Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

Any specific reason why? I like them both, but don't lean that heavily either way.

DL-

2. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior member

It's really hard to go wrong on a Utah v. Walnut CC debate. If both were in stock in my size I think I'd go Walnut CC though.

My rationale for this choice is that while Utah is amazingly soft and supple I think CC would be a better choice for the "ick" of fall/winter. That opinion is based on EG customer service telling me CC is more weather resistant than Utah for what it's worth.

3. heelguy

heelguy Senior member

I like the Utah aesthetically but if I lived in a locale with lots of bad winter weather, would go with the CC.

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Agreed. I love - I mean LOVE - my Utah Galways, but they would not be my choice for a foul weather day.

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

+1

6. Anachronist

Anachronist Member

To pick up tobinbridge's question again, which is keeping me busy too as my desire for an EG loafer is growing: how do EG's loafers turn out size-wise compared to their laced shoes? I wear a 10.5 UK, would I take the same size with their loafers (say a Belgravia, which I'm eying too) or would I need to size down half a size like with many other loafers to avoid heel slippage/too loose fit?

7. paddymac

paddymac Well-Known Member

so much love for the walnut CC because it is better in foul weather??

maybe it's just me but I really don't understand.....Why would anybody wear Dovers in foul weather in the 1st place? lool. damn, you guys got money to burn

8. smsodhi

smsodhi Member

9. michaelvl

michaelvl Senior member

There is a reason that companies like Holland and Holland (Hunting Company) also sells or sold CC Galways (64 last + Veldtschoen construction + Ridgeway sole) under their brand. These boots are actually used by many hunters in harsh terrain and they can take a lot of abuse. Utah, on the contrary, is much softer than the smooth calf leathers that E.G. uses for their elegant shoes.
    Because you can.

CC E.G's with Dainite soles can handle foul weather (pouring rain) with ease, why wear some other crappy shoes in foul weather situations when you can rock some CC Dovers on Dainite instead. When I purchased my CC Galways at Frans Boone in Belgium, I was talking to another client there, he was wearing a pair of CC Galways too on the 64 last, he had his for almost 20 years and has always used his for walking the dogs in the forest. They we worn without a care and the uppers still looked great after all these years.

Strength and hardness wise Utah or Delapre leather is on the opposite side of the spectrum compared to CC, it is softer than the regular calf leather E.G. uses for their RTW dress shoes.

Imho, if you live in a region where it rains a couple of months a year it is good to have a couple of rubber soled shoes in CC or Zug in you rotation together with your leather soled ones for when the weather turns bad.