• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's favorite shade of EG light brown? I'm looking at Edwardian, Chestnut, and Burnt Pine and having a hard time deciding/discerning. Thanks in advance.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would definitely go with the Burnt Pine. A lovely shade of brown and IMO - the closest shade of what's the Dark Oak used to be before the dark batches.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever have their Dovers slightly separating at the end of the toe? I was brushing mine down last night and noticed one was on my pair.

I doubt it would fully come apart or anything but just curious if it may be cause for concern. They are only worn a few times and would rather nip any issue in the bud if their may be one.

Last edited:

dijor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's favorite shade of EG light brown? I'm looking at Edwardian, Chestnut, and Burnt Pine and having a hard time deciding/discerning. Thanks in advance.

I think Edwardian is too light looking like cognac. Burnt pine I would go for.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on substituting cloud antique for black (everywhere, interviews, court, etc.)?  bad idea?

Wouldn't do it. That said, you really only need one pair of black shoes -- the Chelsea.

parkman24

Reaction score
Happy New Years, gentlemen!

Received a pair of Galways in the dark oak mink suede combination as a gift for Christmas from my significant other :). (Only giving gifts for each other once a year seems to pay off quite well!).

In regards to shoe care, would any of you fellow owners be able to provide some guidance and advice? Will suede protector spray affect the leather portion of the shoe? Should I put some Bick4 on these shoes before wear + the suede protector? So many questions!

As always, any input is genuinely appreciated.

Cheers!

parkman24

Reaction score
Lovely & congrats I use bick 4 sapphire cream & wax neutral & nano suede protector.
Thanks for your input @TtownMD ! Mind elaborating a bit more about your process? Do you first use the Bick 4 / cream / wax and then apply the suede protector or vice-versa? My biggest concern is the suede protector stray damaging the leather/finish of the dark oak.

Moss

Reaction score

I would definitely go with the Burnt Pine. A lovely shade of brown and IMO -  the closest shade of what's the Dark Oak used to be before the dark batches.

I'm a fan of both Burnt Pine and Dark Oak, but when did batches get darker? Is this a recent and intentional move on Edward Green's part or an anomaly?

Last edited:

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of both Burnt Pine and Dark Oak, but when did batches get darker? Is this a recent and intentional move on Edward Green's part or an anomaly?
Neither I believe. The batches they have recently sourced simply are not the same as before and have lost the character of a old Doak shade and got that look of a regular dark brown shoes, IMO.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavid20224