• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smsodhi

Reaction score
So hard to tell with batch variations and lighting it could be any of the three. I posted a pic a while back of make ups in doak, burnt pine, and hazel. The differences were noticeable when side by side however on an island its much more difficult to tell.

Even in store there is a marked variation in tone for the Dark Oaks on display , and for that matter the ones that come out to be tried on. I had to try on quite a few Berkleys and made a few trips to the store before I settled on the one I got. Even this one was much darker and dull on purchase, but after a couple coats of wax the dark dull layer on top was removed and a nice bright shoe revealed.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never mind that it's still warm and sunny, fall is Galway time:

orig.jpg

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 16 year old Berkeleys need a trip home for renovations. I would imagine the quality of work at EG is quite good but I'm curious if anyone has experience with a recrafting by EG.

Any thoughts?

Definitely go for it they're very very good.

tobinbridge

Reaction score
Would a belgravia have more instep space than a piccadilly on the 184 last in a D width? Is the vamp location the same? Does anyone size up length or width on E.G. Loafers?

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burnt Pine Antique is great if you are lucky to get the right batch. Otherwise you will end with bandage coloured shoes you will hate.

Kinda true of a few other colors as well. I have seen burgundy that looks pink. Batch variation certainly matter but I suppose that's the chance we all take. I ordered a thorpe boot from the skoak mto a while back and the boot was noticeably different upon arrival. Not much skoak could do....it happens.

paddymac

Reaction score
not sure if this has been discussed, what is the general consensus on eg shoetrees? are they really worth it considering i may buy them for a 606 last shoe.....i was told the eg shoetrees are based on the 202/606 last??

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a little something I found from Italy: unworn Edward Green Malvern brogues. Judging by the different finish, these were likely made in the 1990s, if not before. 202-last and burgundy calfskin uppers.

I was veritably shocked to feel that the last fits much closer than the version in use today. The factory must have added girth all around to accommodate all kinds of feet. The finishing has been improved since, but the fit watered down. Looks above comfort -- such a shame.

Vintage_Edward_Green_Malvern_brogues_at_Keikari_dot_com-1024x641.jpg

Vintage_Edward_Green_Malvern_brogues_at_Keikari_dot_com2.jpg

Vintage_Edward_Green_Malvern_brogues_at_Keikari_dot_com3.jpg

Vintage_Edward_Green_Malvern_brogues_at_Keikari_dot_com4.jpg

Vintage_Edward_Green_Malvern_brogues_at_Keikari_dot_com5.jpg

Vintage_Edward_Green_Malvern_brogues_at_Keikari_dot_com6.jpg

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's a little something I found from Italy: unworn Edward Green Malvern brogues. Judging by the different finish, these were likely made in the 1990s, if not before. 202-last and burgundy calfskin uppers.

I was veritably shocked to feel that the last fits much closer than the version in use today. The factory must have added girth all around to accommodate all kinds of feet. The finishing has been improved since, but the fit watered down. Looks above comfort -- such a shame.

Vintage_Edward_Green_Malvern_brogues_at_Keikari_dot_com-1024x641.jpg

Vintage_Edward_Green_Malvern_brogues_at_Keikari_dot_com2.jpg

Vintage_Edward_Green_Malvern_brogues_at_Keikari_dot_com3.jpg

Vintage_Edward_Green_Malvern_brogues_at_Keikari_dot_com4.jpg

Vintage_Edward_Green_Malvern_brogues_at_Keikari_dot_com5.jpg

Vintage_Edward_Green_Malvern_brogues_at_Keikari_dot_com6.jpg
thank you for sharing. EG shoes all fit loose now at the same size as prior (for me). shame EG did that... loved the former fit!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
not sure if this has been discussed, what is the general consensus on eg shoetrees? are they really worth it considering i may buy them for a 606 last shoe.....i was told the eg shoetrees are based on the 202/606 last??
Overpriced and not worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads