• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Oh no!!!! Now new burgundy Utah and old burgundy Utah, already????

It's leather tanning and hand finishing, guys. It isn't a computer programmed, infinitely repeatable process.

Btw, my burgundy Utah Galway looks like both of those pics depending on the light in which they are viewed.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's leather tanning and hand finishing, guys. It isn't a computer programmed, infinitely repeatable process.

Btw, my burgundy Utah Galway looks like both of those pics depending on the light in which they are viewed.
Colors are not always super consistent...

That's true, I remember MrV and JR comparing their antique hazel newmarkets and they looked way different.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well said.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW I actually just caught that GF is calling it Dark Burgundy Utah, so he either noticed the difference is enough to rename it or EG now has burgundy and dark burgundy, or is just hand finishing certain models in the darker color. Seems the latter is the most likely and that it is not inconsistencies in the tanning or finishing process.

Edit: From GF: "This rich, darker burgundy finish was hand burnished expressly for our shop by Edward Green."

I also cannot find the burgundy utah dover on the EG site unless I google search it (as I knew it was on the site as of recently), when you go to the site and look around it's no longer there.

Mysteries... lol (Edit: maybe not)

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
The variation in the swatch is just to illustrate what the burnishing will look like.

You can request light or heavy burnishing of any leather so I guess heavy is what Steve requested.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW I actually just caught that GF is calling it Dark Burgundy Utah, so he either noticed the difference is enough to rename it or EG now has burgundy and dark burgundy, or is just hand finishing certain models in the darker color. Seems the latter is the most likely and that it is not inconsistencies in the tanning or finishing process.

Edit: From GF: "[COLOR=333333]This rich, darker burgundy finish was hand burnished expressly for our shop by Edward Green."[/COLOR]

I also cannot find the burgundy utah dover on the EG site unless I google search it (as I knew it was on the site as of recently), when you go to the site and look around it's no longer there. 

Mysteries... lol (Edit: maybe not)

Slow day at the office? :D

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The variation in the swatch is just to illustrate what the burnishing will look like.

You can request light or heavy burnishing of any leather so I guess heavy is what Steve requested.

Looks like it, sorry about that lol.

Slow day at the office!
biggrin.gif

Dude, very slow. Some questions I just need answers too and I go on a mad google spree.

michaelvl

Reaction score

Guys, where Can I get EG in sizes smaller than UK 6? I had 1 pair of EG halifax ankle boots(5.5E 82last) from Japan which I love, but it's so hard to find EGs in that size except their official site, which never goes on sale and has very limited selections. 

I have a feeling that your best bet would be searching online stores in Asia or Italy, more men their with smaller feet than in Western Europe and in the U.S.A I recon. Might want to check out the following page for a list of E.G. resellers: https://www.edwardgreen.com/stockists

The last 3 years I have been wearing size UK6E and have never found anything in my size on eBay or through any other E.G. resellers. All my E.G.'s have come from E.G. directly and were purchased at full price. I have a feeling that the range between 8 - 11 are the most widely available sizes, the further of from this range you are the harder it will be to find shoes in your size, and even harder at discount.

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do you guys think EG changed burgundy utah to a new darker shade? Could explain the reason the Saks pair are on sale since it looks like old burgundy utah, same as on the GF Galway). Could pretty much keep the old color and just rename it rosewood utah imo.

Vs the new burgundy utah Dovers from GF and EG.com (I think MrV has a pair in the darker color too)

edit: Oops looks like you gents already figured it out :)

The first picture's Burgundy Galways are normal Burgundy Delapre & Normal Burgundy Utah....
Our recent stock of Dark Burgundy Utah Dovers were made specifically darker by our request to the factory as they are hand stained.

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edit: Oops looks like you gents already figured it out :)

The first picture's Burgundy Galways are normal Burgundy Delapre & Normal Burgundy Utah....
Our recent stock of Dark Burgundy Utah Dovers were made specifically darker by our request to the factory as they are hand stained.

Thanks Steve! I slowly figured this out after posting but nice to have the official explanation. I was confused about the darker Dovers that were on the EG site but now I assume it is the same story as the pairs you ordered and hand stained darker.

http://www.edwardgreen.com/shop/dover-utah-delapre-burgundy-606-last.html

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that you have the snuffs, care to revisit the snuff or mole suede question I had a few weeks ago? Which do you prefer in person? Thanks!
Just picked up two Galways today, for a nice belated Xmas present. Only have pics of one of them for now Snuff Suede Galways on the 202, dainite soles from @steveyoo1983 Very nice rich suede Mahogany pin grain galway pics coming tomorrow...

coldinboston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now that you have the snuffs, care to revisit the snuff or mole suede question I had a few weeks ago? Which do you prefer in person?

Thanks!

So here is a quick cell pic of those two side to side (snuff on 202, mole is on 72)

So I dont have any other suede shoes other than these two Galways (i have suede sneakers also but no derbies, oxfords).
I like both of these colors, but with that being said I prefer the snuff over the mole (a taupe color) as its a nice medium brown that goes well with casual wear, for me mostly denim wear. If I had no other suede shoes in similar color I would probably get that one first.
The mole is different and its great but the snuff is that medium brown that you cant go wrong with.
Hope that helps
You can get both at superdenim if you cant make the choice and are ok with the 72

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chief41510