• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can feel some of the brass nails slightly protruded on the heels of my new (not yet worn outside) EG shoes. Is this normal?

I have compared with an equally new pair of Crocketts handgrade which seems better finished - the nails are all flush, even slightly recessed, in the heel.

Pictures?

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had them protrude on any of my pairs. I’d imagine they would wear flush pretty quickly once you wear them outside though.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Don't think I've ever inspected the nails on the heel. Unless one is sticking out a lot a couple of wears will fix it.

Biogentic

Reaction score
They are my size but luckily shoes, even the iconic Dover, don't inspire in me the same level of excitement that boots do.

I realize I am an exception in this regard. I bought a pair of deeply discounted BNIB DOAK dovers a couple of years back. After a year of letting them sit in my closet, I tentatively listed them on ebay at a price that I felt was high for a pair that showed signs of handling and shop wear. I set the price (seemingly) high as I wasn't 100% sure I was ready to sell. Got a ton of inquiries right away and to my surprise it sold at my Buy it Now price within a day.
It seems like Dover is a very high demand model especially true for dark oak... been looking for a pair but not able to score one at a good price...
Anyone own Edward Green monk strap shoes? Which model? Does it looks as good as the dover? I still waiting for my Ashby that looks like a Dover with monk strap..

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
It seems like Dover is a very high demand model especially true for dark oak... been looking for a pair but not able to score one at a good price...
Anyone own Edward Green monk strap shoes? Which model? Does it looks as good as the dover? I still waiting for my Ashby that looks like a Dover with monk strap..
I have the Westminster and the Dover. Completely different shoes. If you want a Dover get a Dover. Applies to anything in life really. If you can afford to get the thing you want it's inherently a good deal.

I also have a Thorpe, a Nevis, an unlined Dover, and a Halifax. None of them are the quintessential Dover makeup despite all of them being 'a Dover with a [thing that makes it a different model]'.

It's unlikely you'll find a Doak Dover at below retail unless it's a retailer discounting it's entire line. Even then often times the best sizes won't be in stock.

Biogentic

Reaction score
I have the Westminster and the Dover. Completely different shoes. If you want a Dover get a Dover. Applies to anything in life really. If you can afford to get the thing you want it's inherently a good deal.

I also have a Thorpe, a Nevis, an unlined Dover, and a Halifax. None of them are the quintessential Dover makeup despite all of them being 'a Dover with a [thing that makes it a different model]'.

It's unlikely you'll find a Doak Dover at below retail unless it's a retailer discounting it's entire line. Even then often times the best sizes won't be in stock.
Yes that true... the only Dover that I can find at a discount are those in suede or other calf materials. But the Dover is really a very nice shoes.. I aim to have at least 3 pairs in suede and calf..
I also like the Westminster or Clapham especially in suede..

do you all pay retail price for it or wait for sales before getting?

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I’d want a Dover in suede. I’ve got Nevis and Halifax, and a pair of AS split toes in calf so the suede would be a nice change.

CWL317

Reaction score
Pictures?
Here you go. You can really feel it when you run your fingers across.

19BE5562-7372-4852-8579-F273F537539E.jpeg

7CDBCD5B-BC34-47B3-AC3C-EDB2A0C7A759.jpeg

And thanks to all who replied. Yes it’s not really an issue but would it be considered normal or somewhat unrefined at this level? I’m not suggesting the Crocketts are better shoes but their nails are completely flush or slightly recessed...

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not normal on Edward Greens, they’ve just missed a finishing step by the looks of things, but it’s such a minor issue that I wouldn’t worry about it.

Biogentic

Reaction score
I wonder what shoes cream do you all use for burnt pine antique calf and dark oak antique calf?

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
I wonder what shoes cream do you all use for burnt pine antique calf and dark oak antique calf?
I would imagine medium brown for burnt pine. Havana Brown is perfect for dark oak. That's the Saphir colours.

The antique part is dyed into the leather. Whatever EG uses to do it doesn't come off easily. Even renomat doesn't remove it (not that I've tried to remove it but I have used renomat on three pairs of dark oak)

Biogentic

Reaction score
I would imagine medium brown for burnt pine. Havana Brown is perfect for dark oak. That's the Saphir colours.

The antique part is dyed into the leather. Whatever EG uses to do it doesn't come off easily. Even renomat doesn't remove it (not that I've tried to remove it but I have used renomat on three pairs of dark oak)
Thanks shall get that colour I am using beeswax currently to polish it... but doesn’t give off any shine

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Here you go. You can really feel it when you run your fingers across.

View attachment 1568966
View attachment 1568967

And thanks to all who replied. Yes it’s not really an issue but would it be considered normal or somewhat unrefined at this level? I’m not suggesting the Crocketts are better shoes but their nails are completely flush or slightly recessed...
Doesn't look right from a completely academic point of view. That said I've never actually looked that closely - too excited to wear them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads