• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dench127

Reaction score
I purchased this pair of Shannon very recently and am curious which shop carried this make-up. These are on 82D last unlike the stock Shannon on 202E. Additionally, this pair is on double leather soles unlike the stock model on single leather. My guess is either Axel's or Khaki's commissioned this make-up. As far as I'm aware, these are the only two retailers in the US to offer D-width AND shoe trees as standard

View attachment 1571391 View attachment 1571392
Was this from eBay? I think I was watching it and almost pulled the trigger

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a score!
Thanks! I'm a fan of the Shannon (and G&G Canterbury), and couldn't resist when I saw this pop up. Unlike the redwood Shannon, this is a pretty dressy boot. Hopefully I'll be able to get good use out of this pair once I return to the office (where I tend to stand out even when I wear my beater Alfred Sargent or AE boots!)

Last edited:

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a couple of quality issues with my Galway boots. Just want to say that The Rake (from whom I bought my boots), and Anthony at Edward Green are superb with their customer support. Though I worried I was being too picky, The Rake assured me that I was not, and that I absolutely should have the highest expectations for boots of this price/calibre.

I'm not here to complain about what those issues were, as that might start a debate over "that is indeed too minor" or "that is egregious, their standards are falling!" Just to say that EG is quite helpful and if you have any concerns that you might have received a pair not up to EG's expected standards you should absolutely feel comfortable that they will support you.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve found their quality control excellent (and the ‘issues’ with their factory seconds lesser than with other brand’s first quality) but we are all fallible and the odd error will slip through the net.

It’s how companies deal with us as consumers at that point that proves how good they are. Great to hear both companies did well!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, found these on ebay. These are much nicer in person. I'll take and share better pics myself when I have some time.

Gotta step my ebay search game up. You and I are the same size and I definitely would have taken a run at those. Man those are sweet. Congrats on a very nice pickup.

One of the few things sexier than the green box is the contents inside. UPS dropped these off for me today.........

20210311_EGLoafer4.jpg
20210311_EGLoafer3.jpg
20210311_EGLoafer1.jpg

I'm a loafer guy and was quite excited to grab these. I was thinking long and hard about a pre-owned pair of Dovers off the Bay but with a 15% discount code, these were pretty close to the same price. The Dovers would have likely pushed a pair I already own out of the rotation whereas these are unique in that I simply don't have many black shoes. While I am far from an EG expert and I don't know if this truly adds anything to the shoes, but the fact that the soles have been 'tanned from a solution of various barks for nine months' is a pretty impressive attention to detail.

Now for the unfortunate news. I know there has been recent chatter about the fit of EG loafers but I've never had an issue with fit that wasn't due to incorrect size. These may be the first. I am a brannock 9D and these are 8UK and man, they are snug. Tight with a thicker sock, perfect sockless, but snug with a dress sock. And they are snug across the strap which I think is an area that might not loosen up as much over time. I also think going up to a 8.5UK will be too large. I will think for the next day or so whether I want to roll the dice on them getting more comfortable or return them. A significant part of the allure for me is how comfortable my EG boots are (same type of leather) and while I love the look of these, if they are not glove comfortable, I'm not sure they are worth keeping.

These are my first pair of EG shoes and I truly hope they work out. Thanks to all of you enablers for the encouragement.

garigo

Reaction score
Those loafers look so good! I’m curious, do you know the difference between their soles with the black leather in the middle, and the ones that are entirely brown (e.g. these)? They seem to be both single leather soles.

nmiller08

Reaction score
Those loafers look so good! I’m curious, do you know the difference between their soles with the black leather in the middle, and the ones that are entirely brown (e.g. these)? They seem to be both single leather soles.

black and burgundy uppers get a black waist I believe. Same sole construction

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks my-man. I agree, they are really nice. Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your question as these are my first pair of EG shoes. My boots have rubber sole. Looks like @nmiller08 knows the answer.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Gotta step my ebay search game up. You and I are the same size and I definitely would have taken a run at those. Man those are sweet. Congrats on a very nice pickup.

One of the few things sexier than the green box is the contents inside. UPS dropped these off for me today.........

View attachment 1572053 View attachment 1572054 View attachment 1572055

I'm a loafer guy and was quite excited to grab these. I was thinking long and hard about a pre-owned pair of Dovers off the Bay but with a 15% discount code, these were pretty close to the same price. The Dovers would have likely pushed a pair I already own out of the rotation whereas these are unique in that I simply don't have many black shoes. While I am far from an EG expert and I don't know if this truly adds anything to the shoes, but the fact that the soles have been 'tanned from a solution of various barks for nine months' is a pretty impressive attention to detail.

Now for the unfortunate news. I know there has been recent chatter about the fit of EG loafers but I've never had an issue with fit that wasn't due to incorrect size. These may be the first. I am a brannock 9D and these are 8UK and man, they are snug. Tight with a thicker sock, perfect sockless, but snug with a dress sock. And they are snug across the strap which I think is an area that might not loosen up as much over time. I also think going up to a 8.5UK will be too large. I will think for the next day or so whether I want to roll the dice on them getting more comfortable or return them. A significant part of the allure for me is how comfortable my EG boots are (same type of leather) and while I love the look of these, if they are not glove comfortable, I'm not sure they are worth keeping.

These are my first pair of EG shoes and I truly hope they work out. Thanks to all of you enablers for the encouragement.

I believe brannock to EG size is a half a size smaller and not one full size. That’s the case with all my EG shoes.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1572053 View attachment 1572054 View attachment 1572055

Am I right in saying your other pair are Galways on 64? If the Galways are the same size as the loafers (Piccadilly on 184?) then they will probably be ok after some time breaking them in. If you sized down from the 64 last, well, I couldn’t.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe brannock to EG size is a half a size smaller and not one full size. That’s the case with all my EG shoes.

Am I right in saying your other pair are Galways on 64? If the Galways are the same size as the loafers (Piccadilly on 184?) then they will probably be ok after some time breaking them in. If you sized down from the 64 last, well, I couldn’t.

Thanks guys. Yeah I think this is on me. My Galways are on E64 and appear to be 1/2 size larger. That makes it an easier call as I will return and try 8.5UK.

Biogentic

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah I think this is on me. My Galways are on E64 and appear to be 1/2 size larger. That makes it an easier call as I will return and try 8.5UK.
I am also a TTS US9 D. For EG loafer on the 184 last I am wearing UK8.5/9 E Just curious, where did you bought this loafer it looks nice..
showing my recent purchase EG Lulworth

Attachments

• 76416F31-BB1F-4F18-94CA-57EA525A3AE8.jpeg
    76416F31-BB1F-4F18-94CA-57EA525A3AE8.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 94
  • CC3BB60C-2EE4-465A-BD67-8B9E7BE91915.jpeg
    CC3BB60C-2EE4-465A-BD67-8B9E7BE91915.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 87

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also a TTS US9 D. For EG loafer on the 184 last I am wearing UK8.5/9 E Just curious, where did you bought this loafer it looks nice..
showing my recent purchase EG Lulworth

Man, those are cool. Got mine from MatchesFashion.

Biogentic

Reaction score
I would imagine medium brown for burnt pine. Havana Brown is perfect for dark oak. That's the Saphir colours.

The antique part is dyed into the leather. Whatever EG uses to do it doesn't come off easily. Even renomat doesn't remove it (not that I've tried to remove it but I have used renomat on three pairs of dark oak)
Do u buy the wax or cream version?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads