in luck as both of these are currently being offered by at least two different retailers. In fact it's not uncommon for the Dark Oak and Walnut CC to be offered by someone. However keep in mind if you choose to go with the one already in stock at Axels that it's In the D width which is rather narrow. Most people will at least go with the E width in the 82 Last.

http://axelsltd.com/collections/the-edward-green-galway-boot/products/galway-in-dark-oak

Leffot also has two pairs instock as well in the E width.

http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/shoes/edward-green/galway-dark-oak-walnut-cc.html

The second boot with the suede shaft is being sold by at least another retailer, Brooks Brothers. They are selling theirs in the E width but they have even fewer sizes available now. They're price is even higher however but both do come with shoetrees.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Edwar...var_MH00356_Color=BRWN&contentpos=5&cgid=0522

There's a decent chance you might find the Dark Oak and Walnut CC some other place as this is one not uncommon to find, or the last option would be to go thru a Edward Green retailer and order a pair as a single Made To Order which will most likely include a fee for a special order can be done also. As reference my first Galway I purchased from a retailer who just happened to have what I wanted and in my size in stock. The second Galway I had to order via an MTO from a Edward Green retailer in order to get what I wanted and in my size.

If you chose to go the single MTO route you may want to go with Skoaktiebolaget. They do not currently have either boot you are looking for in stock, however this used to be on their stocklist and you may not be charged for a single MTO. Although I am not affiliated with them I have ordered a number of shoes from them and their Edward Green prices tend to be more friendlier which may still cost less than some of the others I have mentioned.

http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/

contact [email protected]

Either way good luck, and you certainly couldn't go wrong with either Galway you chose.

Last edited:

Naesuk

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been reading for months before joining. Just to echo other posts the Edward Green suade is fantastic, I have a pair of Galways which are all suade and they they look great. Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics